iDrive automatically selecting items repetitively - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M3
iDrive automatically selecting items repetitively

Hi All -

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, if not, please relocate and let me know.

Anyway, have an '18 M3, 600 miles on it, and yesterday the iDrive started randomly selecting items, over and over and over. The map was slowly moving across the country over Kansas (or beyond), SiriusXM stations were being selected, until I restarted iDrive by holding in the volume button for 20-30 secs, then it rebooted and all was fine. Prior to this reset, I even pulled over and shut the car off for 1-2 mins, when I started it up again, it continued doing this.

It seemed to happen at the conclusion of navigating to a location, not sure if it ever registered that I was where I was trying to get to.

I was unable to select any menu items as the menu was rapidly and continuously changing. I could hear the audible "click" that it makes when the selector wheel is pressed.

I have videos of this in action- randomly selecting SiriusXM stations, map locations, etc, etc. Let me know if there is a way to share these video clips. I could only find a way to upload pictures to the forums.

I did not have BT activated or any phone connected at the time.

Sorry if this has been discussed; please point me to the relevant discussion.

Thanks for the collective wisdom,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 01:06 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgatorvet View Post
Hi All -

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, if not, please relocate and let me know.

Anyway, have an '18 M3, 600 miles on it, and yesterday the iDrive started randomly selecting items, over and over and over. The map was slowly moving across the country over Kansas (or beyond), SiriusXM stations were being selected, until I restarted iDrive by holding in the volume button for 20-30 secs, then it rebooted and all was fine. Prior to this reset, I even pulled over and shut the car off for 1-2 mins, when I started it up again, it continued doing this.

It seemed to happen at the conclusion of navigating to a location, not sure if it ever registered that I was where I was trying to get to.

I was unable to select any menu items as the menu was rapidly and continuously changing. I could hear the audible "click" that it makes when the selector wheel is pressed.

I have videos of this in action- randomly selecting SiriusXM stations, map locations, etc, etc. Let me know if there is a way to share these video clips. I could only find a way to upload pictures to the forums.

I did not have BT activated or any phone connected at the time.

Sorry if this has been discussed; please point me to the relevant discussion.

Thanks for the collective wisdom,

Mine does the same thing. I have yet to take it in. When it happens, I reset the I Drive and it goes away for a while until it happens again. It happens to me when listening to music so using nav has no effect on causing this problem.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M3 Competition
iDrive automatically selecting items repeatedly

I am a new member with a late 2017 M3 Competition and have the same problem. After much testing, I have determined that the problem relates to heat sensitivity within the iDrive Controller (knob/wheel on centre console). I the vehicle is parked to allow direct strong sunlight onto the controller for a lengthy period, the controller gets hot (60-70deg C) it then malfunctions until it cools (out of the sunlight). The malfunctioning appears to generate repetitive, spurious input to all iDrive functions (Navigator, Media, Phone...) rendering it non-functional and not fit for purpose for a new vehicle.

This is an old thread & I haven't found any resolution to it, but aplogies if it was answered & direct me to the discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 06:33 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnadoo View Post
I am a new member with a late 2017 M3 Competition and have the same problem. After much testing, I have determined that the problem relates to heat sensitivity within the iDrive Controller (knob/wheel on centre console). I the vehicle is parked to allow direct strong sunlight onto the controller for a lengthy period, the controller gets hot (60-70deg C) it then malfunctions until it cools (out of the sunlight). The malfunctioning appears to generate repetitive, spurious input to all iDrive functions (Navigator, Media, Phone...) rendering it non-functional and not fit for purpose for a new vehicle.

This is an old thread & I haven't found any resolution to it, but apologies if it was answered & direct me to the discussion.

Interesting observation. I did take my car in for an unrelated issue and told them about this issue. They could not replicate the problem so there was nothing they could do since my car has the latest software update.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 PM

Do you have a video of this happening? I would like to see if it looks like mine did.

I captured a video, can someone tell me the best way to upload this for others to see and comment on?

It has not happened to me since that original episode. I am planning on duplicating my previous trip and navi destination to see if I can replicate it. Will let you know.

Meanwhile, please let me know if I can get video out there for others to comment on.

Thanks,
Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 AM

I will try to post the video as soon as I work out how to do that on the site.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M4
Should have drove to the dealer and let them see it live, early enough to get on top of an electronic problem so you have the lemon law backing you up if t is not fixed. They base part of it on miles and time when you first notify the dealer.
2001 Porsche 911 C4
Old 04-20-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Do you have a video of this happening? I would like to see if it looks like mine did.

I captured a video, can someone tell me the best way to upload this for others to see and comment on?

It has not happened to me since that original episode. I am planning on duplicating my previous trip and navi destination to see if I can replicate it. Will let you know.

Meanwhile, please let me know if I can get video out there for others to comment on.

Thanks,
Short video of the symptoms can be found at

Note that nothing is being input during this period. Any input is being generated by the iDrive Controller or within the iDrive electronics. This also occurs within the Radio, Media... as well as the Navigation display.

Last edited by Gunnadoo; 04-20-2018 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 08-25-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Short video of the symptoms can be found at

Note that nothing is being input during this period. Any input is being generated by the iDrive Controller or within the iDrive electronics. This also occurs within the Radio, Media... as well as the Navigation display.
Hi Gunnadoo -

Your video is EXACTLY what my '18 M3 did. It happened for the first time in February, then a second time last week. I can't say the iDrive was overly hot in Feb, but last week (in GA) it definitely was hot.

