i3 coding - Page 11 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceEight View Post
When you say:

"You only need to VO code."

Can you clarify that? Do mean add 6NS?

What am I missing?
You stated the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceEight View Post
ALSO
Make all of these Aktiv except Single_or_Multilink. Make that Multilink.
You only need to add 6NS to FA and VO code HU_NBT. The only FDL coding you need to do is switch microphone back to one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: i3
I just got my I3 back from the dealer. I had a check engine light and mold in the AC system. They must have updated my ECU since all my codes have been cleared when I got it back. I tried recoding using the E-sys , E-sys Launcher and PSzDLite Data that I used previously but the only CAFD that didn't throw an error was the HU_NBT. I was wondering if I could get the links to the latest and greatest E-sys software and PSzDLite Data files.

Thanks in Advance!

Dave
Old 08-03-2017, 04:08 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by d451d View Post
I just got my I3 back from the dealer. I had a check engine light and mold in the AC system. They must have updated my ECU since all my codes have been cleared when I got it back. I tried recoding using the E-sys , E-sys Launcher and PSzDLite Data that I used previously but the only CAFD that didn't throw an error was the HU_NBT. I was wondering if I could get the links to the latest and greatest E-sys software and PSzDLite Data files.

Thanks in Advance!

Dave
PM sent.

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanks Shawn,

I installed all the E-sys and PSdZData and I'm still getting the following errors and info while trying to read coding data. A couple work but most still fail. I attached a pic of what I am getting. Could the PSdZData be too new?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	634793  
Old 08-03-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks Shawn,

I installed all the E-sys and PSdZData and I'm still getting the following errors and info while trying to read coding data. A couple work but most still fail. I attached a pic of what I am getting. Could the PSdZData be too new?

Dave
Doesn't Map to an Item means either Incorrect E-Sys Launcher Car Series Selected or Incorrect E-Sys Connection Target Selected.

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Doesn't Map to an Item means either Incorrect E-Sys Launcher Car Series Selected or Incorrect E-Sys Connection Target Selected.
Oh damn. I did use the wrong connection target. Question is if I made changes to items under the HU_CBT cafd under the F001 target, will they match up to the same items under the I001 target? Or should I reverse my mistake by loading the F001 and undoing those changes first?

Dave
Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Oh damn. I did use the wrong connection target. Question is if I made changes to items under the HU_CBT cafd under the F001 target, will they match up to the same items under the I001 target? Or should I reverse my mistake by loading the F001 and undoing those changes first?

Dave
The changes you already made are fine. Those ECU's mapped properly as they were common to both chassis.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:14 PM

Sounds good. I was worried that I might've caused a bit of mischief for my wife. She just took the car out to get some dinner.

Dave
Old 08-16-2017, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW i3
If the i3 truly has a 9 liter gas tank (2.37 gallons), why does the esys cheat sheet tell you to set the tank to _8 liter? I'm referring to the word doc sheet that is included in the "cheat sheet" folder with all the other cheat sheets.

Quote:
3005. ***61664; TNK_LITER_REHCTS set to: mcv_rex_liter_kl_rechts
3005. ***61664; TNK_OHM_REHCTS set to: mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts
3005. ***61664; TNK_VOLL_ANZEIG set to: _8 liter size
Old 08-16-2017, 06:29 AM
Achtung! Hochspannung!

Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
If the i3 truly has a 9 liter gas tank (2.37 gallons), why does the esys cheat sheet tell you to set the tank to _8 liter? I'm referring to the word doc sheet that is included in the "cheat sheet" folder with all the other cheat sheets.
There is no option for 9L, only 7L and 8L(and then up to over 20L).

I assume it is because the last liter or so of gas in the tank is unusable due to pickup screen limitations.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 08-16-2017, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post
It depends on year of car as to the tank size and whether coding is necessary.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW i3
Hey Shawn, just picked up a CPO 2014 i3 and my coding cable - can you send me the most recent links to the E-Sys and PSDZData software. Does the current version run fine on the latest Windows 10? I plan to do the coding with my Surface tablet and an Ethernet to CAT5 adapter, hooked up to my coding cable of course...
Old 08-30-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterferrell View Post
Hey Shawn, just picked up a CPO 2014 i3 and my coding cable - can you send me the most recent links to the E-Sys and PSDZData software. Does the current version run fine on the latest Windows 10? I plan to do the coding with my Surface tablet and an Ethernet to CAT5 adapter, hooked up to my coding cable of course...
Win 10 is fine. PM sent.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterferrell View Post
I'm not answering for Shawn, but I have the same hardware you're describing; I had no issue on my surface pro 3 with Windows 10 (creators update) using the USB to ethernet adapter.

Hope that helps for anyone else wondering.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-14-2017, 08:53 AM

Any ideas if battery swap involves coding? Some German owners of 60Ah have upgraded to 94Ah but only through dealers. There are a lot of salvage i3s about. Seeing as only 5% of LiOn batts ar fully recycled (vrs >90% of Pbacid ones) makes sense to keep an older BEV or Rex going with newer battery - dealer option means the 60Ah goes back to BMW but DIYer could use it in the house.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekranoplan View Post
Any ideas if battery swap involves coding? Some German owners of 60Ah have upgraded to 94Ah but only through dealers. There are a lot of salvage i3s about. Seeing as only 5% of LiOn batts ar fully recycled (vrs >90% of Pbacid ones) makes sense to keep an older BEV or Rex going with newer battery - dealer option means the 60Ah goes back to BMW but DIYer could use it in the house.
Battery swaps always require registering to ensure proper calibration. If you change size, then coding is also needed.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Battery swaps always require registering to ensure proper calibration. If you change size, then coding is also needed.
The last time I checked this too, in America at least, the REX i3s were going to be excluded, at least initially. I had thought the battery swap program was years away?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 AM

Yes REx models didn't appear to be included in dealer swap.

It makes sense for BEVs in winter climates where range can go down quite a bit, especially if no heat pump fitted.

Any idea what might be needed coding wise? Disconnect HV power, remove plug and Air Con connection then the main unit drops out pretty easily (beware 250kg bulky item!).

Heat pump cars have different AirCon valve at battery pack.

Physical changes look simple enough - SOC/Max Kappa might show quite differently ?

Any recommends for sotware and diagnostics hardware?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Any recommends for sotware and diagnostics hardware?
E-sys, ENET, and ISTA+.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
E-sys, ENET, and ISTA+.
Many thanks.

Any recommended suppliers?

Are there chapters to look at on ISTA to perform calibration / balancing?
Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Many thanks.

Any recommended suppliers?

Are there chapters to look at on ISTA to perform calibration / balancing?
You can get ENET almost anywhere (eg, Ebay, Amazon), but recommend someone with good seller rating.

For E-sys and ISTA+, you can get over in Coding/Programming Subform. There is getting started guide there as well and ISTA+ is especially very user friendly.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You can get ENET almost anywhere (eg, Ebay, Amazon), but recommend someone with good seller rating.

For E-sys and ISTA+, you can get over in Coding/Programming Subform. There is getting started guide there as well and ISTA+ is especially very user friendly.
Many thanks!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Many thanks!
Old 09-23-2017, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW i3 Rex
I just had my 2014 i3 rex updated to the latest software and so I need to recode. Could I please get the links to the latest and greatest E-sys software and PSzDLite Data files that will work for this latest update? Thanks--
Old 09-23-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschmutzer View Post
I just had my 2014 i3 rex updated to the latest software and so I need to recode. Could I please get the links to the latest and greatest E-sys software and PSzDLite Data files that will work for this latest update? Thanks--
PM sent.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search