G20 Issues - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)

G20 (2019 - Current)

Old 09-01-2019, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto:
G20 Issues

I've been a BMW customer since 1975. I acquired my 30th car 3 months ago, a 330i. I was also an early buyer of the 2002 7 series, possibly the darkest time of BMW. I do have a perspective of what happens when BMW rolls out a totally revamped model. In 3 words, "It ain't pretty".

I see from the posts, members are having an assortment of problems. I feel your pain. I had several technology-related problems involving the garage door opener, the lane departure/steering intervention, and false Connected Drive notifications. I cleared all of them myself except for the last one because only BMW can fix it.

I want to mention something else that potential buyers should be aware of. As of this date, BMW is equipping 90% of 330i cars with their substandard "Hi-Fi" sound system. If you want the Harman Kardon upgrade, it's available on some 330i's priced at roughly $49k and up. Maybe you'll be lucky and find it for less. Furthermore, this Harman Kardon is not as robust as the units previously offered. The amplifier goes from 600 watts down to 360 watts, a 40% decrease in power. Speaker count goes from 14 to 12. The option is only $875 and requires the $1700 Driving Assistant Pro package, which has nothing to do with audio. I have the package as do many others, but couldn't find one with the better sound system in Arizona unless I spent over $50k.

I regret buying this car, and as a customer of 44 years, I'd never thought I'd utter those words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
BMW and other luxury cars have bundled options for years. Nothing new. As far as the Harmon Kardon specs, worry about the sound not the power or number of speakers.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
My 2014 H-K is much better than my 2002 H-K was. I can tell the difference, and I have a tin ear.

The reason BMW bundles options in the U.S. more than in other markets is that a large number of new BMW's here are sold off the lot. So, cars are configured to appeal to a large segment of the off-the-lot buyers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 04:51 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
It is amazing that the inability to keep a car is viewed by some as some sort of cachet qualification validating something.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
It is amazing that the inability to keep a car is viewed by some as some sort of cachet qualification validating something.
Frau Putzer is 60 years old, and got her fifth car last year. Her first car was used, the rest new. I've had 13, new and used. But, my eight new ones have stayed around an average of 7+ years and an average of 100k miles. My new car averages would have been 8.5 years and 116k miles, but BMW #2 was involved in an unfortunate mishap and only around 59 days and 914 miles.

A friend of mine is a serial leaser. He's a GS-13, in his mid-60's, and flat broke. Three years ago, he was complaining about not being able to afford to retire (on CSRS with 40+ years). I mentioned that leasing cars is a big part of his problem. He got pissed and said "I don't want to see any of your spreadsheets... leasing works for me." I got an e-mail from him last week saying that he's finally figured out why he's broke and he's going to buy his next car.

My Honda string trimmer is 19 years old. It needs a carburetor every nine or ten years, and the last one was hard to find. It might go on the scrap metal pile at 29 years. My last B&S lawn mower was 18 years old. Parts were no longer available, and I needed a bagger/mulcher mower. So, I gave it to one of Frau Putzer's marginally-functional friends so she could cut the weeds around her house trailer.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 09-04-2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:17 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharrow48 View Post
As of this date, BMW is equipping 90% of 330i cars with their substandard "Hi-Fi" sound system. If you want the Harman Kardon upgrade, it's available on some 330i's priced at roughly $49k and up. I ... couldn't find one with the better sound system in Arizona unless I spent over $50k.
BMW is doing no such thing. BMW's dealers equip cars for inventory with packages and options they believe will sell quickly. The ones in your area apparently don't think the upgraded audio helps sell lightly-optioned cars.

If you want cars equipped a certain way, order them and wait the 8-10 weeks for delivery. That won't circumvent package and bundling restrictions but does guarantee the options you really want are on the car. After 30 cars in 44 years I would have thought you'd take advantage of that whenever possible.

(Incidentally, Harman Kardon audio is tied to Live Cockpit Pro ($1,100), not Driver Assistance Professional. There are technical reasons why that actually makes sense.)

BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 09-04-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
After 30 cars in 44 years I would have thought you'd take advantage of that whenever possible.
Frankly, I cannot imagine getting 30 cars off the lot. I got my very first car I bought here from the lot and am still pi$$ed off about it. A little bit less than getting my perfect, forever grocery-getter confiscated which was a low point for me in my 18 years in this country. Hapless, nothing to do while crooks feast. Horrible. Worse than communist party 5 year conventions.

BMW and few other brands offer a penicilline to organized crime syndicate called NADA and Detroit Three here. Frankly, buying a Porsche vehicle off the dealer's lot should get you a jail sentence for impeding and interfering with free market transactions (check configurator for absolutely ANY vehicle in the list on their Web page). IMO only, of course.