Is it continuing to happen to you? Did you bring it to BMW's attention?

I would be interested in your status, and if anyone else has this problem.

Thanks so much,
Jim
Old 08-26-2018, 02:26 AM

M3 iDrive "heat" sensitivity problem

Quote:
Hi Gunnadoo -

Your video is EXACTLY what my '18 M3 did. It happened for the first time in February, then a second time last week. I can't say the iDrive was overly hot in Feb, but last week (in GA) it definitely was hot.

My iDrive has behaved during our winter, but is becoming susceptible to direct strong sunlight again now that we are moving into spring. Note that my iDrive malfunction only occurs after the vehicle has been parked in strong and direct sunlight which leads to the increased temperature of the iDrive control knob. When it is hot to the touch, it fails and when it cools down (shade and/or air conditioning) it works fine again. I do not accept that I have to cover the iDrive controller during the daytime with a sunshade/towel etc to ensure the vehicle is operational.

Is it continuing to happen to you? Did you bring it to BMW's attention?

Yes, reported at first service (3,000kms) but of course BMW would not leave car in direct sunlight to trigger the problem (as servicing is performed indoors within the workshop). I forwarded the video posted on this thread but received a less than enthusiastic response from BMW Service as BMW could not reproduce the problem and this type of problem does not trigger an error/alert within the BMW engine management computer logs.

I would be interested in your status, and if anyone else has this problem.

I have subsequently reported the recent re-occurrences to the Service Center to ensure entries are made on my service record. I anticipate that the problem will become more repetitive as summer approaches and have indicated that I will report every occurrence to ensure it is recorded on my service records. I have indicated to the Service Manager that the vehicle in its current state is unusable (cannot use navigation, radio, DVD, phone when problem occurs) and I do not accept that the vehicle is fit for purpose under Australian Consumer Protection Laws and I will be seeking resolution or replacement of the vehicle.

Thanks so much,
Jim
regards,

Mike
Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 AM

M3 iDrive "heat" sensitivity problem

Problem solved! Since the input was proven to be generated by the screen (without any touching) and not by the iDrive knob, as an initial fix under warranty, BMW Service replaced the touch-sensitive screen unit & problem no longer occurs.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:50 AM

How did you prove the problem was generated by the screen? Genius and interesting. What test or diagnostic can I recommend my local BMW perform?

Thanks !
Old 04-17-2019, 04:18 AM

I took several videos (with sound) of the heat problem and finally convinced service guys it was a recurrent problem. The symptoms only appeared when driving the car after sitting in hot sunlight for about 2 hours. Taking it to BMW Service was no good as they always place the car in the shade before an investigation. On the videos, the sound of the fake data entry (soft plop sounds like a cell phone keyboard entry) was the key as it confirmed the touch sensitive screen (not the iDrive) was the part at fault. The entire screen module was replaced.

Last edited by Gunnadoo; 04-17-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I took several videos (with sound) of the heat problem and finally convinced service guys it was a recurrent problem. The symptoms only appeared when driving the car after sitting in hot sunlight for about 2 hours. Taking it to BMW Service was no good as they always place the car in the shade before an investigation. On the videos, the sound of the fake data entry (soft plop sounds like a cell phone keyboard entry) was the key as it confirmed the touch sensitive screen (not the iDrive) was the part at fault. The entire screen module was replaced.
Wow! Yes mine makes those soft plops sounds when it goes wrong. Those sounds are only supposed to occur when touching the screen ...? Wow this helps me so much. Thank you. It has only happened a couple times but it is when things are heating up.

What was involved in replacing the screen? I worry about the service techs introducing squeaks and rattles into my car when it is tight as can be right now. I hate the thought of them disassembling my dash board etc. Thanks for letting me know how involved the repair was.

Thanks so much this is so very helpful to me.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:11 PM

iDrive automatically selecting items repetitively

Quote:
Wow! Yes mine makes those soft plops sounds when it goes wrong. Those sounds are only supposed to occur when touching the screen ...? Wow this helps me so much. Thank you. It has only happened a couple times but it is when things are heating up.

What was involved in replacing the screen? I worry about the service techs introducing squeaks and rattles into my car when it is tight as can be right now. I hate the thought of them disassembling my dash board etc. Thanks for letting me know how involved the repair was.

Thanks so much this is so very helpful to me.
I have trust in the BMW Service technicians in my locale, but any competent vehicle mechanic/autoelectrician should be able to refit the screen securely.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto:
So hoping on this thread with a somewhat related question...

On my 18' M3 Comp Pack with 14K miles, every time I turn the car on it not only does that stupid please observe the road warning I have to hit ok on, but it also pops up right after asking me to select my Driver Profile' from like a list of 5. This happens EVERY time I turn the car on.

Is there a way to turn this shi$ off?

Super annoying doing constant clicks on the center console whenever I get in.

Thanks yall, and sorry for hijacking the thread
Old 07-24-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I did the same about 2 weeks ago. This thread convinced the local BMW dealership that replacing the screen was the way to go. Before I discussed this thread, the BMW dealership was considering replacing the head unit.

So far so good... no more problems with the new screen. Fingers crossed.

So glad for this forum.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search