Should I replace or repair the rear quarter panel? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 328i xDrive
Should I replace or repair the rear quarter panel?

And find a good body shop in NY/NJ/CT area.

Ok, this is in regard to this incident:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...16#post8418416

I took it to a BMW collision center and they wanted to replace the whole rear quarter panel. I took it to another body shop and they said they could fix the panel without taking it off.

Now I am leaning toward just fix the panel because when I read the estimate to replace the panel, _everything_ has to be taken off, _including_ the rear window. And my prior experience with auto repair and auto body repair is that unless all works are done under the hood, they _always_ mess up something. _Always_.

Also, not the entire panel is replaced, just the rear half which means they had to cut the panel along the top and bottom of the rear door and replace that half and blend the seams. In other words structurally the car would not be like new because what was a one piece side panel will become two pieces attached together.

Now if I were to fix the panel, my main concern is the crease on the wheel arch - can they shape it so that it would look like new. How is everybody's experience?

And finally is there a good auto body shop specialized in luxury cars? I live in Westchester, NY and I can take my car to Northern NJ, and Southern CT.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 540 M-Sport
Are you trying to save money? Because, if so, that's important to know.

If I had the same accident, with insurance, I'd have it over at BMW the next day.

Addendum: I just reviewed the other thread. If you reported it to insurance, I would take it to BMW and have them replace all the damaged parts.

Retired: 2001 Z3 2.5i M-Sport, Steel Grey Metallic/Black; 2002 330i M-Sport, Orient Blue Metallic/Grey; 2004 545i M-Sport, Silver Grey Metallic/Black; 2012 328i Sport, Jet Black/Everest Grey; 2015 535i M-Sport, Glacier Silver/Black.

Last edited by Evenflow; 06-25-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
And find a good body shop in NY/NJ/CT area.

Ok, this is in regard to this incident:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...16#post8418416

I took it to a BMW collision center and they wanted to replace the whole rear quarter panel. I took it to another body shop and they said they could fix the panel without taking it off.

Now I am leaning toward just fix the panel because when I read the estimate to replace the panel, _everything_ has to be taken off, _including_ the rear window. And my prior experience with auto repair and auto body repair is that unless all works are done under the hood, they _always_ mess up something. _Always_.

Also, not the entire panel is replaced, just the rear half which means they had to cut the panel along the top and bottom of the rear door and replace that half and blend the seams. In other words structurally the car would not be like new because what was a one piece side panel will become two pieces attached together.

Now if I were to fix the panel, my main concern is the crease on the wheel arch - can they shape it so that it would look like new. How is everybody's experience?

And finally is there a good auto body shop specialized in luxury cars? I live in Westchester, NY and I can take my car to Northern NJ, and Southern CT.

Thanks!
if you opt for it to be repaired, they will pull and shape the panel as best as they can then fill the areas with body filler (bondo) to raise it up and correct the shape.

i wouldnt have any issue if a bmw certified shop was replacing the fender. i'd prefer it to a repair involving filler. its a fairly large panel, see #1 below

it extends up the C pillar and across the door sill
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Past: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Past: 2016 F34 335i xDrive ZCW/ZDA/ZDH/ZTP/ZMP/2V5/5DL
Present: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
if you opt for it to be repaired, they will pull and shape the panel as best as they can then fill the areas with body filler (bondo) to raise it up and correct the shape.

i wouldnt have any issue if a bmw certified shop was replacing the fender. i'd prefer it to a repair involving filler. its a fairly large panel, see #1 below

it extends up the C pillar and across the door sill
I didn't realize the side panel comes in rear half only. Interesting.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
The correct repair would be a replacement fender panel.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Given the damage that your car has I would probably be inclined to the repair rather than the replacement. If the body shop is highly competent they can make a repair that will be undetectable. Replacing a quarter panel requires A LOT of cutting and re-welding.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 PM

OK, I got the car repaired at Rallye Collision, a BMW certified collision center, in Long Island. The first impression of the result is very very good. I will do a full review after a week, after I get to o see the Mineral White paint job under different lights.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
OK, I got the car repaired at Rallye Collision, a BMW certified collision center, in Long Island. The first impression of the result is very very good. I will do a full review after a week, after I get to o see the Mineral White paint job under different lights.
Would you mind sharing your opinion of the repair work? Did you opt for repairing the quarter panel with filler/bondo or replacing and welding the pieces together? How does the paint job look and were they able to closely match your Mineral White Metallic using a computerized matching system?

