F30 vs new GTI... - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i
I considered a Golf SEL prior to dgate, but the price was just too much compared to BMW CPO pricing. Now that model no longer exists, and while the Wolfsdburg is a good deal if you were shopping the S, it's poor if you were looking SEL given what has been cut. This should force more consumers into the GTI.

One question- what's insurance like on the GTI compared to both the Golf and the BMW? One reason I stayed away from GTI was that I expected insurance costs would be at least at BMW levels if not higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar View Post
I considered a Golf SEL prior to dgate, but the price was just too much compared to BMW CPO pricing. Now that model no longer exists, and while the Wolfsdburg is a good deal if you were shopping the S, it's poor if you were looking SEL given what has been cut. This should force more consumers into the GTI.

One question- what's insurance like on the GTI compared to both the Golf and the BMW? One reason I stayed away from GTI was that I expected insurance costs would be at least at BMW levels if not higher.
I am paying about $150.00 more/year on the GTI than my 2014 BMW. Other areas may be different. The tri-county area around Detroit has some of the highest insurance rates in the country. That makes my rates at about $1850.00/year with broad form collision and a $500.00 collision deductible.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Congrats Michael! They are great cars. I specially like the R brakes on the PP and the LSD. VW did it right with this current GTI. The Sport model is the best spec IMHO too. I love the plaid seats.
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Curious if you cross shopped with WRX?
I did and ended up picking one up but like Michael stated, it is a bit "rough" around the edges if you are coming from a BMW .
Old 10-19-2016, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
I drove and checked out the Mk7 when it first came out and it was much improved over the Mk6, which I owned for 3 years. That car was so much fun to drive and just one big rolling pile of little problems, glitches and annoyances. I hear the Mk7's are much improved in terms of reliability as well. If you can hang with the look and vibe of the hatchback, the GTI is a good way to go and yes they are expensive to insure. My insurance on the 328i is still less than the GTI was. Great 6 speed manual feel on those cars.

Well done.

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5
Old 10-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
I drove and checked out the Mk7 when it first came out and it was much improved over the Mk6, which I owned for 3 years. That car was so much fun to drive and just one big rolling pile of little problems, glitches and annoyances. I hear the Mk7's are much improved in terms of reliability as well. If you can hang with the look and vibe of the hatchback, the GTI is a good way to go and yes they are expensive to insure. My insurance on the 328i is still less than the GTI was. Great 6 speed manual feel on those cars.

Well done.
Thanks and congrats on your new 328i.

So far am very impressed with this little runabout. It's so much fun to drive! I hope it's reliable, I think VW has improved on that front but we shall see. Their reputation is pretty poor right now.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i M Sport
I have a '14 335i M-Sport. Purchased a '16 Autobahn GTI (manual) in July and LOVE it. It just seems to "fit" me better than the BMW. My partner has a 328i Sport Line and I actually prefer his car to the 335i, but like the GTI the best. Got a great deal on a leftover 2016. 2,000 miles in so far and no squeaks or rattles. Hopefully the reliability will be better than the BMW, which required a new fuel pump at 1,000 miles, and had the heads up display replaced at 2,000 miles. Now the BMW sits in the driveway while I ride out the next 16 months of the lease.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxjames View Post
I have a '14 335i M-Sport. Purchased a '16 Autobahn GTI (manual) in July and LOVE it. It just seems to "fit" me better than the BMW. My partner has a 328i Sport Line and I actually prefer his car to the 335i, but like the GTI the best. Got a great deal on a leftover 2016. 2,000 miles in so far and no squeaks or rattles. Hopefully the reliability will be better than the BMW, which required a new fuel pump at 1,000 miles, and had the heads up display replaced at 2,000 miles. Now the BMW sits in the driveway while I ride out the next 16 months of the lease.

Wow- did you look into putting the gti on leasetrader or something similar?
Old 10-21-2016, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxjames View Post
Is your M sport 335 an X drive with Base suspension?

@Michael, glad you decided to post this in the 3 series forum, its obviously valid as the thread traffic shows. Even though the vehicle is technically a hot hatch and in a different class, I thought a lot of people might have actually cross shopped the cars, and it appears that this is true (either cross shopped or have owned in the past).

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 10-21-2016, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Fusion SEL
Thank you for this post!

I'm currently torn between a new GTI Autobahn, new Passat SEL Premium or a CPO 328i xDrive. This post helps out a lot.

I know I'd be paying more for the GTI than the 328 because it is new but I really want features like autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist and Apple CarPlay.

The Passat would be to be "taken more seriously" in my next role as an outside sales rep. But I think I could pull that off with the GTI.

The BMW is because I've always wanted one and I LOVED the rental I had a few years ago. I've been motivated to have one ever since. But it doesn't have CarPlay and lacks some safety features. Plus it takes premium fuel where the Passat and GTI take regular.

The fact that the GTI is more "fun" and I can get adaptive suspension and features I want for about $20k less brand new pushes me in the direction of the GTI.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAmmo View Post
Thank you for this post!

I'm currently torn between a new GTI Autobahn, new Passat SEL Premium or a CPO 328i xDrive. This post helps out a lot.

I know I'd be paying more for the GTI than the 328 because it is new but I really want features like autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist and Apple CarPlay.

The Passat would be to be "taken more seriously" in my next role as an outside sales rep. But I think I could pull that off with the GTI.

The BMW is because I've always wanted one and I LOVED the rental I had a few years ago. I've been motivated to have one ever since. But it doesn't have CarPlay and lacks some safety features. Plus it takes premium fuel where the Passat and GTI take regular.

