BMWCCA L.A. High Performance Driving School at Laguna Seca, Nov 22-23 - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest Regional > Regional Forums

Regional Forums
General discussion and questions about what's going on in your area.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Mr Paddle.Shift Mr Paddle.Shift is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: bmw
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,848
Mein Auto: bmw
Everything is almost the same as CCA. 4 groups, 25min each, same instructors. Except that DC events are mostly one-day events. Also, smaller groups. But you can rest assured the catering is one of the best. Danish pastries, juices in the morning as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galun
For those of you who have been to the Driving Concepts school, what's it like? I know it's run by Carl and essentially the same instructors from the BMW CCA schools. However, how much track time can I expect from a one day school? How many run groups do they run? What are the passing rules like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #52  
Old 11-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Galun Galun is offline
In a ton of debt...
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,837
Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Anyhoo....who took pictures of my ride??
I tried, but the picture came out blurry. Sorry!
  #53  
Old 11-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Galun Galun is offline
In a ton of debt...
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,837
Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Everything is almost the same as CCA. 4 groups, 25min each, same instructors. Except that DC events are mostly one-day events. Also, smaller groups. But you can rest assured the catering is one of the best. Danish pastries, juices in the morning as well.
The Laguna Seca school by Driving Concepts cost $450 bucks for one day. So I can expect a one day school with only about 2 hours of track time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #54  
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Lee Lee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galun
For those of you who have been to the Driving Concepts school, what's it like? I know it's run by Carl and essentially the same instructors from the BMW CCA schools. However, how much track time can I expect from a one day school? How many run groups do they run? What are the passing rules like?
Hey Galun. First, it was great to meet you. And many thanks to Scott for trusting me with the race car. What a pleasure to drive. I hope you both enjoyed the weekend.

The DCI events are great. They are very much like CCA schools (for the reasons you mentioned). The passing rules are the same as CCA. The number of run groups varies depending on the number of students and the mix of skill levels at a particular school.

One common scenario is two run groups alternating half hour slots all day (except lunch hour), which works out to about 3.5 hours.

Another common scenario is three run groups alternating half hour slots in the morning, reshuffling down to two run groups after lunch, and an open track around 3:00. When the track is open, students who are signed off can go out on their own, other students can just grab an instructor, and instructors without students can give rides. Carl asks everyone to limit their sessions to about 20 minutes. This works out to about 3-3.5 hours. If I were to guess, this is how I think the New Year event will go.

Hope to see you there,

Lee
__________________
  #55  
Old 11-24-2003, 10:48 PM
Galun Galun is offline
In a ton of debt...
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,837
Mein Auto: Cars
Thanks Lee. It was indeed a great weekend. I really appreciate your instructions, as well as Sergio's.

I am very tempted to attend that Driving Concepts school now... humm...
  #56  
Old 11-24-2003, 11:08 PM
doeboy's Avatar
doeboy doeboy is offline
DHP pwns ZHP :p
Location: OC, California
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,078
Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Hrm..but a very eventful one. Before which...

It was great seeing everyone again! Pardon me for keeping this LS event in such a low profile. I wasn't really planning to attend until I realized it fell on my birthday weekend. Yup, Nov 22 is my birthday. Luckily no one knew..or else I will be like Sergio.
========================================

Anyhoo....who took pictures of my ride??
Glad you made it out!

Well gee... thanks for not telling us about your birthday... saved me a few $$ since we didn't have to take you out.. hehehe... j/k....

Happy Belated Birthday.... now we know.... don't think it might slip by next time... right guys? hahaa

I have to check the video... I think I have you on video for a while... Stuka too...
__________________

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
  #57  
Old 11-25-2003, 12:30 AM
Mr Paddle.Shift Mr Paddle.Shift is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: bmw
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,848
Mein Auto: bmw
Well, but each group is smaller. So it's almost like having the track to yourself.

Not to bash DC or anything, cos I really like their organization. I have attended two DC events so far: ButtWillow and California Speedway. Both events, I was in Group D and being in that group didn't pay off. Why? Cos Group D is always the last to finish the day and if time is tight, Group D's session is cut back. For both events, I didn't get a full 2.5 hr drive (I think it was 30min/session with 5 sessions).

But I will still recommend DC over any other driving schools. Have yet to try TCRA though Imad has been recommending them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galun
The Laguna Seca school by Driving Concepts cost $450 bucks for one day. So I can expect a one day school with only about 2 hours of track time?
  #58  
Old 11-25-2003, 07:41 AM
Galun Galun is offline
In a ton of debt...
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,837
Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Well, but each group is smaller. So it's almost like having the track to yourself.

