Night Vision Camera (NiVi) repair - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745D
Night Vision Camera (NiVi) repair

Worked for me. See video bellow:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2017, 12:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 730i E65
Thank you, I have actually been looking for this for some weeks. Or a possible way to change the lens altogether without any luck.

What did you use to polish the lens after all the sanding?
Old 10-29-2019, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e65 730d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigas4 View Post
Worked for me. See video bellow:

I think this is short term solution, since.the lens has coatong on it to protect it. Read it also somewhere in a Russian portal
Have tried also sanding, but i was not able.to polish the lens to mirror shine then, and switched to research how ro get a new lens instead...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2019, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745D
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimdahers View Post
I think this is short term solution, since.the lens has coatong on it to protect it. Read it also somewhere in a Russian portal
Have tried also sanding, but i was not able.to polish the lens to mirror shine then, and switched to research how ro get a new lens instead...

It is possible, that it is short term solution, but this short term is enough to realize that this night vision feature is useless While driving on the road you are not able to watch at the monitor and at road at the same time, it is not safe. This old version of night vision system does not have any object recognition or notification possibility, so basically it is only a nice toy to play few times. It makes no sense to pay lot of money for new lens, because I am sure you will not use this night vision option
Old 10-29-2019, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e65 730d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigas4 View Post
It is possible, that it is short term solution, but this short term is enough to realize that this night vision feature is useless While driving on the road you are not able to watch at the monitor and at road at the same time, it is not safe. This old version of night vision system does not have any object recognition or notification possibility, so basically it is only a nice toy to play few times. It makes no sense to pay lot of money for new lens, because I am sure you will not use this night vision option
Hi, yes.
You are right that this version comparing to the newest is a bit uncomfortable. Especially I like the new version with the beams which are aiming directly on the identified object.
However, I've got used to this first generation cameras. This is confusing that you switch off your sight from the windscreen to the control display, however, you are still looking at the same driving path. I got used to that, but if not then yoi ate disoriented and it dangerous indeed.
If could I would retrofit the new night vision version. Anyway, now I use this version, and think that it is better than nothing. These dark times I see such objects.there which normally cannot be.seen by your own eyes. Our pedestrians are still very dark while not using luminescent materials and brighter dress. Sone of thembare even walking on the road, unfortunatelly I have seen such tragic o***269;urences where pedesreians were hit byvtheir own fault, but the driver is in his worst nightmare...
I choose to prevent that.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search