Mycarly experience - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 435i convertib le
Mycarly experience

I bought the MyCarly wifi adaptor and app to program my 2014 435i convertible. I paid extra to do some extended programming. I followed all the procedures including backing up my files. I did some programming, mirrors, opening screen etc. Everything went well. Then I programmed some lighting features outside and inside my car. Then disaster!

All of sudden I started getting fault codes. I would get rid them thru the app and was stuck in limbo land. I tried to restore from my old files. Nothing would work. At this point I had a red restraint error light on my dash and my neck warmers were not working. So one very critical issue!

I emailed Mycarly and a few days later I got a way to do a hard reboot of my system, including disconnecting the battery. That process did not correct anything. MyCarly said my ECU got corrupted and I would need to go to dealership to fix but they would pay for this repair as it is very rare. They sent me a sheet, in German, on what I should asked to get reprogrammed. I showed this to the dealership and they said they needed to do their own diagnostic since that was not necessarily my car.

Dealership did diagnostic and reprogrammed my 435i and everything was restored after about 90 minutes. The bill was $380. Mycarly said that was the most expensive repairs they had ever had in USA. At first they only agreed to pay slightly more than half. Then I explained dealership would only reprogram after they did diagnostic. They said there was so many faults it was better (cheaper & faster) to reprogram the car rather than individual modules.

After explaining that to Mycarly, MyCarly stepped up and paid for the remainder of the bill as well as the app cost and cost of module as I told them there was no way I was going to program anything again!

So my report: Mycarly app, D. Customer support: A (would have been A+ if it would not have taken weeks to get them to reply and then weeks for final payment to be made).

Make your own decisions, I am just sharing so others know the risks to programming and the good customer service of MyCarly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2018, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 440i X-drive
Just used Bimmercode

Just used Bimmercode app (all in easy mode except for easy entry seats in Expert mode) for the first time yesterday and it worked flawlessly. I had no idea Carly had enough access to enough stuff to brick the car.
Bimmercode's support was outstanding and it is good to hear you are working again and that Carly really stood by their product.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Dr.? Bitcoin. The Hippocratic Axiom is First Do No Harm.

Notice that dealers will not 'code'. Who bears the liability for failure? Much like Synthetic Programming old HP calculators and, now, jailbreaking cellphones, it is not for the faint of heart or dependent on your BMW for EDC.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ~
I have had great success with Carly.
I'm glad to hear they helped you out. Odd things can happen when playing with computers.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:47 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2018 540d
Save for later
Formerly: 2009 335d / Monaco Blue

Fuelly
Old 10-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Iíve used Carly on multiple vehicles many, many times and ever had a problem. But your situation clearly shows that anything can happen. Did you initially try to restore the backup?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search