Not to bash DC or anything, cos I really like their organization. I have attended two DC events so far: ButtWillow and California Speedway. Both events, I was in Group D and being in that group didn't pay off. Why? Cos Group D is always the last to finish the day and if time is tight, Group D's session is cut back. For both events, I didn't get a full 2.5 hr drive (I think it was 30min/session with 5 sessions).

But I will still recommend DC over any other driving schools. Have yet to try TCRA though Imad has been recommending them.
So they have a D group? I am getting confused here.... Lee said they either run 2 or 3 groups, but it seems like there can be 4 groups? So I guess I am paying a premium to run in a small group and less traffic, other than the top notch instruction?
  #59  
Old 11-25-2003, 09:03 AM
doeboy's Avatar
doeboy doeboy is offline
DHP pwns ZHP :p
Location: OC, California
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,078
Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galun
So they have a D group? I am getting confused here.... Lee said they either run 2 or 3 groups, but it seems like there can be 4 groups? So I guess I am paying a premium to run in a small group and less traffic, other than the top notch instruction?
I think it depends on how many people are enrolled, etc etc... When I attended a DC school in March at Ca. Speedway, we only had A and B groups.
__________________

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
  #60  
Old 11-25-2003, 09:27 AM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galun
So they have a D group? I am getting confused here.... Lee said they either run 2 or 3 groups, but it seems like there can be 4 groups? So I guess I am paying a premium to run in a small group and less traffic, other than the top notch instruction?
No, I think Vince is the one that's confused here. There is no D group, but at both events we're at there's only two run groups, A and B.

And it's not 5 sessions, we each get 7 sessions, 4 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, both times after the last D session there's a open track for about 30 minutes where like Lee said, instructors and signed off students can go on and have some fun.

The only negative about DCI one day events, is that it runs like a freakin' marathon. You start driving at 8:30/9:00am sharp depending on your classification, and you drive ALL DAY with half hour breaks in between for the whole day. It really is cramming a two day BMWCCA school into a one day schedule. I promise you, you will be exhausted by the end of the day.

But the big plus, is that you get consistent organization (Carl and Judy runs a very tight ship), excellent catered food, and top notch instructors.
  #61  
Old 11-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Mr Paddle.Shift Mr Paddle.Shift is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: bmw
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,848
Mein Auto: bmw
Sorry guys...I am still thinking what hit my car yesterday...

Yup...there wasn't D group for Calif Speedway but there was C for Buttwillow last year. Still, being in the last group didn't quite pay off. In any case, the point is if something is delayed, those in the latter (or last group) suffers. That's how I remember the DC events. I spoke to Judy about that before and she said she will look into it next time.
  #62  
Old 11-25-2003, 10:03 AM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Sorry guys...I am still thinking what hit my car yesterday...

Yup...there wasn't D group for Calif Speedway but there was C for Buttwillow last year. Still, being in the last group didn't quite pay off. In any case, the point is if something is delayed, those in the latter (or last group) suffers. That's how I remember the DC events. I spoke to Judy about that before and she said she will look into it next time.
Same thing happens at BMWCCA events, eventhough you don't notice it since it's spread out over 2 days and they can afford to spread it evenly to several groups.

When I was working starter and control, I noticed they chopped off 5 minutes to each of the subsequent run groups when Monty had his little technical difficulties with the car. Since they have 4 run groups, chopping off 5 minutes made up for the time it took to clean up Turbo's mess.

When there's only two run groups, and if anything should happen on track or any sort of delays later in the day, obviously the last group to go up will be the one that gets screwed. It would be nice if DCI alternate the groups in the afternoon, so that the B guys go first after lunch and the A guys finish up with mop-up at the end of the day.
  #63  
Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 AM
Mr Paddle.Shift Mr Paddle.Shift is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: bmw
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,848
Mein Auto: bmw
well, now that I am in C, I don't feel the bite anymore. When I was in D for LA CCA event at Fontana, I distinctively remember that we were given a little extra time on Sunday's last session. The feeling wasn't the same for the earlier DC Fontana event.
In any case, I will recommend DC events with two thumbs up without any doubts.
  #64  
Old 11-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Galun Galun is offline
In a ton of debt...
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,837
Mein Auto: Cars
I am very tempted to goto the Dec 31 Laguna Seca school.

Now, who's with me?
  #65  
Old 11-25-2003, 10:24 AM
doeboy's Avatar
doeboy doeboy is offline
DHP pwns ZHP :p
Location: OC, California
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,078
Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galun
I am very tempted to goto the Dec 31 Laguna Seca school.

Now, who's with me?
I would be if I had won that raffle...

