Bimmertech PP82DSP vs PP86DSP? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics by BAVSOUND

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics by BAVSOUND
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Old 04-15-2018, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: X3 3.5 2014
Bimmertech PP82DSP vs PP86DSP?

Have the option to buy the 82 for $600 or the 86 for $800. Going into a 2014 f25 with BavSound or equivalent speakers ( Match or Jennerís if I splurge). Does it matter which I get? Any significant differences. Advice much appreciated. Also, they are coming out of a 2014 f80. Is the plug compatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: F31 / E91 / E93
Hi
Bimmertech is plug & play

Alternative is Match BMW PP7, smaller and versatile with nice sound (I have both).

//Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBondar View Post
Have the option to buy the 82 for $600 or the 86 for $800. Going into a 2014 f25 with BavSound or equivalent speakers ( Match or Jennerís if I splurge). Does it matter which I get? Any significant differences. Advice much appreciated. Also, they are coming out of a 2014 f80. Is the plug compatible.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 (2.8i)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBondar View Post
Anyone help me, same question: what are differences, if any, between the Bimmertech 82DSP and 86 DSP?

Thanks / Bill
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 09:24 AM

hi,

main diff is the P&P cable suplied by Bimmertech.
It is a great advantage that you do not have to cut the cables (as I see it) in your beemer..

Alternative is to build your own cable w the correct connectors...

For 200$ I would consider the Bimmertech or the abovementioned UP7 BMW that has turned into one of my favorite amp's for installations these last months (done 6 of them now)..

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7bmw

// Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Anyone help me, same question: what are differences, if any, between the Bimmertech 82DSP and 86 DSP?

Thanks / Bill
Old 10-29-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3DK View Post
hi,

main diff is the P&P cable suplied by Bimmertech.
It is a great advantage that you do not have to cut the cables (as I see it) in your beemer..

Alternative is to build your own cable w the correct connectors...

For 200$ I would consider the Bimmertech or the abovementioned UP7 BMW that has turned into one of my favorite amp's for installations these last months (done 6 of them now)..

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7bmw

// Chris
Thanks, but maybe I was not clear in my question: if I recall correctly Bimmertech used to sell the 82 model and now they sell an '86 model - there must be some difference in specs between the two units, correct?
Bill
Old 10-29-2018, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto:
It looks like @ 2 ohms, the PP82 outputs 4x70/140 watts vs. the PP86's 8x70/140. Also, the PP86 allows for 6 high level inputs vs. 4 for the PP82. PP86's DSP resolution is 64 bit; PP82 @ 56 bit. There may be other differences.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom750 View Post
It looks like @ 2 ohms, the PP82 outputs 4x70/140 watts vs. the PP86's 8x70/140. Also, the PP86 allows for 6 high level inputs vs. 4 for the PP82. PP86's DSP resolution is 64 bit; PP82 @ 56 bit. There may be other differences.
Thank you for that info. In the process of chatting with private seller re:an older 82 which came out of a 3-Series car I contacted Bimmertech to see if sellers unit (w/Bimmertech mounting bracket) would be a direct install in my X3 (F25). No, I'd need to buy a new bracket, $99 - ouch.

In the course of that conversation I mentioned that I might just buy complete new (86) unit and asked about differences between 82 and 86, reply: "Yes new amplifier comes with correct bracket. Only difference is the 86dsp support bluetooth audio streaming using an internal streaming module, no other differences."

Bill
Old 10-29-2018, 01:56 PM

Hi,

sorry if I misunderstood your question.

I have used both the PP82 and the PP86 amplifiers in 2 different cars (E87 & E91).
PP86 is more powerfull and sounds a little different.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=812506 are right in mentioning the differances.

In any case it is not audioble without more than a real speaker upgrade (not just speaker exchange).

As for the bracket, why not just modify the OEM bracket. It worked fine in the E91 with few modifications. At least that should not be the reason for your extra investment.

have fun.

// Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Thank you for that info. In the process of chatting with private seller re:an older 82 which came out of a 3-Series car I contacted Bimmertech to see if sellers unit (w/Bimmertech mounting bracket) would be a direct install in my X3 (F25). No, I'd need to buy a new bracket, $99 - ouch.

In the course of that conversation I mentioned that I might just buy complete new (86) unit and asked about differences between 82 and 86, reply: "Yes new amplifier comes with correct bracket. Only difference is the 86dsp support bluetooth audio streaming using an internal streaming module, no other differences."

Bill
Old 10-29-2018, 02:29 PM

Yes Chris...I think it's quite simple to mount on existing bracket; and plenty of space and easy access on X3.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3DK View Post
Hi,

sorry if I misunderstood your question.

I have used both the PP82 and the PP86 amplifiers in 2 different cars (E87 & E91).
PP86 is more powerfull and sounds a little different.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=812506 are right in mentioning the differances.

In any case it is not audioble without more than a real speaker upgrade (not just speaker exchange).

As for the bracket, why not just modify the OEM bracket. It worked fine in the E91 with few modifications. At least that should not be the reason for your extra investment.

have fun.

// Chris
Success, I was able to mount the unit w/o any BimmerTech bracket - it's sort of upside down but of course works just fine.

Now I guess I need to look at 'tuning' - this unit was in a F31 (3 Series wagon) and now it's in my X3 (F25).

Thanks/Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bimmertech_amp_F25X3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	826419  

Last edited by Wgosma; 11-03-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Mercedes E500
Hey Bill.. did you ever figure out a good tune file?.. I just installed the pp86dsp in my F25/X3 2017 with stock speakers. I think bimmertech gave me an amp from a different vehicle because it didn't sound any better.. maybe a little more volume. It was nothing like I expected after reading reviews and drooling for a year.. finally pay the $800 and it's disappointing. I'm really hoping it just because I need a tune file for my X3. Anyway.. did you figure yours out.. do you have a tune file you could post or send that sounds good.. or have a link? I'd appreciate it.. your about a month ahead of me in trying to figure this out
Old 11-29-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by envisiondl View Post
Hey Bill.. did you ever figure out a good tune file?.. I just installed the pp86dsp in my F25/X3 2017 with stock speakers. I think bimmertech gave me an amp from a different vehicle because it didn't sound any better.. maybe a little more volume. It was nothing like I expected after reading reviews and drooling for a year.. finally pay the $800 and it's disappointing. I'm really hoping it just because I need a tune file for my X3. Anyway.. did you figure yours out.. do you have a tune file you could post or send that sounds good.. or have a link? I'd appreciate it.. your about a month ahead of me in trying to figure this out
The file I received from BimmerTech is V3_25 Hi-Fi BimmerTech.afpx; their tech support guy Patryk gave me a link to download, they store their files out of public view in the cloud (Google).

It worked pretty well, I did do some tweaking and I think it's even better than the original file - my 82DSP amp has 2 DIP switches to hard-configure the unit's gain; one set of sw's affects ALL channels, the other set affects only the subwoofer channels. B-tech recommends setting both to their max gain of +2dB. I tried this then began to fiddle:

I have ended up with +2dB gain on all channels, but NO gain on the subwoofer channels. I set all my tone controls 'flat' and went from there. (w/sub channels at +2dB I felt the sub's under the seat were 'booming' too much).

I used the AudioTech-Fischer software and set the delay (distances) from each speaker to my driver seat listening position. I used my dash tone control to bring up the bass a tad bit, treble is left near flat position. This setup seems to be pretty darn good, the 'sound stage' is right on the dash and vocals appear almost right in front of me.

I haven't done any tweaking of the crossovers or equalizer, yet. I'm going to listen to this for a week or two before I tweak any further.

Give me your direct email address and I can email you the .afpx file.

Bill
Old 11-29-2018, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Mercedes E500

sounds great.. my email is [email protected]

I've been downloading lots of different ones.. and finding some are pretty good but still hoping to find one someone has for the F25. I'd appreciate it.. thanks!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics by BAVSOUND
Today's Posts Search