Exhaust - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:18 AM

Mein Auto: 04, 645
Exhaust

hi guys ..... what do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2005, 01:25 AM
(.)(.)

Mein Auto: 05 645Cic 6spd
PM Yardie..he's the jedi exhaust modder. His is better than yours. No matter what type you have, his is better.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:36 AM

Mein Auto: 04, 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve645
PM Yardie..he's the jedi exhaust modder. His is better than yours. No matter what type you have, his is better.
i dont need a jedi i just need to get a nice muffler and tips with some great sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2005, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto:
eisenmann

http://www.eisenhaus.com/main.php

choice of pipes round or dual

get race version, not club.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Other than looks what does the new exhaust do?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: whatever i want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer

Sport Average %HP Gain 4.1 - 4.7 % Average Flow Restriction26.1 - 28.8 %Average Sound Level 3.3 - 4.7 Average Weight Reduction % 28 - 37%
Racing Average %HP Gain 6.1 - 6.4 % Average Flow Restriction20.2 - 25.5 % Average Sound Level 5.1 - 8.9 Average Weight Reduction % 35 - 70%

Last edited by BruceWayne; 12-20-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
When you start adding mods such as lighter wheels, changing from RF's (spare in trunk), and exhaust, is there a way to be mindful of the 50/50 weight distribution? Surely these mods would alter a balanced car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm3
Sport Average %HP Gain 4.1 - 4.7 % Average Flow Restriction26.1 - 28.8 %Average Sound Level 3.3 - 4.7 Average Weight Reduction % 28 - 37%
Racing Average %HP Gain 6.1 - 6.4 % Average Flow Restriction20.2 - 25.5 % Average Sound Level 5.1 - 8.9 Average Weight Reduction % 35 - 70%
Old 12-20-2005, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto:
cmon Mal, certainly your mind is open enough

to have explored the advantages of an exhaust system in your many years of being a car buff.

Have you honestly never explored an exhaust systems benefits?

I mean even the most basic, center of any stage 1 tuning on any car has been chip, cai and exhaust for as long as people have tuned cars.

To let airflow enter and exit a car is an automatic 15-20 hp the OEM maufacturers dont give us for whatever reason.

You cant tell me that you dont know the advantage of allowing your car to breathe....

This is the most blatant form of a manufacturers oem parts "not getting it right from the factory" that I can think of.

I know in your mind you cant get past the idea that people change exhaust systems for the sheer look of it but this is only a fragment of why. HP gain from gases evacuating the system faster, tone, looks, weight, growl, extended engine life from cooler running, durability of steel, remove resonance....stop me when you get the point.

Say it aint so Mal.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:12 AM

what about passing emissions?
found this on the site also.
products are not EPA or CARB approved and are intended for off-road/track use only
granted these are new cars but what happens when you are tested?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645; 911TT; Maserati
Quote:
The sound of the Race version is exotic. Deep, rich warble at idle and when rolling in street traffic. Loud, menacing growl at WOT. Sounds like an actual big-block V-8.

The best part is when you're cruising at speed, having just accelerated in 3rd gear and then, like when in traffic on the freeway or approaching a curve on a country road, you let up (but not downshift). You hear a very throaty, musical-oriented waning of the exhaust back-pressure as the gasses are exhausted. Tres cool.

When downshifting/blipping (my SMG does the automatic blip) the sound is intoxicating.

It's not NASCAR loud, but you are playing in the same trombone section.

Best $2000 you can spend on this car, in my opinion.
BMW X6 M (Alpine White, with Sakhir Orange interior)
Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa (Grigio Touring Silver, with Black/Light Gray interior)
Mercedes SL500 (Pewter, with Charcoal Gray interior)
Old 12-20-2005, 10:31 AM

Quote:
what about passing emissions?........ what happens when you are tested?
When I re-registered my car, it passed DEQ emissions testing. My CEL has never come on. I've also checked my system with an OBD II test meter, it's all within tolerance. That all could change the next time I start my car. Just as it could the next time you start your 100% stock car.

