Run Flat Tires & Wheels - Insurance - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)

X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW i3
Run Flat Tires & Wheels - Insurance

I just leased a 2018 X5 Diesel.
Great machine.

I also opted for the wheel and tire insurance.

Did I make a mistake?

Sounds like the tires will be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Its insurance.. no one knows if you will need it. You also didnt mention what tires you got with your X5. Wheel and tire insurance does not cover worn tires, and the tires are more likely to be worn out that damaged... depending on where you live.

The real question you need to ask yourself is, (since you leased, and likely leased for 3 years) is "How many wheels and tires have I had to replace on my previous car(s) over the past 3 years?"

With the normal cost of the wheel and tire insurance, and at dealer replacement rates, if the answer to your question is less than "3" tires or "2 rims and 1 tire" you will likely not break even. Insurance is normally not about breaking even though, its about peace of mind, for a financial expense one may not be able to afford.

So... are you looking at the thought of paying $500 for a replacement tire and saying "boy I dont know if I could afford that so I better buy this wheel and tire insurance in case that happens"?

Warranties are the same way, but you substitue words like "transmission" and "engine" into the "I dont know if I could afford that" statement. That means, for most, wheel and tire insurance is not needed, while maybe an extended warranty would make one sleep better at night.

Your mileage may vary. Also, if you change your mind and go back to the dealer and ask them to take off the wheel and tire insurance, your lease payment will not change. That confuses most people. It would come off the total of the lease, so if (for example) the plan was 1500 and your payments were 500 a month (made up numbers) you would have three less payments on the END of the lease if you return the wheel and tire insurance. They will not re calculate and lower your payment.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Old 05-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d , 2015 740li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milam View Post
I just leased a 2018 X5 Diesel.
Great machine.

I also opted for the wheel and tire insurance.

Did I make a mistake?

Sounds like the tires will be a problem.
Yep...its waste of $$$. You could get same or better tire insurance coverage from discount tire or other tire dealer for $30-50 per tire. Ditch Rfts for non Rfts and never look back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2018, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: Everything
Depending where you live! I live up here in Cleveland and the roads can be less than desirable. I replaced 4 wheels while owning my e91 over 5 years. I just got my new X5 a few days ago and I opted for it. My buddy that works in parts told me the rear wheels on my car (20's) list for 800 bucks each.

John
Old 05-05-2018, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d , 2015 740li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv 2002 View Post
Depending where you live! I live up here in Cleveland and the roads can be less than desirable. I replaced 4 wheels while owning my e91 over 5 years. I just got my new X5 a few days ago and I opted for it. My buddy that works in parts told me the rear wheels on my car (20's) list for 800 bucks each.

John
John, first congrats on your new toy. I live in Houston and roads r very bad here as well and drive same set up as you do. Your x5 is SAV tires are higher profile than e91. Chances you will damage/bend wheel r lower than on e91, tires r different story. Your vehicle is leased so yu can always fix/straight wheel for aprox $100. All 3rd party warranties r insurance plans to make $$$. Its your money but you asked for feedback here so I gave you mine based on alternatives and chances getting your investments back.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
lease, problems, run flat, tires, wheels

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search