2001 X5 E53 - Transmission Warning Light - Hard Downshift - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-09-2018, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto:
2001 X5 E53 - Transmission Warning Light - Hard Downshift

Hello, First timer here.

My 2001 X5 E53 3.0 has 160K miles and has run great since this week.
Battery died due to bad alternator. Replaced alternator and immediately after, the transmission warning light came on, even though the car hasn't been driven again yet.
I took it for a spin around the block and it up-shifts fine, but when I slow down to a crawl, it downshifts hard (last 2 gears), like the TC is banging slightly.
I went to Auto Zone (2 blocks away) I had it tested on AutoZone's diagnostic tool...(I know, not the best) and NO CODES came up.
I don't want to take it out on the road like this...could I have damaged a TCC Solenoid somehow while replacing the alternator? I don't know how but it's seems fishy that this happened immediately after replacing it.
Also, the new alternator must have a bad VR as it is severely overcharging (18v-19v)
Could that affect the tranny in anyway?

Frustrated, please help!!!

Last edited by mpouliot; 08-09-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpouliot View Post
Hello, First timer here.

My 2001 X5 E53 3.0 has 160K miles and has run great since this week.
Battery died due to bad alternator. Replaced alternator and immediately after, the transmission warning light came on, even though the car hasn't been driven again yet.
I took it for a spin around the block and it up-shifts fine, but when I slow down to a crawl, it downshifts hard (last 2 gears), like the TC is banging slightly.
I don't want to take it out on the road like this...could I have damaged a TCC Solenoid somehow while replacing the alternator? I don't know how but it's seems fishy that this happened immediately after replacing it.
Also, the new alternator must have a bad VR as it is severely overcharging (18v-19v)
Could that affect the tranny in anyway?

Frustrated, please help!!!
Have the codes read.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto:
No Codes, but i had it read at Auto Zone around the corner (i know, not the best)
The Tranny Light (gear w/exclamation) is on, it should throw a code, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
No Codes, but i had it read at Auto Zone around the corner (i know, not the best)
The Tranny Light (gear w/exclamation) is on, it should throw a code, right?
If it is showing a warning light it should be throwing codes. If you're going to keep this truck I recommend buying a scanner. Either the Foxwell or the Schwaben (same scanner). They were about $175 last time I looked. They're invaluable if you're going to DIY on your truck. Otherwise, find a local shop that specializes in BMW and have them read your codes.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Still wondering if an overcharging alternator could cause transmission issues like the hard downshifting?
Old 08-09-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Still wondering if an overcharging alternator could cause transmission issues like the hard downshifting?
Possible. It will cause a bunch of other problems too like destroying your battery. Get a replacement.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 325i Cabriolet
X5 E53 Transmission Fault indicator light

I had a similar experience. After the light came on, I tried the reset using the gas pedal, etc. Engine off, then back on, etc. I could drive in manual or Automatic, but experienced hard shifting. I read somewhere to check fuse #5 in the glovebox. I did, it was fine, had it out for about a minute. put it back in, started the car, and everything was back to normal.

Last edited by BurbBimmer; 05-13-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto:
Personally for me I ain't an expert. I have rebuilt my e53 transmission. It was a success. I wouldn't ignore that warning.i would check the fluid. I don't beleive on that BMW lifetime fluid bs. If you got a good scanner I would look at the input and output sensors on tranny. If you don't have a scanner. I would drop the pan at the tranny. Look for metals. From there you would know what next
Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto:
I had Trans Fail Safe warning along with SES light on. Turned out to be MAF sensor

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
e53, e53 transmission, hard shifting, x5

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search