Strange Dealer Assumption - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 Convertible
Strange Dealer Assumption

Since purchasing my 16' M4 convertible 2 years ago, every 3-4 months I would get an error message, "Charging Malfunction". This would appear then disappear with no action on my part. There was never an issue of the battery going dead or anything else. Last week the message came on 3 times in one day. I happened to be near the dealership so I stopped in and explained the situation. They could not find the problem and had the regional tech stop in and take a look. They reported that the charge error message only would occur when the vehicle would come to a full stop and the indication was for "over charging". Long story short, they could not find the true cause of the problem and did not replace any parts. In their description of service performed, they state the cause as "Possible use of non-approved battery charger." I explained that the vehicle has never had a dead battery or a charger connected. This did not stop them from putting this on the vehicle service history. It is not a big deal but being a "Car Nut" from way back, I resent this nonsense being accepted as truth. So much for a dealership listening to its customers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2017, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Hmm... that would bother me too, especially if something happens later and they pull up the service history and use that "diagnosis". If it were me, I would probably go back and ask them to update the information in there that "Customer states that car has never been connected to a battery charger to his knowledge" or some such.. I would want a statement in there definitively that I had never done that... because obviously SOMETHING is going on... and its possible that it will continue to go on and bloom into something more later.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 07-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Charging malfunction

Just an update. Since the last posting I have had the error message appear 3 more times. Each time it occurs after about 2 hours of steady driving over 55mph. Clear the message and that's it for months until I take it out again. One time the message was insufficient charging, and the past the dealer said "over charging". I have pressed for a new battery before it's out of warranty in 5 months but they say the battery is fine. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks
Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 01:30 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbaz View Post
Just an update. Since the last posting I have had the error message appear 3 more times. Each time it occurs after about 2 hours of steady driving over 55mph. Clear the message and that's it for months until I take it out again. One time the message was insufficient charging, and the past the dealer said "over charging". I have pressed for a new battery before it's out of warranty in 5 months but they say the battery is fine. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks
Glenn
Record all these incidents -photo or video- and then demand a solution at this dealer or another (if possible). The dealer can see all these errors recorded in the ECU, so your own recordings will force the dealer admission of a problem -then they had to provide a solution and stop ignoring you.

Understand that this is a difficult problem to diagnose by the dealer as the battery only charges when the DME/alternator says so while braking, coasting, decelerating (the EfficientDynamics strategy). I do not think that the F-chassis uses the IBS system -a sensor in the battery to determine when to charge and the battery condition- as the battery is now LiON. Not an excuse as they should know, but it is what it is at dealers. They are seldom the brightest at troubleshooting, much less at electronic and software problems.

Just keep pressuring them as it is obvious that there is a problem in your car battery charging system.

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 07-30-2019, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the thought out response. I have taken and shown them pictures. One time I arrived at the dealership with the error on display and they could not determine the problem. I will keep pushing the issue as I know quite well that this could end up being big bucks for diagnosis on my dime after warranty.
Glenn

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search