Windshield Replacement and Re-Calibration - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)

G20 (2019 - Current)

Old 09-18-2019, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: G20 2019 330i XDrive
Windshield Replacement and Re-Calibration

Wish me luck....After 3 weeks waiting for my OEM windshield to arrive (Safelight had nothing in stock because the car is so new....also make sure you explain to anyone ordering your windshield that the 2019 330i is NOT the same as a 2019 3-series GT) I'm finally getting it replaced. I got a bad chip from a road trip in August that turned into a crack that was half way across the glass.

My concerns/questions are this:

Anyone experienced the re-calibration of all the ADAS in a newer BMW? My car has all systems available-Advanced Driver Pro package; Lane departure, Lane Keeping Assist, Frontal collision warning, Traffic Sign recognition, Traffic Jam Assist, etc.

I am super nervous about how my HUD will look as well as the front-facing camera that operates most of the ADAS in conjunction with the active RADAR/LIDAR, etc.

The SafeLight tech. just called to go over the appointment and told me he needs to drive it on a road with "lines" for 10 minutes while hooked up to his computer to re-calibrate. Obviously I'm not letting him drive it alone.

What/how can I test it afterwards to be sure they are all working? What suggestions do you all have for me?? Should I make an appointment at my dealership regardless after the fact? (I know that sounds a little paranoid). Would a dealer even know how/what to check or verify to make sure it all works properly? I don't want to just wait to be in an unfortunate situation where the frontal collision detection fails obviously.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 11:30 AM

UPDATE:

The glass install went smoothly...the glass was ordered through a dealership oddly enough even though my local dealership said they, "don't deal with glass." The appropriate labeling and marking in lower right corner was verbatim my factory glass and included the wording signifying the appropriate inside coating for the HUD.

HOWEVER: SafeLight uses a tablet to do their calibrations. My G20 3 series is NOT in their system. After he connected it and we tried to do a manual look up (VIN lookup failed) it found a choice but then no available tests were there. I had to make a local service appointment at the dealer for tomorrow morning. I'll report back any information the dealer tells me. He had no clue about when their systems would get updated. It's not great that 9 months after my car was manufactured they don't have a way to calibrate the ADAS....I honestly trust a BMW dealership more than SafeLight anyway BUT all of you take note that for now this is an annoying 2-step/2-visit process.

One key note is that even though their tablet had no proper way to run the calibration the tech DID confirm again that the order stated the re-calibration was dynamic-meaning it involves driving. I'll confirm with the dealer at check in tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: Night Rod Special
Thanks for your posting and keeping us informed of your process. With all the high tech options that a windshield replacement might impact, this posting will be helpful to many. Seems windshield chips and cracks are getting more prevalent these days.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Wasn't able to update over the weekend....but the BMW dealership charged around $156 for the calibration which was explained as basically their diagnostic fee for something unrelated to another warrantable issue in progress-which is totally understandable. Now I'll just have to deal with insurance for reimbursement. The shop foreman did say that it was done with a computer hook-up then a short drive to verify and that after I picked it up within 7 miles of further driving everything would be set. He did say that if anything was off that the 3 series would tell me-warnings, system messages etc. He did also mention that the only time they would need to do a fixed guided-learning calibration with lasers, objects, etc in the shop is if it involved the front bumper or rear sensors being replaced from an accident, etc. That's good to know since the cameras and the front and rear radar/lidar all work together at times so it seems like a windshield replacement and re-calibration is much easier and smoother.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspenser View Post
Wish me luck....After 3 weeks waiting for my OEM windshield to arrive (Safelight had nothing in stock because the car is so new....also make sure you explain to anyone ordering your windshield that the 2019 330i is NOT the same as a 2019 3-series GT) I'm finally getting it replaced. I got a bad chip from a road trip in August that turned into a crack that was half way across the glass.

My concerns/questions are this:

Anyone experienced the re-calibration of all the ADAS in a newer BMW? My car has all systems available-Advanced Driver Pro package; Lane departure, Lane Keeping Assist, Frontal collision warning, Traffic Sign recognition, Traffic Jam Assist, etc.

I am super nervous about how my HUD will look as well as the front-facing camera that operates most of the ADAS in conjunction with the active RADAR/LIDAR, etc.

The SafeLight tech. just called to go over the appointment and told me he needs to drive it on a road with "lines" for 10 minutes while hooked up to his computer to re-calibrate. Obviously I'm not letting him drive it alone.

What/how can I test it afterwards to be sure they are all working? What suggestions do you all have for me?? Should I make an appointment at my dealership regardless after the fact? (I know that sounds a little paranoid). Would a dealer even know how/what to check or verify to make sure it all works properly? I don't want to just wait to be in an unfortunate situation where the frontal collision detection fails obviously.

Thanks in advance!
I had Safelite repair a chip in my windshield. While he was here, I asked him about calibration if one replace the windshield. He said that Safelite can do it but has to do it at their facility where they have the proper equipment.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
How much was charged by Safelite? If BMW glass isalready authorized, it may be better to ask dealer/CCRC to repair than Safelite.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
How much was charged by Safelite? If BMW glass isalready authorized, it may be better to ask dealer/CCRC to repair than Safelite.
If you are asking me, no idea. I just had a chip repair.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 228i Cab
G20 W/S Replacement

Recently had the windshield replaced in my 2019 G20 330Xi. I have all driving assistance systems and HUD. Aside from the dealer’s parts department “forgetting” to order some parts required for the replacement and the rather long wait for the windshield to arrive from Germany, everything worked perfectly. The dealer was actually able to remove the inspection sticker from the broken glass and reinstall it on the new one. The price for the entire repair was approximately $1700.00, all covered by insurance.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I had Safelite repair a chip in my windshield. While he was here, I asked him about calibration if one replace the windshield. He said that Safelite can do it but has to do it at their facility where they have the proper equipment.
Safelite uses "tablet" style devices that hook right up to the com/serial port in the car. In the G20 3 Series that is located on the left side/driver side down by the hood-release. They definitely shouldn't have to have it at a shop to re-program it-it's possible that person didn't know what they were talking about. Safelite prides themselves as being able to do everything "in the field." BMW didn't even really need it in the shop...they were just the only ones with the updated software/device for the new model. As I stated before the only time it needs a different type of "guided" calibration is if the bumper was replaced from an accident. Then they set up a fixture around the car and the camera is calibrated with the sensors using lasers, etc.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
My car insurance includes full windshield replacement so I don't know what the cost would actually be. I called my BMW dealer first BUT they do not do anything related to glass....I thought it was strange but I understand it....they just consider glass replacements "body/collision" work and the dealership has another site entirely for that. Some BMW dealer's that turn over a lot of CPO's/Used cars will do more body and glass work on site-my closest dealership does not.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i F30 Sport Line
For anyone reading this in the future... I had to wait almost 8 weeks for my windshield earlier this spring. Safelight installed the OE glass and instead of dealing with the dealer for calibration, I just did what they would do in Rheingold. You activate the calibration and drive for a few miles. It will tell you that it is successful.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
adas, calibration, windshield

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)
Today's Posts Search