Possible purchase of 2009 535xi - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-31-2018, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto:
Possible purchase of 2009 535xi

Hey guys, wanted to get your incite on a 09 535xi with 45k miles. Car has great history report and seems like its been over serviced with its oil changes and inspections. I was wandering is this a good year and model to go for? Ive hear many people having issues with the 4wd system. Wanted to see if that was on the earlier models or do they all have issues. Also they are asking $14k for the car. Thank you all in-advance. By the way its got cold weather package and M-package.

Last edited by serrg; 12-31-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 530x1
I bought a 2006 530xi a couple of years ago and it's a great car. However, if you haven't owned a bmw before, read the stickies about buying a bmw and be prepared to do your own work, unless you are filthy rich, and then just go buy a new one. I was a relatively inexperienced mechanic when i bought mine but was willing to learn and have a very experienced mechanic for a friend for backup.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Donít be frightened off. You found a rare low mileage car. Go for it! I have a 2006 xi and havenít had any problems with the drivetrain at 122k. Yes it helps if you can do some maintenance and repairs yourself and reading the stickie about buying an e60 is a good idea. If you have detailed service records, youíre good to go. Otherwise, change the motor oil, coolant, brake fluid and make sure the tires are less than 10 years old. Because of the low mileage all other fluids are still good. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Nac

Mein Auto: 535XI, 328I
I have a 2008 535 XI with 30K miles. It is in great shape. I did have the HPFP replaced under warranty. I have not had any issues with the waste gates, which had an extended warranty, now expired I believe.
I have changed brake fluid every two years, and coolant (at the Stealership) every 3, and annual oil service. It runs as strong as the day I bought it new.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Hadley View Post
I have a 2008 535 XI with 30K miles. It is in great shape. I did have the HPFP replaced under warranty. I have not had any issues with the waste gates, which had an extended warranty, now expired I believe.

I have changed brake fluid every two years, and coolant (at the Stealership) every 3, and annual oil service. It runs as strong as the day I bought it new.

Great to hear, Iíve owned 7,5,3 series before but never the turbo charged or the x-drive models. So Iím just trying to get an idea. I will also be doing some of the maintenance myself so I am not too concerned about the basic repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-01-2019, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 528i xdrive
I own a 2009 528xi with 100k miles. Never had an issue with the AWD system, and in fact would never buy one without it (live in SE Michigan). My experience, however, suggests that the xi models are more difficult to service for repairs requiring access from below. Changing the water pump was difficult, but I worked my way through it. I believe that one has to drop the exhaust to replace fluid in the front differential, so I had the dealer do that. I was able to drop the transmission pan without much difficulty, but changing the oil pan gasket looks like it may take awhile.

FWIW, I believe that the non-turbo models have less issues than those with turbos. I wouldn't worry too much about the xi aspect.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:49 AM

My buddy did have his awd activator go out on his 535xi and he was able to replace it without too much trouble.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstiglich View Post
I own a 2009 528xi with 100k miles. Never had an issue with the AWD system, and in fact would never buy one without it (live in SE Michigan). My experience, however, suggests that the xi models are more difficult to service for repairs requiring access from below. Changing the water pump was difficult, but I worked my way through it. I believe that one has to drop the exhaust to replace fluid in the front differential, so I had the dealer do that. I was able to drop the transmission pan without much difficulty, but changing the oil pan gasket looks like it may take awhile.

FWIW, I believe that the non-turbo models have less issues than those with turbos. I wouldn't worry too much about the xi aspect.

Well a lot of people say you have to drop the subframe to do the oil pan. One thing that Iíd hate doing in the garage without a lift.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:18 PM

You do not have to drop the exhaust to change the front differential fluid but it is definitely easier if you drop it for the rear. My exhaust bolts were so corroded that I changed the rear differential fluid without removing the exhaust. It was a pain. I popped a hex drive out of a socket and worked it into the fill bolt with great difficulty and turned it with a wrench. Next time I will just plan on dremeling out the corroded bolts and replacing them.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto:
Just got a response from the shop they said they finished doing a valve cover gasket and itís getting sent out to the dealer for the warranty work for the HPFP. So I feel like if it will pass the full inspection after these repairs then I should get a green light.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvto2 View Post
You do not have to drop the exhaust to change the front differential fluid but it is definitely easier if you drop it for the rear. My exhaust bolts were so corroded that I changed the rear differential fluid without removing the exhaust. It was a pain. I popped a hex drive out of a socket and worked it into the fill bolt with great difficulty and turned it with a wrench. Next time I will just plan on dremeling out the corroded bolts and replacing them.
You went through needless trouble. All you need is an extended length 14mm hex driver to clear the sway bar.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 01-03-2019, 12:52 AM

"You do not have to drop the exhaust to change the front differential fluid but it is definitely easier if you drop it for the rear. My exhaust bolts were so corroded that I changed the rear differential fluid without removing the exhaust. It was a pain. I popped a hex drive out of a socket and worked it into the fill bolt with great difficulty and turned it with a wrench. Next time I will just plan on dremeling out the corroded bolts and replacing them."

