Need help - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto:
Need help

Just purchased a 2002 BMW X5 3.0 battery went completely dead in ignition key now I have a no crank no start problem can anyone advise me what to do got the key recharged everything works except for no crank no start. I had read somewhere that you had to reprogram the key to the ews just accidentally stumbled upon that and now can't find it anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2018, 07:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Need help

The first step is to write concise sentences of no more than 15 words. Run on sentences are very confusing. Iím not trying to be critical, but I am trying to be instructive.

The key isnít charged by anything. The key consists of two separate systems.

The first is the remote lock/unlock system. Itís powered by a long lasting battery which is not replaceable. Basically, the key has to be replaced to fix a dead battery. Thanks BMW.

The second system is the anti-theft system. Itís powered by a radio frequency signal from the carís anti-theft system called EWS.

Your battery died. In all likelihood youíll have to replace it. Replacing the battery in a modern BMW requires the battery to be ďregisteredĒ with the engineís charging system. Why? BMW, in all its wisdom, created the smart charging system. This system is designed to improve gas mileage by charging the battery only in specific circumstances. A new battery has different charging requirements than an older battery. As a result, the charging system charges a new battery differently than an older battery. Itís rubbish but itís a fact of life.

As far as realigning the key with the EWS, thereís a specific procedure. Search this forum for that procedure.

Last edited by marcozandrini; 07-18-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto:
Thank you for your reply. But the car would crank and start after I replace the battery for several times then all of a sudden wouldn't do anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Please definite ďanything.Ē What has power and what does not have power? It could be a bad ignition switch.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto:
Like to thank the ones that tried to help actually spoke to a BMW mechanic here in my local town yesterday and he put me on the problem right away it was the brown ground wire on the passenger side of the vehicle was broke loose from the motor mount reattached it now it cranks and starts fine thanks again.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetreebear View Post
Like to thank the ones that tried to help actually spoke to a BMW mechanic here in my local town yesterday and he put me on the problem right away it was the brown ground wire on the passenger side of the vehicle was broke loose from the motor mount reattached it now it cranks and starts fine thanks again.
Thanks for coming back on and telling everyone how your saga ended... Always nice to here the outcome to a problem with our cars.....
Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto:
Your welcome
Old 07-25-2018, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Having brake problems on my 2002 BMW X5. Had to replace the ABS unit do to a front-end Collision ever since then cannot get the brake pedal back. Traction control, ABS light, and brake light are all staying on. Tried bleeding brakes after replacing the complete ABS module started out good now. rear brakes don't bleed down the pedal when you crack open the bleeder front brakes bleed down Great with pedal falling to floor any suggestions

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search