I'm very interested because my Mineral White Metallic 328i Sport Line sedan was hit by a careless driver just last week. It damaged the driver side rear quarter panel, wheel, side of bumper and slightly on the rear door. The damages resemble what happened to your quarter panel with the scratches and dent over the wheel. Initially I was concerned with the paint "blending" and matching, given the horror stories I've read on matching metallic paints, but now I'm also concerned with replacing the quarter panel as opposed to repairing it. I don't want bondo on a luxury car but the cutting and welding involved in replacement parts seems risky and not a "good as new" method. Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated. The lady's insurance company is sending someone to appraise my car and write up an estimate tomorrow that I will take to my local BMW certified collision center. The insurance company "does not accept estimates" from this place. Another bad sign.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: Z3, 328i, 435i
My quarter panel got hit. The very high end BMW certified shop would not even consider repairing the quarter panel. Replacement is the correct repair. The only non hidden weld is a 4 inch weld above the door.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i Sport Line
Thanks for the input. I'm waiting for the BMW collision center to return my call and plan to ask them if it's standard procedure for them to repair or replace the quarter panel. It may depend on the severity of the damage. I am attaching photos of my car. It was dirty at the time and most of the black marks came off after washing. Was your car's damage comparable when they opted to replace the quarter panel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VZM.IMG_20160119_200609.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	549342   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160127_091759.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	549343   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160131_140300.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	549344  
Old 02-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhstadt View Post
My quarter panel got hit. The very high end BMW certified shop would not even consider repairing the quarter panel. Replacement is the correct repair. The only non hidden weld is a 4 inch weld above the door.
That's not always true. For the damage the OP posted after your post I would choose bondo rather than the extreme of having the quarter panel cut out and welded back in.

www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonGG View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm waiting for the BMW collision center to return my call and plan to ask them if it's standard procedure for them to repair or replace the quarter panel. It may depend on the severity of the damage. I am attaching photos of my car. It was dirty at the time and most of the black marks came off after washing. Was your car's damage comparable when they opted to replace the quarter panel?
I think the are pretty low with that damage that replacing the quarter panel would be approved. Bondo in and of itself isn't some terrible thing.

Most of your dent can be worked out.

www.bmwcca.org
Old 02-10-2016, 08:19 PM

Well, I forgot to do a follow up review, but here it is.

The paint job is excellent after more than a year, I absolutely cannot tell the difference. The shaping of the quarter panel is very very good - I would give it 9/10. My only grip is the crease above the wheel arch is not as shape as original - it is a little soft.

They did miss something under the rear bumper. The bracket that holds the park distance sensors was cracked and the sensors came loose after a year. I took the car back and they fixed that.

However, my rear bumper got hit again just a month ago. I have not gotten around to have it fixed.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:18 AM
2020 Z4 M40i

Mein Auto: 2020 Z4 M40i
99% of the time they will replace the panel. Had someone back into my drivers side door that created a reasonable sized dent. Took it to the BMW shop & they wrote it up as a "replace the skin" with just a quick look. Was happy I did not have to argue for a skin instead of pull, shrink & Bondo.

CURRENT:
2020 Z4 M40i
2019 Chevy Suburban 4X4 RST 420BHP
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Yamaha V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
1965 COBRA 550BHP FORD Racing COYOTE TKO-600
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
480 WHP of BURBBLES
I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNT 100 IN THE MORNING

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search