Front Brake Maintenance - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)

X3 G01 (2018 - current)
The third generation X3 starts production in August of 2017 and will include the new X3 M40i top of the line performance model.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 XDrive30i
Front Brake Maintenance

I have an '18 Xdrive30i with about 28K on it. Disappointingly, the front rotors already have thickness variation. Owned a '15 28d that I LOVED, and should've never sold, and drove it 60K and never had a single brake issue. I live in Germany (US spec though) and dealers here call brakes "normal wear and tear" and won't even consider warranty. So, unless I want to get into it with BMW USA and see if they will honor the fix in Germany (unlikely) I'll need to do it myself.

I've read some "just turn 'em and re-bed the brakes, you'll be fine" and some "go with new rotors and pads".

Question 1: anyone else had premature TV with their G01?
Question 2: listed genuine BMW rotors range from ~$100/piece for a L/R universal or ~$250 for directional--are the directionals an M40-only part?
Question 3: anyone turned their factory rotors and been successful after the fact? And yes I know I need to maintain min thickness.
Question 4: I'm pretty particular to BMW parts cuz, usually, they work quite well and as-intended. Maybe they missed the mark on the non-M40 front rotors, so which other brand has anyone used with success?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by carl425; 09-14-2019 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Mis-numbering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
In my opinion, you should save the potentially wasted time in trying to get it covered under warranty. Because the factory front brakes did not last as long as you expected, I would definitely pay to get an upgraded rotor set.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:21 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 750ix 2019 X3 30
28000 miles on front rotors is not out of the ordinary. There is zero chance BMW will do a warranty repair for that. Add the complication that you are in Germany, and the chance is less than zero. Waste of time.

Rotors can be turned depending on thickness, so there is no quick answer on turn vs. replace. If it were me, and I planned to keep the car for any period of time, I'd put in new rotors. Why? because new rotors almost by definition will last longer than thinner turned rotors. Buying new saves the cost of turning as well. In either case, rotors need to be removed (and reinstalled or replaced) so the labor there is the same. And in either case, depending on the state of the pads, you might want to replace them at the same time. Look at it as an opportunity to get upgraded rotors and pads.
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39, F31 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X5, 2018 BMW X3
I have a 18 xDrive3.0 as well and both my front abs rear rotors had issues at 27,500 miles. The tires also needed replacement.

Dealer covered rear pads and rotors, truing up the front rotors and new front pads all under warranty.

I noticed the problem when braking from 35mph to a complete stop ... the Shop Foreman took a drive with me and suspected it was the rotors.

The car has been fine since the service and new tires which I paid for.

Very surprised this happened so early - especially since I donít drive the car too hard.

Now at 32k and all good ...

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 09-17-2019, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 XDrive30i
Thanks for the replies thus far. Leaning toward new rotors and pads at this point. Anyone know about the two different P/N's? Are the more expensive, directional rotors an M40-only option?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search