Carry on. As you were.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]

Last edited by Mark K; 09-04-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 330i M-sport
I've had mine for two months now. While I love looking at it, and the seats are actually comfortable (I'd been concerned, coming from an SUV), I'd say my issues are:

I agree with you that the base stereo sounds like crap.

More of a problem is that the car is lurchy, coming to a stop. It also sometimes hesitates massively when you step on the gas, then you get whiplash when it decides to go. The lurchiness gets a bit better in Sport mode but is still there. I had the same problem with a 2007 328ix, which of course back then was a 6, but it was so bad, I got out of that lease and got a 335i, which had no probs at all. So is the lurchiness due to the transmission, or the engine, or both...?

The "preset" setting for the radio will not stay on. Every time I turn the car on, it defaults back to the last mode I was in. Even today, on a long drive, I changed it to presets and DURING THE DRIVE, it switched back to Sirius mode. It's really a pain because I like scrolling through my presets with the arrows on the steering wheel controls.

2008 335i
2000 528i
1989 325i
Old 09-04-2019, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto:
[QUOTE=Doug Huffman;13096563]It is amazing that the inability to keep a car is viewed by some as some sort of cachet qualification validating something."

Well gee whiz Doug. Aren't you special?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto:
Post deleted.

Last edited by pharrow48; 09-05-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Posted Accidentally
Old 09-05-2019, 05:29 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
(Incidentally, Harman Kardon audio is tied to Live Cockpit Pro ($1,100), not Driver Assistance Professional. There are technical reasons why that actually makes sense.)
Thank you Zeichen311, you are absolutely correct.

I confirmed via the order/pricing guide here on Bimmerfest and the slightly improved "Build Your Own" section of bmwusa.com that a MY 2020 330i for the U.S. market equipped with the "Harman Kardon surround sound system" retails for $43,720. As you noted, the option must be paired with "Live Cockpit Pro (incl. Navi)", but there are no other ordering constraints beyond that.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:04 AM

We got our Spartanburg-built G01 X3 in five weeks. My Dingolfing-built F10 535i took twelve weeks, but part of that was a delay due to me getting BMW Individual leather and wood.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto:
BMW Hi Fi Sound System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
BMW and other luxury cars have bundled options for years. Nothing new. As far as the Harmon Kardon specs, worry about the sound not the power or number of speakers.
You are partially correct up to a point. I am concerned with the sound. As an audiophile and BMW enthusiast, I require both to be of high quality. I do not have any MP3 music. At a minimum, everything is of CD quality and much is remastered hi-res (example: the CD "Red Book" standard is 44.1kHz, or 44,100 samples per second at 16 bits). Hi-res (high resolution) audio files can have rates of 192kHz at 192,000 samples per second at 24 bits. Does hi-res sound better? Compared to MP3 or M4a, the answer is a resounding yes. Compared to CD quality, the answer is not so simple. As you move up the the ladder to high end and ultra high end audio equipment, most people will hear a significant difference. (There are scholarly articles on both sides of this debate as well as actual A/B studies). Does this matter in a car? Absolutely!. A car is a "controlled room". Assume every 2019 330i has the same size interior. A serious audio engineer can design and tune a car audio system to sound amazing. The BMW standard Hi Fi system does not show any evidence of a properly engineered system. That's ok, most car makers' basic systems aren't very good either. The Harman Kardon Logic 7 is no gamechanger, but it is far superior to the basic system, as it has a better amp and better speakers, and an equalizer as opposed to just bass and treble controls. Regarding amplifier power and speakers, if they are not correctly "component matched" and tuned for a specific car, then nothing matters. The result will be bad. BMW has also partnered with Bowers & Wilkins,(B&W), a British company founded in 1966. In the audiophile world, B&W has produced some of the best home audio speakers in the world. The B&W system is available on the new 8 series. I'm not sure what other cars in the line have it as an available option. Apologies for the long response. I want to provide as much information as possible to support both sides of this issue. If you want to know the best factory installed sound systems on the market today, the link below will be helpful.
https://carbuzz.com/features/best-in...om-the-factory
Old 09-05-2019, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Car Lurchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBeauty View Post
I've had mine for two months now. While I love looking at it, and the seats are actually comfortable (I'd been concerned, coming from an SUV), I'd say my issues are:

I agree with you that the base stereo sounds like crap.

