Evan's E61: Twin Turbo Build Log - Page 8 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
That's a pretty big difference in diameter .

Looks like that shim is welded on the strut . Mine are not welded and the shim can slide around the strut in a grove ..

How has your V3's held up ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2384.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	822675  

Last edited by H F; 10-09-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: E61
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
How has your V3's held up ?
I had a leaking front strut and paid for a rebuild (I was the second owner of the coilovers so no lifetime warranty) but I had a reasonable rate for expedited which made the process pretty painless. The ride quality is great.

I ran V1s on my old E39 M5 and have another set of V1s on my E39 Touring. I would have ran V1s on the E61 since I really enjoy their street tune but unfortunately expensive and unnecessarily complex (IMO) V3s were the only option for E61.
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, Shiftteck SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Ethanol Sensor
- N54B30, JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Y-Pipe Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 PM

I had a rough idle and some misfires popping up and after chasing my tail for a bit swapping coils and plugs I decided to just refresh all plugs to eliminate them collectively as a variable.
Went with Bosch plugs but will go back to gapped NGKs once I start running more ethanol and boost.

Old NGKs

New Boschs

Checked injectors via INPA

Due to a leaking radiator to oil filter housing hose there was a considerable amount of oil which had been dripping and blown onto the front of the engine by the radiator fan (so much for the spotless engine), the leak has been resolved but the belt still squeaked and wasn't sitting 100% correct on an idler pulley. With a fresh belt already on hand for this anticipated repair I removed the current one to check the pulleys, sure enough the upper idler was shot.

LIFE HACk: Your local O'reilly Auto parts (at least mine in San Diego) can order parts from local German part suppliers such as SSF and usually get both "Genuine BMW" and OEM brands like Febi, Lemforder, Uro, Ina, etc. Similar to what is available on ECS Tuning but the kicker is a delivery can happen quickly. From placing my order at the local store to them calling saying the part has arrived was less than 1 hour and the pulley I ordered was the same brand as what I was replacing, in this case Ina (OEM producer). Amazon Prime and Amazon Now can't compete!!

My plate turned out to be more controversial than I thought it would which is fine, to each their own. The intent was for the plate to describe the composition of the wagon; functionally it's an M5 with an N54 motor. All the chassis, suspension, brakes, and drivetrain upgrades that make an M5 an M5 are on my wagon so consider it an M5 with a motor swap. Sure the VIN reads 535xi so it's "not technically an M5" but if you value VIN numbers over the driving experience and function then you are missing out! For the record I tried to get "NOT AN M5" but it was taken in CA.
- N54B30, JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Y-Pipe Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 10-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2014 X5 50i MSport
"ucsbwsr"

"My plate turned out to be more controversial than I thought it would which is fine, to each their own. The intent was for the plate to describe the composition of the wagon; functionally it's an M5 with an N54 motor. All the chassis, suspension, brakes, and drivetrain upgrades that make an M5 an M5 are on my wagon so consider it an M5 with a motor swap. Sure the VIN reads 535xi so it's "not technically an M5" but if you value VIN numbers over the driving experience and function then you are missing out! For the record I tried to get "NOT AN M5" but it was taken in CA."

I get it, it should be obvious unless your blind! This has been a great build to follow, thank you for sharing it!!!

2006 325i
2006 M5
2008 X5 4.8i
2012 MINI Cooper S Manual
2014 X5 50i MSport
2016 340i MSport
A Few Other Vehicles/Projects
Old 12-14-2018, 10:57 AM

Progress has been a little bit slow on the E61 as the E39 has been receiving a lot of attention, getting a custom tan on black interior, aftermarket M5/M-Sport bumpers, M5 steering wheel, M5 sway bars, revised exhaust, and more parts collected for the manual trans swap.

About a month ago I picked up a M5 fender, although the wagon is still bumper(cover)less the fender made it look a bit more appropriate for driving around even though it is 100% road legal with the real bumper aka crash bar.

Annie inspecting fender fitment. It isn't perfect since the small bracket which connects the front fender bracket to the headlight bracket was bent and I did my best to straighten it with no success so I have a new bracket ordered.

The wagon has been running around like this for a while now....

Wagon is running great, ethanol has been introduced and I am targeting 22psi, a little lower than before but "enough" for cruising around. 22psi should be putting out ~520whp

Bought the necessary power steering lines for the M5 subframe conversion, lines are actually from a 535i which are the only ones which will connect the M5 steering rack to my 535xi pump.

Last piece of the puzzle. My patience paid off, I was able to find a brand new OEM M5 bumper for $400, roughly half off what they go for online.

