M5 Manual vs Panamera GTS - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > F10 M5 (2012 - 2016)

F10 M5 (2012 - 2016)
The 5th generation M5 has the V8 S63 TU engine with twin turbos under the hood producing 550hp. The engine and DCT gear box pusses the M5 0-60 in just 4.2 seconds.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: IS250 AWD
M5 Manual vs Panamera GTS

Hi all,

I've been interested in BMW's for quite a while and finally getting closer to pulling the trigger on my mid-life crisis car.

I've read all I can, watched all the videos, but still not sure which direction to go. Mostly, I just want to talk about it directly with folks who have these cars. I live in the Pacific Northwest (Tacoma), currently have an IS250 AWD. I really like AWD for many reasons, but finding a manual that can haul around a family of 4, the choices are quite limited. Yes, I'm aware of the 3 series AWD's with manuals, and that is a realistic choice.

Anyway, I'm comparing the M5 to the Panamera GTS. My budget is all in at $50k. There are many choices for the M5 at that range in manual, but only a few for the GTS (auto only). My wants are having an engaging driving experience, but the poor weather capabilities of AWD, not to mention launch capabilities. I do have a 4WD F250 so I could easily argue I don't need another 4 or All wheel drive. But, I like to drive fast in the rain on my daily commute.

Another option is the Chevy SS. While I really like that car and love the engine (carpool partner has a Corvette C6 which I ride in every other week), I think they are over priced for what they are.

Anyway, the M5 and GTS are both amazing cars, I think my real question here is whether or not you'd prefer an AWD auto or Manual RWD. Almost every car and truck in my life has been manual, my crew cab long box diesel is a manual which took forever to find.

Thanks,

Rob in Tacoma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 05:50 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Hey Rob in Tacoma!

As someone who has driven both extensively and owns one of the two cars you are considering, I'd say go with the M5 (I mean...why wouldn't I say that...I own one). You will find that the RWD BMWs perform exceptionally well in inclement weather, particularly when partnered with snow shoes if that is a concern to you. (Clear note - the Michelin Pilot Super Sports that are fan-freaking-tastic on twisty mountain roads are flat out dangerous in snow so you will want a winter set of kicks.) The Pano is a great car, but realistically it is the size of a 7, not a 5. You're also giving up 150-200 hp depending on the model year.

My biggest regret in my M5 is getting the DCT vs a manual...absolutely go for the manual M5. The F10 is probably the last of them, and they are amazing to drive. It's sad that my M5 is my first automatic. ;-)

Couple other considerations -
  • Both cars will be very expensive to maintenance. M///s are quite expensive and Porsches will be roughly 50% more expensive (Mrs. AggieKnight is a Porsche girl). Find a good independent mechanic on https://www.bimrs.org
  • The Pano will be nicer in the rear seat than the M/// and have a more upscale interior though the M///'s isn't shabby
  • Get one with less than 50k miles on it and pick up an extended warranty from a reputable organization for either car. You will thank me later.
  • If you decide that AWD > 150 ponies and a stick, definitely look at the Audi S-6 and RS-6. Both are darn good cars though I dislike the transmission in the RS-6.
  • If you really want to be a unique car driver and get wtf faces from onlookers...go check out the E63 AMG Wagon. They are all wheel drive and look like complete sleepers until you leave everyone in your dust. Some day, after my wife divorces me, I'll have one in my stable just to deliver shock/awe to folks who don't know what they are seeing

My M5 is my dream car...had wanted one since an E39 whipped the crap out of my buddies Ram-air TA in college. I'd recommend it over almost anything. However, my suggestion for anyone who requests car opinions is to go drive everything and buy what steals your heart. Cars like this must steal your heart or they are not worth it.
2014 BMW M5
Retired Bimmers:
2014 BMW i3
2013 BMW 550
2009 BMW 335
Old 02-04-2019, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: IS250 AWD
Thanks much for the response.

I'll keep learning about these machines as the time gets closer. Since this is an unnecessary toy, I'm saving to pay cash so have another few months before I can pull the trigger.

The E63 Wagons are amazing. Too far out of my budget though.

I've heard the Audi reliability is even worse than BMW so I've never considered them but will check out the 2 you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStarbuck View Post
I've heard the Audi reliability is even worse than BMW so I've never considered them but will check out the 2 you mentioned.
Keep in mind that Porsche's are "just" fancy Audis (which are actually all Volkswagens). ;-)

None of the brands I'm mentioning is cheap to maintain or extremely reliable. German cars are more complex than other brands as a result of their features. Thus they tend to have more problems over time.

That's not to say that they suck, I'm a committed German car buyer. But it might be good to keep in mind as you dip your toe into true enthusiast cars.
2014 BMW M5
Retired Bimmers:
2014 BMW i3
2013 BMW 550
2009 BMW 335

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > F10 M5 (2012 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search