Besides... I wonder how cold it will be up there around that time... I didn't particularly enjoy freezing my arse off out there... but getting out on the track made it all better....
__________________

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
  #66  
Old 11-25-2003, 12:05 PM
Mr Paddle.Shift Mr Paddle.Shift is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: bmw
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,848
Mein Auto: bmw
I can see that you were very cold on Sunday. You were wearing the head sock ALL morning! LoL!

Btw, thanks for the sweater. I learnt my lesson. Will bring more warmer clothings next time.

Galun, if you got a chance, do forward whatever pictures you have. my email: [email protected]. Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
I would be if I had won that raffle...

Besides... I wonder how cold it will be up there around that time... I didn't particularly enjoy freezing my arse off out there... but getting out on the track made it all better....
  #67  
Old 11-25-2003, 12:23 PM
doeboy's Avatar
doeboy doeboy is offline
DHP pwns ZHP :p
Location: OC, California
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,078
Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
I can see that you were very cold on Sunday. You were wearing the head sock ALL morning! LoL!

Btw, thanks for the sweater. I learnt my lesson. Will bring more warmer clothings next time.

Galun, if you got a chance, do forward whatever pictures you have. my email: [email protected]. Thanks!
Yeah... I know everyone had a good laugh when I walked into the classroom with my balaclava still on but hey... at least it helped reduce some of the wind chill so my ears don't fall off...

No problem man... I'm just glad it got to more reasonable temps as the sun got higher...

Galun... just how blurry were the pics? hehe
__________________

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
  #68  
Old 11-25-2003, 12:53 PM
Galun Galun is offline
In a ton of debt...
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,837
Mein Auto: Cars
The pictures were blurry enough that I am too embrassed to show them Really, they were so blurry that you can kinda tell you were trying to take the picture of a car, but that's it. You can't make out the car number or anything. I was sure that I attempted to take some picture of Vince's car because I was looking out for it, and there was plenty of time to identify the cars coming out of turn 2. But when I went back to look at the pictures, I couldn't find anything at all - except a clear picture of Dave's car, and car number 35. Does that belong to anybody here?

Someone give me a quick lesson on focus and exposure and all that good stuff, and maybe I will have better luck next time. Barring any unusual circumatances, I should be safely in the B group now, so I should be working flags again.
  #69  
Old 11-25-2003, 01:25 PM
Stuka Stuka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,675
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galun
I am very tempted to goto the Dec 31 Laguna Seca school.

Now, who's with me?
I might go, and I might even bring the PorkChop, since it was loaded on the truck this morning.

I will have to say that this is probably my first and last LA school, you all know how I feel about the chapter, and the fact that we only got seven sessions because they screwed up and miscalculated the fees and tried to compensate by overbooking whilst forgetting the 25 car limit is just well, so typically LA.

And then there's the micro thin chicken for lunch because not enough $$ was paid to the caterer, oh, and who can forget about the one bag of frigging chips before dinner at the "banquest."

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the demo run was the paycheck for the instructors, because no one works for free. Heck, some day when I finally picked up some talent, and put my life at risk (literally), I would like to get some runs myself at the track. But this whole mess could have been prevented if they had listened and capped the registration at 85, leaving enough room for instructors at every session. Yeah, so they'll lose $$, so what? What are they going to do with all that tens of thousands of dollars in the bank? Gee, I wonder why people are transferring their memberships out of LA and to the other three California chapters?

Oh, and let's not forget that Hack worked his arse off and got ZERO run on the track. I guess he's a better man than I.

Now rewind to one month ago in Sears Point, nice 8 sessions in two days, AMAZING catered dinner with blocks of baked bre and good wine (which did not run out), lots and lots of pizza, and good beer (not MGD Lite and Bud Lite p*ss water), and plenty of runs for all instructors. That was an awesome school.

Repeat after me, one bag of chips with MGD Lite.
__________________
06 M3 6 speed CB/black ZCP
13 STI sedan WRB/alcantara
14 Evo GSR White/black
  #70  
Old 11-25-2003, 02:51 PM
SergioK's Avatar
SergioK SergioK is offline
Donkeybike?
Location: N35 29.359 W119 32.670
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,680
Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
I might go, and I might even bring the PorkChop, since it was loaded on the truck this morning.

I will have to say that this is probably my first and last LA school, you all know how I feel about the chapter, and the fact that we only got seven sessions because they screwed up and miscalculated the fees and tried to compensate by overbooking whilst forgetting the 25 car limit is just well, so typically LA.

And then there's the micro thin chicken for lunch because not enough $$ was paid to the caterer, oh, and who can forget about the one bag of frigging chips before dinner at the "banquest."