Here are a couple pics of the E39 which has been in the spotlight.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 12-14-2018, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto:
Lookin' good, Evan. Keep up the awesome work!
2006 E60 530i N52/6MT - Monaco Blau - Black/Auburn Dakota leather - Premium & Sport Packages 18" TSW Bathurst Rotary Forged wheels, 35% Ceramic Tint, Koni FSD/Eibachs, Bluetooth Audio and Phone - more mods coming...

2007 E60 530i N52/6MT - Monaco Blau - Beige Dakota leather - Premium, Sport, Cold Weather packages - 2013 CIC Retrofit, 2011 Software, CDV Delete, LCI custom headlights, 18" TSW Bathurst Rotary Forged wheels, 35% Ceramic Tint, and Sport Mode. - Gone.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:05 AM

The white wagon keeps getting undercut by these other "project wagons" I spend all my time wrenching on, to make matters worse (first world problems) I had an opportunity to pick up another E61 for a excellent price which will be a short term project for me and hope to have up for sale in a few months.

The grey E61 is an 08' with 127k, tons of maintenance, and some nice mods.
OEM M5 front end, Grigio Telesto paint w/ black roof and black engine bay, Cobb AP, Dinan muffler, and 20" Vossen CV3s. I will be going through it making some necessary repairs, preventative maintenance, and executing some choice mods to further enhance the wagon. If you like my white wagon then there is a lot you will like about "DAS GRAU."
More here: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1314813

Updates on the white one are minimal but progress is being made. After replacing some damaged brackets I was able to test fit the OEM front bumper and fitment is excellent. I also test fit the OEM M5 engine bay splash shield which is RWD subframe specific and will wait for the subframe swap to go on.

I ordered a used 535i DSC module/pump. Previously I used my 535xi pump with a 528i module (same BMW # as 535i) and haven't been able to resolve my ABS/DSC warning lights even with the tremendous help of Levan who is an advanced BMW coder. Hopefully the pump is the culprit.

The last piece of the puzzle for installing my RWD/M5 subframe is resolving the strut incompatibility. Perhaps KW just released them or US distributors are now offering them for sale in the US even though there are literally <5 E61s in the US that could use them but KW now offers a RWD E61 specific coilover setup and thankfully it uses factory-tuned non adjustable V1 variants. I never use the adjustments on V3s and hate paying twice the price for essentially the same performance (IMO). Once the coilovers arrive I can complete the RWD subframe swap and enjoy the M5 steering rack.

New bracket

Bumper test fit

M5 splash shield will be a nice finishing touch once the subframe is swapped

535i DSC unit

My bumper is unpainted, my fender is the wrong color, and I need to modify a headlight.....
better go recondition that side marker.....

Current pics

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 02-14-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2014 X5 50i MSport
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, it's been an enjoyable read.

2006 325i
2006 M5
2008 X5 4.8i
2012 MINI Cooper S Manual
2014 X5 50i MSport
2016 340i MSport
A Few Other Vehicles/Projects
Old 02-14-2019, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xit
Forgive me if it's been answered but why replace the DSC unit with a RWD one? I guess the original got smooshed in the accident, and you've converted to RWD, but is there a difference between the AWD and RWD units?

They perform the same function as far as I can tell. Both are available with/without active cruise control but the part numbers are different for all four variations.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto:
Wow, all that for a wagon, that is fantastic. Good job man.
1965 Chevelle Malibu SS Convertible, Weekend Warrior
Old 02-17-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_ View Post
Forgive me if it's been answered but why replace the DSC unit with a RWD one? I guess the original got smooshed in the accident, and you've converted to RWD, but is there a difference between the AWD and RWD units?

They perform the same function as far as I can tell. Both are available with/without active cruise control but the part numbers are different for all four variations.
So when examining the RWD, AWD, and M5 variants of the ABS/DSC pump and module. The M5 has the hydraulic ports in a different configuration, it is also a more advanced system with 2 additional sensors which are part of the main wiring harness so no way I was going to entertain retrofitting those.

Between the AWD and RWD the are different Part numbers but BMW only lists them as module + pump. Originally I didn't see any physical difference in the pump itself so I assumed it was the same and I only bought a RWD module. I was never able to get the DSC unit properly coded and fully integrated into the system so I have always had faults. One of the errors we were receiving was a check valve for the DSC so I decided it was worth a shot to get a complete 535i pump + module just to eliminate the pump as being incompatible. Now I just need some time to tackle this project.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 AM

Not too much to report on the white wagon. She is still an ugly duckling from the outside which was compounded by me cracking my own windshield while trying to remove the top weather stripping. Insurance should cover it even though I am a dumb dumb.

