Getting a jump start in to C#/.Net software development - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 01-09-2004, 03:51 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Angry Getting a jump start in to C#/.Net software development

My company has decided that our new products will be done on MS platforms. The big push has already happened and now they want to suck up the stragglers from the legacy Unix products. So some of us will need to get a good jump start in to the world of C#/.Net software development.

Anyone have an recommendations for books to get me up to speed quickly? I have (though never used) some of the old bibles for Windows s/w development (eg. Petzold, Richter, etc.), but I gather those are no longer useful for .Net and C# wasn't even invented at the time they were written. I have a couple of O'Reily books about C# and .Net that I will be starting to read, but could use other recommendations.

Also, any good web sites for those just starting out in Windows programming, especially C#/.Net, would be useful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2004, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
My company has decided that our new products will be done on MS platforms. The big push has already happened and now they want to suck up the stragglers from the legacy Unix products. So some of us will need to get a good jump start in to the world of C#/.Net software development.

Anyone have an recommendations for books to get me up to speed quickly? I have (though never used) some of the old bibles for Windows s/w development (eg. Petzold, Richter, etc.), but I gather those are no longer useful for .Net and C# wasn't even invented at the time they were written. I have a couple of O'Reily books about C# and .Net that I will be starting to read, but could use other recommendations.

Also, any good web sites for those just starting out in Windows programming, especially C#/.Net, would be useful.

I'll find out for you- one of my consultants is a .Net Architect for one of my clients here in the N. East. He presented at a seminar a few weeks ago on .Net security so he should be able to come up with a couple of useful suggestions.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:04 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
I'll find out for you- one of my consultants is a .Net Architect for one of my clients here in the N. East. He presented at a seminar a few weeks ago on .Net security so he should be able to come up with a couple of useful suggestions.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2004, 04:08 PM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Developmentor has great classes in .NET, and their site, develop.com, has some great stuff as well.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:14 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Developmentor has great classes in .NET, and their site, develop.com, has some great stuff as well.
I have taken several classes from them and they are pretty good. But this time around, I don't think it realistic to expect my company to send us to another of their classes. Budgets are very tight and there are only 3 (all that remains of the development group for our Unix stock trading application) of us being sucked in to the Microsquish world right now. Don't get me wrong... I fully intend to lobby for one of these classes, but I just don't think it is going to happen.

Old 01-09-2004, 04:25 PM
•••••••

Quote:
I have taken several classes from them and they are pretty good. But this time around, I don't think it realistic to expect my company to send us to another of their classes. Budgets are very tight and there are only 3 (all that remains of the development group for our Unix stock trading application) of us being sucked in to the Microsquish world right now. Don't get me wrong... I fully intend to lobby for one of these classes, but I just don't think it is going to happen.
Understood. Their site is still a great resource for books and tips... and if your company is smart, they'll spring for MSDN memberships for you guys as well, which gives you access to all sorts of helpful stuff. Lots of code fragments, OS and server product licenses, etc.

As far as the Microsoft world goes, I think Developmentor is definitely the best resource for all sorts of training materials and literature, as well as their classes.

As much of a distaste I have for MS -- and believe me, as a Mac advocate since 1984 it runs deep -- I have to say the .NET environment is one of the best things they've come up with. VB and ASP are actually usable and flexible (unlike their Visual Studio version 6 equivalents), and C# seems like a great language that inherits a lot of the best aspects of C, C++, and Java.

And hey, it's "cross-platform!" (As long as the platform contains the word "Windows")
Old 01-09-2004, 04:36 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
My company has decided that our new products will be done on MS platforms.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 01-09-2004, 04:42 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
And hey, it's "cross-platform!" (As long as the platform contains the word "Windows")
Hmmmm. Does X-Windows count? Didn't think so

There is an open source .Net implementation for Linux, but I don't know anything about it and we are most likely never gonna field anything on Linux that would need it.

Old 01-09-2004, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Sometimes it makes sense to follow market direction/pressure when you are in the products biz.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:43 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Agreed. But unless I wanna start looking for a new job (not a good idea in the current economic situation), I gotta go with the flow.

Old 01-09-2004, 04:48 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Agreed. But unless I wanna start looking for a new job (not a good idea in the current economic situation), I gotta go with the flow.
I know... and I fully understand what you mean. This was my gut reaction though. hehe

Maybe it's time to make "The Switch"

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 01-09-2004, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Having Unix and MS/.NET skills would be a great combination... kind of like hedging your bets. I think this is something to be happy about.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:05 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 991.2
Quote:
Mr. Plaz - thanks for the tip. Was just monitoring this thread as I have a need to jump in as the Chief Engineer on an XML/webenabled thin client solution we are bidding on for an international customer at my work. Since I'm an old dog, I need to learn some new tricks before these whipper snappers take over.

rich

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:10 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquetel
Having Unix and MS/.NET skills would be a great combination... kind of like hedging your bets. I think this is something to be happy about.
Agreed. Which is why I'm not putting up much of a fight.

Old 01-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Mein Auto: people crazy
Quote:
I have to say the .NET environment is one of the best things they've come up with.

I agree. While the VS IDE still has its share of bugs and annoyances, MS has put a ton of effort into this product. And it is good
Old 01-09-2004, 07:39 PM
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
I agree. While the VS IDE still has its share of bugs and annoyances
Still waiting for the return of "edit and continue."
Old 01-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
I agree. While the VS IDE still has its share of bugs and annoyances, MS has put a ton of effort into this product. And it is good
WebLogic Workshop
Old 01-10-2004, 06:14 AM
Mein Auto: people crazy
Quote:
Still waiting for the return of "edit and continue."

I lost the link, but a young chap from the MS development team stated,

"...and you can quote me on this: Whidbey [the next version of VS.NET] will not ship without edit-and-continue"

Old 01-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to milski Send a message via MSN to milski
Mein Auto: dirty 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
I lost the link, but a young chap from the MS development team stated,

"...and you can quote me on this: Whidbey [the next version of VS.NET] will not ship without edit-and-continue"

That would be for VB only, not C#.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search