Fuel issue - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-31-2020, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Fuel issue

2010 535i xDrive 169k miles. I was driving down the highway and my engine light came on. The warning said that the fuel pump failed and the engine died. I pulled off the side of the road and tried to restart it, but it would not start. I called a town truck and had about an hour wait. Ten minutes later I decided to try and start it again and the car started and I drove it home. I put in some injector cleaner thinking that I got some bad gas or something clogged my filter. Woke up the next day and drove 25 miles to work no problems. On the way home it did it again. This time I sat for about 5 minutes, started it up and drove home again with no problems. Could it be a clogged filter and it is not getting enough fuel so it detects the pump has failed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 03:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
While I haven't experienced this myself, what I usually hear when things like this happen is the low pressure fuel sensor or high pressure fuel pump.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto:
You need to scan the car for the exact problem codes. You can then proceed from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 bmw 528i
If you have 169,000 miles on the car and the fuel pump has never been changed, its wise to make the investment.

Typical fuel pump symptoms:

o the car cuts out every now and then and you have to start it back up
o INPA or Torque are throwing fuel cut off misfire codes
o when the gas tank is at a quarter tank the car starts misfiring and it starts behaving very strange. Then when you fill the tank all the way up the problem goes away
o does the car start dying at half the tank? if this happens possibly have a bad fuel sender assembly which is on the driver side. Basically what that does is once the car reaches half a tank of gas it will start pushing all the fuel from the driver's side of the gas tank to the passenger side.
o Long crank when starting
o At high RPM the engine sputters
o Error message for fuel pump appears on iDrive
o A faulty fuel pump can cause poor engine performance and hard starting problems. When it fails completely, you may be left with an engine that doesn't start. If you suspect your fuel pump has failed, you can confirm the fuel pump has received the correct voltage when commanded ON by the fuel pump relay using a digital volt ohm-meter (DVOM)
o If the correct voltage is present, but the pump does not activate, it is likely faulty

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search