Enable Front-View Camera From R to D - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 03-23-2020, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 17' BMW 540i
Enable Front-View Camera From R to D

I was recently in a Mercedes-Benz with the 360-degree camera and noticed that the front-view camera enables when the driver goes from Reverse to Drive. Does my 17' 540i with 360-degree have this feature? This would be very useful when parking in my garage as I have to maneuver the car through a very tight area to adjust the car 90-degrees. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 12:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: G30 530e M-Sport
Yes, it does. I'm confused though - you already have the car? You must have seen it do this every time you ever moved from R to D?
Old 03-24-2020, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 540iX
mine comes on when I get fairly close to something in front of me....
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2020 530xe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF750 View Post
mine comes on when I get fairly close to something in front of me....
Yeah it should enable under either of these four scenarios:
  1. When getting very close to an object picked up by the car's radar (either while parking or driving at slow speeds like in traffic)
  2. When switching from R to D
  3. When manually pressing camera button to the left of shifter while in D
  4. When a GPS "activation point" is encountered while in D
Old 03-24-2020, 01:10 PM

Maybe I should add a GPS Activation Point. At this time, when I switch from R to D, the rear-view camera is still shown.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg6640 View Post
Maybe I should add a GPS Activation Point. At this time, when I switch from R to D, the rear-view camera is still shown.
You can also tap the camera button if you want to force it.

I use the GPS activation point for the corner of my street since visibility is very poor there and there is a crash a few times a year, at least, so it adds a second set of sensors (the cross traffic alert also activates with the front camera). But I haven't tested how well GPS activation works when dealing with a parking situation. Would be a lot easier to hit the camera button if I felt the need to shift it around.

I am not in the car right now (obviously lol), but I think you can also use the iDrive wheel to force pick the camera.

Also, one last thing. I think you need to have the camera set to "Auto" orientation to get it adjusting automatically. You can turn that off and in that case I don't think you'd see an automatic shift to the front camera in Drive. Like almost everything in a BMW you have some control.

Last edited by LogicalApex; 03-24-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:57 PM

For sure. I did find the automatic setting on my car (it's on the screen with the camera and an A) but it does not stay on that setting. I would have to tap on it every time I want the orientation to change depending on which gear I'm in. I'm going to see if there is a way I could code it in.

I definitely could just tap on it, but I would much rather have it done automatically for convenience.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg6640 View Post
For sure. I did find the automatic setting on my car (it's on the screen with the camera and an A) but it does not stay on that setting. I would have to tap on it every time I want the orientation to change depending on which gear I'm in. I'm going to see if there is a way I could code it in.

I definitely could just tap on it, but I would much rather have it done automatically for convenience.
There is a setting on my iDrive 7 version to make that the default. A similar setting exists in iDrive 6 I am sure.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto:
My front camera comes on when pulling out of too steep a drive. Also, the automatic braking engages backing out of some drives, thinking I'm about to crash. I had to turn off the automatic braking for reversing. The system is not perfect.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:10 PM

I am working with a variety of teams to determine if this can be coded in. I do think there should be a way to do so... I have gone ahead and set waypoints but they don't work too well in my driveway as they tend to not activate.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search