2018 X5 Diesel Air Conditioning - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)

X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW i3
2018 X5 Diesel Air Conditioning

I have both a 2018 X5 and a 2017 i3.

The i3s airconditioning works great. Set the desired temperature and it works hard to make it happen.

The X5s is another story. It almost seems that the system is lethargic in both heat and cool cycles. You can change the desired temperature setting, and nothing seems to happen. The car is either too hot or too cold, for the settings.

Any suggestions. It has been this way since day one. I drove a loaner X3. Its system tried really hard to please.

I had them check the system during a service. They said that there was nothing wrong.

I want to keep this X5 after warranty.

I love it otherwise. The Diesel is great.

This evening, I had one side set to 64 and the other side set to 78. Nothing was happening on either side,. It started to cool when I dropped the temperature setting to 60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d xDrive
Have you checked your coolant system? It’s in essence the heat exchanger part of your car. If the levels are low you’re system will never work well for cooling or heating.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 02-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
F15 A/C Performance Test. Objective criterion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milam View Post
... The X5s is another story. It almost seems that the system is lethargic in both heat and cool cycles. You can change the desired temperature setting, and nothing seems to happen. The car is either too hot or too cold, for the settings.
newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW F15 X5 sDrive35i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 64 Heating and air conditioning / 64 50 Air conditioning, check / 64 50 ... A/C performance test

"After 5 min, measure both ventilation temperatures with a thermometer at the same time (centre, left and right fresh air grille). The measured temperature must be less than or equal to 16 °C and the difference between right and left may not be greater than 2 °C."

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...check/GbGkqA9N
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 02-03-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESwiss View Post
Have you checked your coolant system? It’s in essence the heat exchanger part of your car. If the levels are low you’re system will never work well for cooling or heating.

I just checked the cooling system. It appears to be full and topped off.

No problems noted.

X5 has about 20,000 miles on it. It has been perfect otherwise.

I had a VW Touareg recalled under the emission cheating recall.

I like the BMW X5 better, but the Touareg was a great cross country machine. The BMW gets better mileage.

Thank you DESwiss
Old 02-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW F15 X5 sDrive35i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 64 Heating and air conditioning / 64 50 Air conditioning, check / 64 50 ... A/C performance test

"After 5 min, measure both ventilation temperatures with a thermometer at the same time (centre, left and right fresh air grille). The measured temperature must be less than or equal to 16 °C and the difference between right and left may not be greater than 2 °C."

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...check/GbGkqA9N

When it does cool, it works extremely well. I do not believe that the cooling system is weak.

I would guess, that the computer has a faulty sensor or control. The controls do not seem to be sending the correct information to the controller.

I am going to ask the dealer to check it this week. I am hoping that it is a minor fault in the electronic controls.

When it does heat, it heats well.
When it cools, it cools well.

Just undecided as to what to do.

Thank you Doug Huffman

This helps. I want to keep this X5.
I understand, that the X7 will not come to the US with Diesel.
A shame
Old 02-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d xDrive
2018 X5 Diesel Air Conditioning

I’m no HVAC guy, but if my memory is right (big IF....I know, I know...) - I recall that there is a valve that can get stuck and doesn’t allow the system to run well. An “expansion valve” maybe?

I take it the dealer made sure you had enough refrigerant in the system.

Last edited by DESwiss; 02-04-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 PM

Update

Just got the X5 back from the dealer.
They found a defective auxiliary heater unit.
I did not know that such a part existed.
Long story short, it fixed the problem

I am glad that it was under warranty.
They had to dismantle the dash and consoles, to get to the unit.

Jackie Cooper BMW in Edmond, Oklahoma, did a great job.

The X5 returned better than new.
No squeaks or problems with the dash removal
Old 02-21-2019, 03:44 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
In US models "auxiliary heater unit" is most likely the 1000 Watt electric heater. EU models have option of Webasto independent auxiliary heater - fuel powered.

Removal of the electric heater is a very invasive job. Well done is very well done! Best wishes.

If it is often used then the battery will be under significant extra load, the heater is an 80 Ampere load over which the driver has little to no control. It comes on shortly after the engine start cycle is over (I can feel mine after a minute or two down at the bend in the road). It stays on until there is engine heat, that I may notice by an increase in warm air temperature.

I charge my battery weekly. The electrical heat loads double my required battery charge in the winter (Milady Wife's first action after engine start is to turn on her bun warmer and complain how cold it is).

The BMW IHKA HVAC air flow properly is in through the microfilter, through the ALWAYS fully loaded AC evaporator, through the hot coolant radiators, through the electric heater, and distributed to the cabin by the many air flappers.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 02-21-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Thank you Doug and DESwiss for your help.

I am lucky, that this worked out so well.

/s/ Tom Milam, Jr.

Yes, the heater works great now.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: Everything
Interesting that my X5 35d in the summer requires the center vents to be moved to full cold sit and a slow return to conditioned air. My 328i wagon never required interaction with the system. It just worked.

John
Old 03-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d , 2015 740li
I had similar issue, see service response below. Picking up car tomorrow.

"A/C STEPPER MOTORS LACK/NO CALIBRATION PERFORMED VEHICLE TEST, CONNECT BATTERY CHARGER, PERFORMED
CALIBRATION RUN FOR STEPPER MOTORS AS PER TEST PLAN. CHECK HEATING AND AIR-CONDITIONING FUNCTIONS /TEST DROVE
VEHICLE AFTER REPAIR AND PERFORMED VEHICLE TEST AGAIN TO CHECK ANY FAULT ON THE SYSTEM - SYSTEM OKAY/WORKS AS
DESIGN AT THIS TIME AND NO FURTHER FAULT."

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
climate conrol, cool, diesel, heat, x5

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search