Prime day bargains? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Prime day bargains?

Anyone found their 'must have' Amazon prime day bargains?

I can't find anything I just gotta have...
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 AM

*maybe* a philips hue smart bulb starter kit.... $59.99 - down from $79.99...

https://amzn.to/2lwORLD

Old 07-15-2019, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Several months ago my fire stick remote quit working. I contacted Amazon and the best they could do was give me a 15% discount on a replacement remote, which ran about 30 bux. I've been using the phone app for the remove but it can be annoying. Checked today and I was able to get a new Fire stick with remote, with my discount, for less than 10 bux. Happy about that. Not looking for much else.
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
I've been looking for the replacement for my 2016 Android watch for ab a year. A lot has changed in what I want from a watch in that short time. For instance this year, I was sold on the topo maps and trail finder. Last year I would not have given it a 2nd thought. Nor would I have spent this kinda money on a smart watch.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garmin (Medium) (2).JPG
Views:	49
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	858169  

Last edited by PropellerHead; 07-15-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 AM

I'm really underwhelmed this year - and I have almost $300 in gift cards stacked up from various gifts, attending webinars and from using bing as my search engine ($10 amazon money every 16-17 days or so) ... I'm thinking of just getting brake rotors, not discounted on prime-day, but at least I will use money that 'cost me nothing'...

we will need a new family room TV in a little while, our Sony is showing its age but I'm not finding anything I have gotta have to replace it yet.... brake rotors it is...
Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 AM

but... Brembo or Bosch?

Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 AM

Brembo
Old 07-15-2019, 09:51 AM
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'

Mein Auto: '93 "Beemer" R100r
Lots of discounts on the Samsung Galaxy and Samsung Note smartphones... just sayin'.

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:34 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
we will need a new family room TV in a little while, our Sony is showing its age but I'm not finding anything I have gotta have to replace it yet....
Interested to know where your head is on this. I, too, have a Sony LCD that was top dog when I bought it 11 years ago. The Sony reflects both an industry association that allowed me access at the time to employee pricing as well as a time when the Sony brand was more relevant to my decision than it is now.

My nephew and a buddy have both purchased TCL Roku (I think?) 6 series 4K TV's from 2018 in 55 and 75" sizes (or maybe 65"- I forget). They're thrilled. I agree that they have a good picture. Really the only thing keeping me from one in 55" or so is timing- Black Friday or the like should provide the opportunity.

But my head does drift back to the traditional/ 'higher quality' brands like Sony, LG, Toshiba, Brand X etc. Then there's 8K which is a light switch away in time to mass market for the low cost manufactures. I *ass*ume that 8K will require yet another receiver upgrade and maybe even streamers/Roku's that are yet to be released.

We don't watch a lot of TV so for now, I can wait too. But those reasons could easily be turned on their head with a smokin 4k low budget set and an outgoing 4k multimedia receiver. What brings about a compelling TV/home media upgrade for you?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Interested to know where your head is on this. I, too, have a Sony LCD that was top dog when I bought it 11 years ago. The Sony reflects both an industry association that allowed me access at the time to employee pricing as well as a time when the Sony brand was more relevant to my decision than it is now.

My nephew and a buddy have both purchased TCL Roku (I think?) 6 series 4K TV's from 2018 in 55 and 75" sizes (or maybe 65"- I forget). They're thrilled. I agree that they have a good picture. Really the only thing keeping me from one in 55" or so is timing- Black Friday or the like should provide the opportunity.

But my head does drift back to the traditional/ 'higher quality' brands like Sony, LG, Toshiba, Brand X etc. Then there's 8K which is a light switch away in time to mass market for the low cost manufactures. I *ass*ume that 8K will require yet another receiver upgrade and maybe even streamers/Roku's that are yet to be released.

We don't watch a lot of TV so for now, I can wait too. But those reasons could easily be turned on their head with a smokin 4k low budget set and an outgoing 4k multimedia receiver. What brings about a compelling TV/home media upgrade for you?

well I'm veering towards a cheap tv - this sony is 12 years old now - a Sony XBR series and it's a 47" I think.

I seem to recall the darned thing cost $5800 back then, which was a ton of money - only eclipsed by the ridiculous amount we paid for the 65" in the movie room upstairs ($7K or thereabouts).

These days, I couldn't see paying anywhere near 1/3 of that and justifying it.

But because they had large surrounds back then, I believe I can put a 55" in the same spot. I have to measure to be 100% sure, but I'm leaning towards a TCL Roku tv, or a Vizio M-Series Quantum Color - I was REALLY impressed with those when I saw them recently, and I think a 70" was $750 in Sams Club last weekend - so why spend $2k on a TV even?!?

The 50" M-Series is $469.99 - like wow - can you say get one for each room for what we paid for that 65" ?!?!?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:52 PM

yep - 55" M-Series Vizo is $599.99 on vizio.com - if I wait until the fall, when the 2020 models hit, this will probably be $499 for the 55"
Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 PM

Everybody has their vices, but I've never understood why people pay mega-dollars for televisions, especially people that say they don't watch much television. I've bought 4 TVs in the last 3-4 years. Three Insignia branded and one Sharp. All from Best Buy. I didn't pay over $200 for this Insignia TVs and was under $300 for the Sharp. Totally satisfied. Are they top quality? No. Still good enough for me though. When it comes to TVs, better is often the enemy of good enough. When one of them dies I'll have no reservations throwing it out and buying the same one.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
I've bought 4 TVs in the last 3-4 years. ... When one of them dies I'll have no reservations throwing it out and buying the same one.
+1

Since I bought the Sony 11 yrs ago, I've replaced a TV in another room twice. The last one was a 55" LG Roku that was less than $500 3 yrs ago. That's a little under 1/2 what I'd paid for the Sony. I will admit that I am happy enough with it that I do not want to slide backwards in quality so a 4K unit is probably up next. But even then, it'll have to be something silly to get me to send this one along to a family member or friend in need.

When I cut the cord 3 or 4 years ago, I did buy 2 smaller replacement Roku TV's where we had old tube units. I suspect that they were 'refurbished' or open box items since that is my preference for electronics. If memory serves, I figured the cost of an external Roku at the time was around $80 off the cost of a built-in streamer.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search