Wow. Apparantly our cars are laid out completely different. Could not see an easy way to change the front differential fluid. In fact, I believe that you have to drop the differential itself. The rear, as easy as falling out of a tree. Direct access.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstiglich View Post
"You do not have to drop the exhaust to change the front differential fluid but it is definitely easier if you drop it for the rear. My exhaust bolts were so corroded that I changed the rear differential fluid without removing the exhaust. It was a pain. I popped a hex drive out of a socket and worked it into the fill bolt with great difficulty and turned it with a wrench. Next time I will just plan on dremeling out the corroded bolts and replacing them."

Wow. Apparantly our cars are laid out completely different. Could not see an easy way to change the front differential fluid. In fact, I believe that you have to drop the differential itself. The rear, as easy as falling out of a tree. Direct access.
When I replaced my diff fluids, neither the front nor the rear required removing the exhaust. Just an extension for the front to access the fill plug.

However, changing the torque converter fluid will require dropping the exhaust. Also, for the X-drive, unbolting the front drive shaft, at least at the torque converter side, will be required when replacing the automatic transmission fluid/pan.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom750 View Post
When I replaced my diff fluids, neither the front nor the rear required removing the exhaust. Just an extension for the front to access the fill plug.

However, changing the torque converter fluid will require dropping the exhaust. Also, for the X-drive, unbolting the front drive shaft, at least at the torque converter side, will be required when replacing the automatic transmission fluid/pan.
^^^this. For the front diff, the drain plug is right at the bottom and the fill plug is on the driver's side of the diff. Just need an extension on your ratchet.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528xi
I also don't recall removing the exhaust to change the front or rear diff oils. The rear (on my 528) doesn't have a drain so a suction was needed to remove the fluid. The transfer case oil change however does require that the exhaust be removed (though I think some have done it without removing the exhaust).

As an Xi owner who prefers to do my own work, the RWD would be simpler to work on and in my case would have required less work, plus it would be lighter to drive I imagine.

The very low mileage 535 Xdrive you've found sounds like a gem.

Last edited by MarkCh; 01-06-2019 at 10:39 PM. Reason: simplified
Old 01-07-2019, 04:44 AM

My bad. You don't need to drop the exhaust for the rear diff. Those comments were meant for the xdrive transfer case. Sorry for the confusion. You do need a fluid extractor for the rear as there is no drain plug. I got a nice one from bav auto, cause you can fill with it too and it helped when i did the tranny.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi Wagon
serrg, as a 10 y/o vehicle, it will require somethings to be fixed, but a vehicle with such a low mileage with that price is a great deal.

I have 129,500 miles in my 2010 E61. Turbos are still OEM, it has been tuned for the past 50k miles (mild tune) and they are still working as intended, no errors or waste gate rattle. The fact that it is a turbo shouldn't detract you from it. Most European vehicles being sold today in the US are either turbo or supercharged, some volvos are both.

Post pictures once you get it.

2010 535iX Wagon, Space Grey
15mm rear spacers + TSW Chicane wheels
Retro style turn signals (E39)
ECS Cross-drilled rotors
AFE TBS
Dual cone air filters plus home made scoop
MHD Stage 1 map
Old 01-07-2019, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
serrg, as a 10 y/o vehicle, it will require somethings to be fixed, but a vehicle with such a low mileage with that price is a great deal.

I have 129,500 miles in my 2010 E61. Turbos are still OEM, it has been tuned for the past 50k miles (mild tune) and they are still working as intended, no errors or waste gate rattle. The fact that it is a turbo shouldn't detract you from it. Most European vehicles being sold today in the US are either turbo or supercharged, some volvos are both.

Post pictures once you get it.

Appreciate your input, yes if I go through with the purchase Iíll def post some pics.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Hey guys so last night I finally brought it home. I will post a few pictures here soon. Thank you all for your input and responses. I wanted to ask if anyone can help me or point me to the correct thread. Iím looking for a good reliable Indy shop in Portland/clackamas OR.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrg View Post
Iím looking for a good reliable Indy shop in Portland/clackamas OR.
Check out Portland Motor Works at 9032 SE Woodstock Blvd. I have no personal experience with them, but they have glowing reviews on Bimmershops.com and Google.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCarr View Post
Check out Portland Motor Works at 9032 SE Woodstock Blvd. I have no personal experience with them, but they have glowing reviews on Bimmershops.com and Google.

Sounds good, thank you.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi Wagon
So.........where are the pictures?

Sent from my F5321 using Bimmerfest mobile app

2010 535iX Wagon, Space Grey
15mm rear spacers + TSW Chicane wheels
Retro style turn signals (E39)
ECS Cross-drilled rotors
AFE TBS
Dual cone air filters plus home made scoop
MHD Stage 1 map
Old 01-23-2019, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
So.........where are the pictures?

Sent from my F5321 using Bimmerfest mobile app

working on that, still need to give it a wash after my long drive home. Itís been raining here non stop.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto:
Hey guys, I was looking over the engine bay and doing a more deep visual inspection, and I noticed the coolant is green. I know a lot of people recommend the original blue coolant but how crucial is it and what am I risking if I keep running the green one?

Old 02-05-2019, 07:58 PM

My bad.... It must have been the transfer case that I was not able to access, not the front differential.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search