More of a problem is that the car is lurchy, coming to a stop. It also sometimes hesitates massively when you step on the gas, then you get whiplash when it decides to go. The lurchiness gets a bit better in Sport mode but is still there. I had the same problem with a 2007 328ix, which of course back then was a 6, but it was so bad, I got out of that lease and got a 335i, which had no probs at all. So is the lurchiness due to the transmission, or the engine, or both...?

The "preset" setting for the radio will not stay on. Every time I turn the car on, it defaults back to the last mode I was in. Even today, on a long drive, I changed it to presets and DURING THE DRIVE, it switched back to Sirius mode. It's really a pain because I like scrolling through my presets with the arrows on the steering wheel controls.
When you state "the car is lurchy", I assume you are stopped and not in sport mode. The possible reason for this is when not in sport mode, the Auto Start/Stop feature (A button on control panel near shift knob) that turns off the engine when you come to a stop light or stop sign for example, is always on. To the best of my knowledge, you can only turn it off when in sport mode. ( If anyone knows differently, please chime in). Notice in sport mode there is an led light next to the button, indicating the Auto Start Stop is off. If the engine off feature is engaged, when you hit the gas, the engine must restart before you fly away, hence the lurch or delay. If you suspect there's something else going on, bring it in to the dealer. As of 9/5/2019 there is a software upgrade you need anyway if you don't have WiFi in the car. If WiFi is equipped and on, the car is supposed to update itself and notify you when you start it up. If you haven't already, download the BMW Connected Drive app to your phone.

As for the preset radio problem, I recommend you make an appointment with a Genius to see what's going on. Simultaneously, I would schedule a potential service appointment with a loaner. This way you cover your bases if the Genius can't fix it.

I hope that helps. If those are the only problems you have, you are very lucky. Mine has Bluetooth failures, COM failures, USB port failures, garage opener failures, lane intervention problems, and more. It was at the dealer Monday and they saw it all. Service was closed, so a Genius worked on it. On Tuesday I attempted to take it for a ride and there was another failure. I drove it to the dealer and spent an hour explaining all the issues. They claimed they have fixed everything using a new software version. I couldn't get any detailed explanation out of them. To make sure they did repair everything, I have their #1 Genius driving it here so we can set it up together.

Good luck and don't give up. As problems crop up, bring it in. It's inconvenient, but if some of these cars pose continuous problems, you have to be persistent.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharrow48 View Post
You are partially correct up to a point. I am concerned with the sound. As an audiophile and BMW enthusiast, I require both to be of high quality. I do not have any MP3 music. At a minimum, everything is of CD quality and much is remastered hi-res (example: the CD "Red Book" standard is 44.1kHz, or 44,100 samples per second at 16 bits). Hi-res (high resolution) audio files can have rates of 192kHz at 192,000 samples per second at 24 bits. Does hi-res sound better? Compared to MP3 or M4a, the answer is a resounding yes. Compared to CD quality, the answer is not so simple. As you move up the the ladder to high end and ultra high end audio equipment, most people will hear a significant difference. (There are scholarly articles on both sides of this debate as well as actual A/B studies). Does this matter in a car? Absolutely!. A car is a "controlled room". Assume every 2019 330i has the same size interior. A serious audio engineer can design and tune a car audio system to sound amazing. The BMW standard Hi Fi system does not show any evidence of a properly engineered system. That's ok, most car makers' basic systems aren't very good either. The Harman Kardon Logic 7 is no gamechanger, but it is far superior to the basic system, as it has a better amp and better speakers, and an equalizer as opposed to just bass and treble controls. Regarding amplifier power and speakers, if they are not correctly "component matched" and tuned for a specific car, then nothing matters. The result will be bad. BMW has also partnered with Bowers & Wilkins,(B&W), a British company founded in 1966. In the audiophile world, B&W has produced some of the best home audio speakers in the world. The B&W system is available on the new 8 series. I'm not sure what other cars in the line have it as an available option. Apologies for the long response. I want to provide as much information as possible to support both sides of this issue. If you want to know the best factory installed sound systems on the market today, the link below will be helpful.
https://carbuzz.com/features/best-in...om-the-factory
I am an audiophile too. I never expect audiophile sound in a car. Itís a recipe for disappointment. As simple as that.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:57 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I am an audiophile too. I never expect audiophile sound in a car. Itís a recipe for disappointment. As simple as that.
+1. Digital HiFi / audiophile is an oxymoron.

Notice the resurgence of analogue circuitry and vinyl media.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBeauty View Post
This is a change that BMW made to the iDrive software. When I called to complain about it, they tried to tell me it was an enhancement.

Complain directly to BMW and tell them how much you hate this "Enhancement".

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)
Today's Posts Search