The fact that the GTI is more "fun" and I can get adaptive suspension and features I want for about $20k less brand new pushes me in the direction of the GTI.
The Autobahn definitely gets you a lot of features. I'm a sales rep and it's rare that my customer's even see my car. But if you entertain, the Passat might be a better choice. If your priorities are driving dynamics, the GTI is the winner without question of the 3 you listed. If you can get the BMW xDrive with adaptive suspension, that would help a lot.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:31 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
The new 'Nogaro' 18" wheel looks sharp! I believe it is unique to the GTI Sport; other GTIs still use the 'Austin' wheel design from previous years.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Congratulations, Michael.

Since the criminals in our Government decided to steal my Golf TDI, I will most probably end up in the same exact car you have - only option being PP. Unless I can find reasonable Mazda dealer and MT+ cloth seats are available in Mazda 3 in "s" trim with 184 hp engine, it is pretty much a given to get GTI.

I would really prefer to keep MkVI TDI until wheels fall off, but I do not have that option. One thing you might have forgotten : my TDI has a base/standard stereo about three times better than standard I had in E92 and it is still a bit better than upgraded stereo you get with 2016 "S" trim in Cayman. It is unbelievably good. I hope GTI has the same or better system.

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 10-21-2016, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
The Autobahn definitely gets you a lot of features. I'm a sales rep and it's rare that my customer's even see my car. But if you entertain, the Passat might be a better choice. If your priorities are driving dynamics, the GTI is the winner without question of the 3 you listed. If you can get the BMW xDrive with adaptive suspension, that would help a lot.
Any comparison of GTI with Civic Sport? The Civic Type R is not out yet but the new Civic in general seems to be quite impressive. As garage space frees up the GTI(based on this review) and Type R probably will be on my list to test drive.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Congratulations, Michael.

Since the criminals in our Government decided to steal my Golf TDI, I will most probably end up in the same exact car you have - only option being PP. Unless I can find reasonable Mazda dealer and MT+ cloth seats are available in Mazda 3 in "s" trim with 184 hp engine, it is pretty much a given to get GTI.

I would really prefer to keep MkVI TDI until wheels fall off, but I do not have that option. One thing you might have forgotten : my TDI has a base/standard stereo about three times better than standard I had in E92 and it is still a bit better than upgraded stereo you get with 2016 "S" trim in Cayman. It is unbelievably good. I hope GTI has the same or better system.
VW engineering are the criminals by the way, gaming the system.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Any comparison of GTI with Civic Sport? The Civic Type R is not out yet but the new Civic in general seems to be quite impressive. As garage space frees up the GTI(based on this review) and Type R probably will be on my list to test drive.
Different type of car really. CTR is a "street" track weapon, GTI is more of a sporty Golf. The Si would be a better comparison. I will take a close look at one myself but I don't think I would get over the styling...The GTI on the other hand looks sporty yet it does not offend, very elegant design in comparison.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
This is way OT but I disagree. The entire thing was blown way out of proportion.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Never even gave it a thought. I find it ugly and it doesn't make enough power.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Michael, how do you like the entertainment interface on your VW? Are you using CarPlay?

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa

Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 10-21-2016, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
Different type of car really. CTR is a "street" track weapon, GTI is more of a sporty Golf. The Si would be a better comparison. I will take a close look at one myself but I don't think I would get over the styling...The GTI on the other hand looks sporty yet it does not offend, very elegant design in comparison.
It is true that GTI has Euro styling, while Civic styling is, confused? At least Si does not have the trunk wing of Type R.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:

+1

That and VWs erratic reputation for reliability are the 2 biggest things that hold me back from getting a VW
Old 10-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
Michael, how do you like the entertainment interface on your VW? Are you using CarPlay?
It's easy to use for the most part. The sound system is average and I may look into better drivers eventually. The interface itself is intuitive except for the music I have on a USB drive. It's much better at streaming from my iPhone or using Pandora through CarPlay. Sirius/XM is included (free for 3 months) and that's my preferred source.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328 X-Drive
Congrats on the new car, Michael!
2015 BMW 328 X-drive : Dinan Stage 1: Dinan Exhaust: Dinan Springs: Dinan Supplemental Ride: Dinan Intercooler: Dinan Pedals: BMW Performance Headlight Bulbs : Bimmertech Front/Rear Cameras: Bimmertech MirrorCast : BMWCCA Member #516886 (Feel free to use my BMWCCA # for a referral).
Old 10-21-2016, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Fusion SEL
Quote:
I love the features of the Autobahn but the problem is you get up to $37k with all the options before incentives.

Passat? Under $32k for the SEL Premium, and the incentives are much better on the Passat than the GTI. I know it's been somewhat "Americanized" but it feels like you can drive 120 MPH on the highways and feel perfectly stable and handles well in the corners. Lower insurance, likely lower cost of maintenance, there's more creature comforts too. It makes it hard to resist the value equation behind a car that will give me 90% of the performance in day to day driving.

My right brain and my left brain are fighting once again.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
+1

That and VWs erratic reputation for reliability are the 2 biggest things that hold me back from getting a VW
VW has been 50/50 for me. Wife is on her 2nd Tiguan, both of which have been flawless but those are new, leased cars. Same engine as the GTI which was literally one thing after another and when I went to sell it, the stack of service records looked like a dictionary. 42k miles on it and it had been to the dealer more than every car I had ever had, put together. Was sure fun to drive though. I would just turn up the stereo or put the windows down not to hear all the squeaking and creaking and rattling and wind noise and just endure the bone crushing suspension on rough roads.

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search