Say buh-bye to London and Madrid drop off locations - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
No, it´s understandable to be upset.

There is an alternate solution. You can have EDWINTERTIRES.COM handle the drop-off for you. They will return it to EH Harms from London.
how is this handled from an insurance (i.e. accident/theft) and registration perspective?

If this company is not authorized by BMW, you are basically letting a private company (with no official affiliation with BMW) drive your vehicle across Europe.

Does he have his own insurance? How much does he charge for dropoff service?

What if he gets in a wreck and/or the car gets stolen? Does Allianz/BMW policy regarding theft coverage and deductible apply (i.e. if you claim theft you must have all documents, both keys etc)

What if he gets pulled over for traffic violation, car is obviously not registered in his name...

Are all these issues worked out?

(not implying whether the company is trustworthy, I assume it is)...just wondering what BMW's position (and insurer's position) is on this...if something goes wrong....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Oberbayer

Mein Auto: E65 - 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake C View Post
Yes sir talk with you soon.

- J
Planning the third ED?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
how is this handled from an insurance (i.e. accident/theft) and registration perspective?(...) Are all these issues worked out?
My understanding is that your car needs to have insurance days left over so it's covered on the return trip to Munich. You add the company's representative's name to your ED paperwork (insurance) as an authorized driver, right from the get-go.

That should cover the most important aspects...

adc
15 M3 Sedan ED
14 X3 xDrive35i
04 Z4 3.0
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
how is this handled from an insurance (i.e. accident/theft) and registration perspective?

If this company is not authorized by BMW, you are basically letting a private company (with no official affiliation with BMW) drive your vehicle across Europe.

What if he gets in a wreck and/or the car gets stolen? Does Allianz/BMW policy regarding theft coverage and deductible apply (i.e. if you claim theft you must have all documents, both keys etc)

What if he gets pulled over for traffic violation, car is obviously not registered in his name...

(not implying whether the company is trustworthy, I assume it is)...just wondering what BMW's position (and insurer's position) is on this...if something goes wrong....
pilotman
R u planning another ED?

'09 or '10?

Drop off Nice again?

'18 330i Mediterranean Blue Metallic / Cognac/Dark Brown / Sport Line
Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: VW Sharan
Quote:

To answer those points....The rates are all on the website. I don't have my own insurance, I am added as an extra driver onto yours. Whatever the policy covers is what applies, regardless of whether you, as the owner, or me, is driving the vehicle. If I get pulled over for a violation, then it is my driver's license that is at risk and any fines paid by me. I do not take risks or knowingly break any laws when operating other people's cars. Written permission to drive the vehicle is required as well as the insurance certificate showing my name added to it. That's about it, it's all quite simple and straightforward.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
John, are you the only driver for the company?

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
pilotman
R u planning another ED?

'09 or '10?

Drop off Nice again?
probably not this time around...I am looking at, believe it or not, getting a Mini Cooper Clubman S....

Would love to do another ED this year, but I don't think it is in the cards...we have two 15 month old twin boys, so I would be going solo or with a friend....plus the expense and time doesn't make it practical.

But I will be back for another ASAP.

John Lance, thanks for providing the info, again, I am not questioning your legitmacy, just curious about how the mechanics work of having a private company drop off your car for you...

As long as BMW corporate is ok with this, then I don't have any problems. Wish you success, sounds like a real niche business.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: VW Sharan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
John, are you the only driver for the company?
Yes, for the long journeys I am the only driver.
My assistant, Annette, did quite a few short ones in Munich over the Winter, collecting from hotels and then taking the cars first to the tire depot to have the Winter tires removed and then on to Vikase's drop-off center in Garching.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335i 'vert: soon
BMW ED still offers a lot of drop off locations. I think some of us are just spoiled with the previous 14 drop-off locations offered. They could have just said that drop-off is only at Munich or Bremerhaven. You still get to enjoy Europe in the new BMW.

2006 A6 3.2L Quattro

2008 335i convertible, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Saddle, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC
2007 335i Coupe, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006, 325 Arctic, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, Xenon, Steptronic - Totalled
Old 04-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ver View Post
BMW ED still offers a lot of drop off locations. I think some of us are just spoiled with the previous 14 drop-off locations offered. They could have just said that drop-off is only at Munich or Bremerhaven. You still get to enjoy Europe in the new BMW.
Yes, or charge for all the locations.

Regardless of a few posters here wanting to go to Madrid, surely BMW looked at actual numbers and realized that these locations were (a) not as frequently used and (b) expensive to maintain. It seems reasonable to cut them out of the program, although creating an Italy-like return drive option would be nice.

To the poster with London plans, though, it does rather suck that BMW announced this with less notice than appropriate. I hope they will make you whole in some way or another. The fact that you've made arrangements may help in that regard.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search