Their website disclaimer is SOP. That's the only way you can survive in business these days, to list all the things you can't guarantee. Otherwise, if someone like Yardie has his CEL go on he'd ask for his money back, expect to keep the exhaust anyway and expect people to be fired.

No one but the dealer and OEM parts can support the factory warranty. Who else would be dumb enough to try? That's why the disclaimer is there.

If it concerns you, don't make the change.
Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa (Grigio Touring Silver, with Black/Light Gray interior)
Old 12-20-2005, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Best $2000 you can spend on this car, in my opinion.
my next mod!

Thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkfarm
to have explored the advantages of an exhaust system in your many years of being a car buff.

Have you honestly never explored an exhaust systems benefits?

I mean even the most basic, center of any stage 1 tuning on any car has been chip, cai and exhaust for as long as people have tuned cars.

To let airflow enter and exit a car is an automatic 15-20 hp the OEM maufacturers dont give us for whatever reason.

You cant tell me that you dont know the advantage of allowing your car to breathe....

This is the most blatant form of a manufacturers oem parts "not getting it right from the factory" that I can think of.

I know in your mind you cant get past the idea that people change exhaust systems for the sheer look of it but this is only a fragment of why. HP gain from gases evacuating the system faster, tone, looks, weight, growl, extended engine life from cooler running, durability of steel, remove resonance....stop me when you get the point.

Say it aint so Mal.
:ashamed: smiley.

I am looking into a new Borla exhaust on my Cummins turbodiesel, but I am very skeptical of the reports showing vast improvements in horsepower and fuel efficiency on non-turbo engines. Can you refer me to any independent studies or tests? "Seat of the pants" doesn't work for me, because I am skeptical of the "placebo effect." TTCarrera's post on the change in sound is interesting and so well written that it's almost a compelling reason in and of itself. But, before I do it, "Show me the Money!"
Old 12-20-2005, 10:51 AM

Quote:
When you start adding mods such as lighter wheels, changing from RF's (spare in trunk).......,
Why would you put a spare in your trunk if you took off your Run-Flats?

Lots of cars go without a spare these days. Both of my Porsche Cayennes don't have spares and come with an industrial strength inflater/goop kit.

I changed my BMW 6 wheels to 20" with non-RFs. I put a big $5 can of tire goop and a $13 electric pump in the cubbyhole in the trunk (instead of BMW's OEM $120 mobility kit) ..... same setup as in the Cayennes.

If I have a flat from a nail, I fill it up, put in the goop and drive to a tire store for repair sometime in the next day. If I have a blowout or something damages the tire beyond repair, all my cars have warranty roadside assistance, plus my AAA account, and I sit & wait for the tow truck.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto:
damn TT

we think just alike....

6 owners seem to be a breed apart from M3 owners....

most of this stuff is a given, amazing we have to explain it.

Its like trying to get a child to like brocolli or something....
Old 12-20-2005, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto:
Mal, there isnt a Stage 1 mod for any car in existance

that doesnt show a dynoed (7-26) BHP gain depending on the application. All HP gains nowadays are backed by Dyno, any unverified claims these days are dismissed.

It's like telling a girl at a bar you have a big dick.....It really means nothing until verification.

Last edited by phunkfarm; 12-20-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:

6 owners seem to be a breed apart from M3 owners....
no , not a different breed , the only difference between them, is the average age of a m3 owner and a 6 owner .
I can afford any car in the world but have chosen to drive a m3 the last couple years.

Last edited by BruceWayne; 12-20-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto:
true

but a 6 owner cant be so callous that he fears a HP inrease.

I mean a 6 is a performance touring coupe. A performance vehicle....

It's not like were at the Maybach site.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto:
Reliable Transportation

Some of us require reliable transportation, even if we have more than one vehicle. I didn't buy the 650i to be a garage queen or a weekend runabout. I need it, for example, for going from my office to a courthouse, often in a different county, always far away from Eagle's Nest where I live. So, spare tires or runflats are necessary for me. The old "I blew my tire, Your Honor" excuse doesn't get a lawyer very far these days.

