Windshield replacement - biggest scam on the planet? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2011, 08:14 PM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupé,'16 Golf R
Windshield replacement - biggest scam on the planet?

I'm curious if this happens elsewhere, or is endemic to Arizona? We have all kinds of shady glass dealers out here, advertising stuff like "we'll pay you $200 to replace your windshield!", various offers for free stuff, coupons, etc.. one joint, about 7 years ago when I moved here, was advertising 24 or 48 or some crazy number of free dinners at a local Mexican restaurant (probably the owner's brother-in-law's joint or something). A shady repair company that fixed a couple of chips for me years ago calls me periodically, wanting to replace the windshield and hand me $100 for the privilege. WTH??!!

I have full glass coverage, which means I pay no deductible for either a repair, or if deemed necessary (long crack, damage in driver's direct field of vision, etc), a replacement. If these scheisters are willing to fork over $200 in cash, they are obviously ripping off the insurance companies, no?

So I finally took a shot in my direct view. I just happened to be visiting my State Farm agent a couple of days later and inquired about a replacement, since this damage was directly in front of me. He said it shouldn't be a problem and handed me a business card of a local family-owned glass shop. I contacted the guy and told him I wanted an OEM windshield, if it could be done with minimal out-of-pocket from me. He called me back the next day and said that the cost was such that State Farm would cover it in full - no out-of-pocket to me. (And never any BS about kicking me back some money, or pressure to use a generic windshield). Cool.

So today the deed was done. The work looks fine, though the piece of tape they put on both sides and over onto the roof baked into the paint on a 100-degree afternoon and was a PITA to remove completely. The bill shows a list price of $958.60 for the windshield, with a "net" price of $814.81 (discount to the carrier?), plus $90 for adhesive, and another $45.34 for a new seal (BMW p/n 51 31 7 017 021). Total cost to State Farm, tax included: $1,136.61.

How the heck can they cover this? I'm ASSuming a generic windshield would have been a fair amount cheaper. And what's with the shady guys overbilling to the extent that they're willing to give cash and prizes to the car owner? We all know who pays - you and I, through higher premiums. Pisses me off.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search