I am still running a single 450 LPFP so my power is fuel limited, eventually that will be upgraded to dual 450s but as an interim solution I turned down the boost to a level where I can run full ethanol. I don't care to blend all the time and with CA gas prices being stupid high E85> 91 (duh).

I did have some misfires popping up and some of them were terminal, meaning clearing the codes didn't resolve the misfire. It turns out my (upgraded) Delphi coils were dying and some completely ate the bed. Thankfully I have a box of used OEM injectors and coils on hand. A few weeks ago one Delphi coil died, I replaced it with a used OEM coil and all good! This week I have another misfire, again replaced cyl 6 with a used OEM coil, then the next day two more Delphi coils died, at least their lifespan is consistent! lol. Planning for the inevitable I replaced the removed the last 2 Delphis and intorduced them to the trash can. I am now back on all used OEM coils. There are either the coils I originally had on my wagon before "upgrading" to the Delphis OR they are used coils from my buddies RB Turbo E90 that were removed prior to a single turbo conversion. I plan to run these until they die because, why not!?

Aside from the coils dropping like flys the wagon has been a sweetheart in terms of function and reliability so I will give myself a big pat on the back knowing I did something right! lol

I have some other projects which are stealing the spot light from the white wagon but I am looking forward to getting the white wagon's aesthetics back up to par with it's mechanical performance. Until then I will continue to live by my function>form motto.

Evan

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 10-18-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:05 PM
Experienced User

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW e60 535i
Check out this youtube video. He's got a good review and does a good job on the new Eldor coils.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 545i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetboilab View Post
Check out this youtube video. He's got a good review and does a good job on the new Eldor coils.

Thanks Iíll give these a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-18-2020, 03:49 PM

We have ourselves a nice little update right here....

Although the E61 has been mechanically flawless for the past year, it has been running around San Diego as a bit of an ugly duckling with a blue M5 fender and an primed OEM front bumper. I am happy to report the wagon has received some much needed aesthetic love.
.....but wait there's more!

In this installment:
- OEM M5 Front bumper had PDC holes and washers deleted + paint
- OEM M5 fender had vent deleted + paint
- Cracked windshield replaced with new OEM glass
- New OEM cowl
- New OEM windshield surround
- New pano roof surround
- EHC sensor replaced
- Dinan rear sway bar installed
- Cluster received M5 bezels and pre-LCI needles
- OEM Brushed Aluminum Door Trim (dash and console OTW)

"Clean" is always the goal and I am a big believer in less is more. Continuing the there of deleting the (non-functional) M% fender vents I decided the have the PDC sensors and headlight washers shaved. The washer system is super annoying and functionally the system has been deleted for quite some time so it was a no brainer to delete the tilting covers. As for PDC, I know how to park and have good depth perception.

Here is a photoshop I did earlier which convinced to be do the deleting, it's subtle but .....clean!

With the bumper and fender off at paint I decided to also get my cracked windshield replaced.

I also replaced the weather stripping for the pano roof

Broken load leveling sensor replaced

Bumper and fender installed!

Bought a used M5 cluster to steal some parts from, the circular gauge bezels which are part of the front plastic and main bezel. It was a little scratched up so I polished the plastic a bit.

Before/After with M5 bezels, subtle

I also pulled some pre-LCI needles from the junkyard. The pre-LCI needles have the same design as the M5 but are white instead of red. I prefer the design of these needles to the LCI ones my wagon came with, in comparison the LCI needles look a bit bloated and not as sharp.

IMO the red M5 needles look "cool" (I run them on my X5D cluster) but are much harder to see during the day and therefore inferior to the white.

Here are the final pics:

New OEM windshield going in,

Fresh

Since I converted to RWD the RD Sport sways I had would no longer fit, since they are NLA and arguably the most desireable sway bars for the E61 I sold them as a set. My front sway bar is from a convertible M6 which is the largest OEM bar available for the E6X, for the rear I went with a Dinan unit which surprisingly, carries a reasonable price tag considering it has also the usually-overpriced Dinan badge.

Finally found some OEM brushed aluminum trim at a reasonable price, center console and dash trim is on the way as well.

The old trim was OEM wood wrapped in 3M "brushed aluminum" I much prefer the real deal!

Before

After

Looking good!

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 03-18-2020, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Half the pics don't show up.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaane View Post
Half the pics don't show up.
Try this link
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36899

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 03-20-2020, 06:44 AM
BMWs since '87

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi (LCI)
Pix aren't showing here or on N54tech. Please fix - I need some E60/61 pr0n.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto:
The pictures work on spoolstreet (in the 5 & 6 series section)

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search