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the demo run was the paycheck for the instructors, because no one works for free. Heck, some day when I finally picked up some talent, and put my life at risk (literally), I would like to get some runs myself at the track. But this whole mess could have been prevented if they had listened and capped the registration at 85, leaving enough room for instructors at every session. Yeah, so they'll lose $$, so what? What are they going to do with all that tens of thousands of dollars in the bank? Gee, I wonder why people are transferring their memberships out of LA and to the other three California chapters?

Oh, and let's not forget that Hack worked his arse off and got ZERO run on the track. I guess he's a better man than I.

Now rewind to one month ago in Sears Point, nice 8 sessions in two days, AMAZING catered dinner with blocks of baked bre and good wine (which did not run out), lots and lots of pizza, and good beer (not MGD Lite and Bud Lite p*ss water), and plenty of runs for all instructors. That was an awesome school.

Repeat after me, one bag of chips with MGD Lite.
  #71  
Old 11-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Galun Galun is offline
In a ton of debt...
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,837
Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
Repeat after me, one bag of chips with MGD Lite.
And one bowl of salsa
  #72  
Old 11-25-2003, 03:34 PM
doeboy's Avatar
doeboy doeboy is offline
DHP pwns ZHP :p
Location: OC, California
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,078
Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galun
And one bowl of salsa
If you could find a bowl.
__________________

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
  #73  
Old 11-25-2003, 04:06 PM
SergioK's Avatar
SergioK SergioK is offline
Donkeybike?
Location: N35 29.359 W119 32.670
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,680
Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
If you could find a bowl.
  #74  
Old 11-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Mdk330i Mdk330i is offline
paddle shifter
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 931
Send a message via AIM to Mdk330i
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galun
The pictures were blurry enough that I am too embrassed to show them Really, they were so blurry that you can kinda tell you were trying to take the picture of a car, but that's it. You can't make out the car number or anything. I was sure that I attempted to take some picture of Vince's car because I was looking out for it, and there was plenty of time to identify the cars coming out of turn 2. But when I went back to look at the pictures, I couldn't find anything at all - except a clear picture of Dave's car, and car number 35. Does that belong to anybody here?

Someone give me a quick lesson on focus and exposure and all that good stuff, and maybe I will have better luck next time. Barring any unusual circumatances, I should be safely in the B group now, so I should be working flags again.
So where's my pic?
__________________
2001 TiAg 330i/SP/PP/Xenon/OEM CD/OEM Alarm/OEM Clears/VS Paddle shift retrofit/GruppeM CAI/UUC SwayBarbarians (HACK job)/35% tint front & 20% rear/Rear fog retrofit (Kaz, Sergio, and me)/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 225/45/17 & 245/40/17 /UUC Strutbarbarian/ UUC Underdrive Pullies/ Bilstein PSS-9 / V1 Hardwired / Stoptech SS Brake Lines

2004 Chili Red Mini Cooper

2011 335d

2016 X3 xDrive 35/Melbourne Red/Mocha/M Sport/Premium/Drivers Assist/Navigation/Surround View/Heated Seats
  #75  
Old 11-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Mdk330i Mdk330i is offline
paddle shifter
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 931
Send a message via AIM to Mdk330i
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
I might go, and I might even bring the PorkChop, since it was loaded on the truck this morning.
You better hope that someone you know is there. After all, you don't want a stranger squeezing your nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
Now rewind to one month ago in Sears Point, nice 8 sessions in two days, AMAZING catered dinner with blocks of baked bre and good wine (which did not run out), lots and lots of pizza, and good beer (not MGD Lite and Bud Lite p*ss water), and plenty of runs for all instructors. That was an awesome school.

Repeat after me, one bag of chips with MGD Lite.
mofo.com!!
__________________
2001 TiAg 330i/SP/PP/Xenon/OEM CD/OEM Alarm/OEM Clears/VS Paddle shift retrofit/GruppeM CAI/UUC SwayBarbarians (HACK job)/35% tint front & 20% rear/Rear fog retrofit (Kaz, Sergio, and me)/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 225/45/17 & 245/40/17 /UUC Strutbarbarian/ UUC Underdrive Pullies/ Bilstein PSS-9 / V1 Hardwired / Stoptech SS Brake Lines

2004 Chili Red Mini Cooper

2011 335d

2016 X3 xDrive 35/Melbourne Red/Mocha/M Sport/Premium/Drivers Assist/Navigation/Surround View/Heated Seats

Last edited by Mdk330i; 11-25-2003 at 09:09 PM.
 

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest Regional > Regional Forums
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.