I am concerned about all the mods, too, no matter how delightful they may appear (or sound). What do they do to reliability? And the warranty? I realize that no one on this Board has ever heard about anyone's warranty being voided by a chip "upgrade," but is that a good statistical sample? Is anecdotal evidence, which may or may not be correct (some guys may be too embarassed to post and confess), what you are going to rely on? Is it how you are going to prevail over BMW NA when you take it to court after it refuses to replace your $20,000 4.8 litre engine?

Me (Plaintiff): "Your Honor, I read on the Bimmerfest Board that no one who did an ECU chip upgrade has ever lost his warranty before. So, BMW can't do it to me!"

The Judge: "Judgment for the defendant. Next case!"

I realize that many of you whippersnappers do not have the need, for some reason, for reliable transportation, that a vehicle is your mode of exercising your First Amendment right to self-expression, rather than your constitutional right to mobility. God bless you. I'm not so lucky.

Just the humble opinions of a stick-in-the-mud old codger with 34 years of experience arguing with judges to do the right thing (i.e., find for my clients).
Old 12-20-2005, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto:
mal, please explain to me

by any stretch of your um...imagination....

How a muffler can make your car less reliable?
Old 12-20-2005, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
mal, please explain to me how by any stretch of your um...imagination....

How a muffler can make your car less reliable?
I don't accept your premise. Here's what I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
I am concerned about all the mods, too, no matter how delightful they may appear (or sound). What do they do to reliability? And the warranty?
Note the word "all" and the plural reference -"they"? I'm not picking on any one thing. Sounds to me, as I wrote in another thread, that you are going to wholesale rebuild the damn 6er. You and Alpina, giving Bangle a run for his dough!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:

Say it aint so Mal.

Sad indeed. But, Malibu might want to really shop around for a very good exhaust if he does want to change it on his 6er. I would love to, but I have a convertible 6er, and convertible 6ers are more for cruising around at moderate speeds with the top down. Having to hear your engine blast is orthogonal to the ragtopp experience.

That being said, it's best to go to a tuner shop and compare in person.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto:
you know....

im at the point to really suggest to Mal not to modify anything.

He is of a small percentage of people out there that would benefit more from the peace of mind of having his car stock.

Some people are just so "anal" that the day to day paralyzation he'd experience from the sheer fear of any sound, ding, knock, noise, etc would dive him literally insane.

Mods arent for everyone as we clearly see here.

Perhaps it would be helpful not to interject when were talking mods though, it is a nuisance having to revert to step one trying to make you feel warm and fuzzy about a mod when it's clear that it's not for you.

Let us talk it out and share info and listen in if you like.

Some of your posts have literally killed threads and taken the topic back to infancy.

We can accept mods arent for you, accept that we like them
Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise
Sad indeed. But, Malibu might want to really shop around for a very good exhaust if he does want to change it on his 6er. I would love to, but I have a convertible 6er, and convertible 6ers are more for cruising around at moderate speeds with the top down. Having to hear your engine blast is orthogonal to the ragtopp experience.

That being said, it's best to go to a tuner shop and compare in person.
Smooth - I remember yours posts on speed limits, so this post I guess reveals the kinder, gentler you? I, too, have the hatchback 650i, and while I love the burble of a V8, I will pass on this mod unless it gives me at least 25 more HP and doesn't make the back of my Bimmer look like Yardie's .
Old 12-20-2005, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Some people are just so "anal" that the day to day paralyzation he'd experience from the sheer fear of any sound, ding, knock, noise, etc would dive him literally insane.
Phunky - Did you burgle your way into my psychiatrist's office and steal my records?? There actually is one mod I want to do today when I pick up my car. I am going to see if I can get the part now. I will tell you about it, but only if you promise me this post won't kill this thread.

Malibubimmer (aka Mod Threadkiller)

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search