Replaced M3 with Tesla Model 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: M3 Lime Rock
Replaced M3 with Tesla Model 3

So I went from an M3 to a model 3. And I will never drive an M3 ever again, Model 3 is a much superior cars in so many ways.

Model 3 acceleration is crazy quick and I'm sure it will beat the Lime Rock M3, which mine is. And this car can do much better in stop and go, like I can accelerate and decelerate very quickly if I have to.

With the M3, there is always a lag if you floor the gas. It won't just go, you will flood the engine with too much gas the car can't combust, so you're just kinda stuck. With the Model 3, you can gun it anywhere you want and you never have any lag.

It's almost like a Tesla is like turning on a lightbulb and an M3 is like trying to light a candle. Lightbulb is much quicker to get light, and you can turn it on and off as much as you like.

Electric is just much better. I feel one day, having an M badge or an AMG car won't really matter because electric cars will be superior to these hand crafted high end gas based engines. Why have a car with more moving parts that goes slower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 06:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Whats the point of this post, in the BMW M3 section, from a poster with 5 posts, other than to incite regular posters to trash your post or do what always happens when someone mentions "tesla" on a BMW board? Good for you, I guess?

FWIW, I bought a model 3 performance instead of getting another leased 440, and the money I spent would have gotten a stripped new M3 (although I like options, so my desired M3 build would have been in the low 80s). The fit and finish of tesla is no where near any of the german brands. Conversely, it drives (as you said) very well, and all of the power is on tap with no lag (and it drives like a big go cart). I agree that its an awesome commuter car, very happy to commute at regular speeds, and great handling, and incredible acceleration without having to do anything to get the acceleration but push the pedal.

So, I like the car, I made the decision to buy one myself, but.. why again did you feel you needed to come to this section to talk about why, in your opinion, the Tesla is "so much better" than an M3? I bring up your post count not to post count shame you (although I know that looks like what I am doing). I bring it up, as it is evidence that you are not a long time, active member of this site, so its not like you are telling a bunch of people you have interacted with over the years about your choice.

No one "dreams" of owning a telsa model 3. Maybe they will in a few years, maybe not, but all sorts of people dream of owning an M3. This basically feels like a clickbait post.

and one more time, so its extremely clear, I own a telsa model 3, the performance one, that had a 71.5k price so its not like I dont like the car.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M3 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Whats the point of this post, in the BMW M3 section, from a poster with 5 posts, other than to incite regular posters to trash your post or do what always happens when someone mentions "tesla" on a BMW board? Good for you, I guess?

FWIW, I bought a model 3 performance instead of getting another leased 440, and the money I spent would have gotten a stripped new M3 (although I like options, so my desired M3 build would have been in the low 80s). The fit and finish of tesla is no where near any of the german brands. Conversely, it drives (as you said) very well, and all of the power is on tap with no lag (and it drives like a big go cart). I agree that its an awesome commuter car, very happy to commute at regular speeds, and great handling, and incredible acceleration without having to do anything to get the acceleration but push the pedal.

So, I like the car, I made the decision to buy one myself, but.. why again did you feel you needed to come to this section to talk about why, in your opinion, the Tesla is "so much better" than an M3? I bring up your post count not to post count shame you (although I know that looks like what I am doing). I bring it up, as it is evidence that you are not a long time, active member of this site, so its not like you are telling a bunch of people you have interacted with over the years about your choice.

No one "dreams" of owning a telsa model 3. Maybe they will in a few years, maybe not, but all sorts of people dream of owning an M3. This basically feels like a clickbait post.

and one more time, so its extremely clear, I own a telsa model 3, the performance one, that had a 71.5k price so its not like I dont like the car.

I agree there's no point except to poke the bear I'm not sure where the complete surprise of how the Tesla instantly takes off comes from? It's powered by DC motors which are used extensively for their INSTANT TORQUE capabilities. This post is like the people on Twitter etc who post to tell you they're unfollowing! lol who cares!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2018 F80
He must be on drugs compared the EV vs gas engine car, did he mention the model requires charging where you just gas up the M3 and go.
2014 F30 335i Melbourne Red ( Sold )
2013 E93 M3 Melbourne Red DCT
2012 E93 Space Gray (Retired BMW buy back)
2009 E82 ( Sold )
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 6MT ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 01-11-2019, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 M4 ZCP
Look at his past posts. Heís out of college yet his daddy bought him his M3. Yet he was complaining it wasnít a GT3.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zamboni View Post
he must be on drugs compared the ev vs gas engine car, did he mention the model requires charging where you just gas up the m3 and go.
[attach]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170901_125055.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	835597  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM

reading some past posts of the OP, I can't decern if he's trolling hard or just that stupid?? I'm truly surprised he's still alive.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Look at his past posts. Heís out of college yet his daddy bought him his M3. Yet he was complaining it wasnít a GT3.
that was a funny thread! complains it wasn't a GT3, yet also complains that the things he wants to do with the M3 are "highly illegal " etc and it's boring! ...and the GT3 wouldn't be?? lol. sounds like he just wants to look good in something and pretend he can actually drive.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zamboni View Post
He must be on drugs compared the EV vs gas engine car, did he mention the model requires charging where you just gas up the M3 and go.
I am certainly not going to defend the OP at all... but this statement is funny. My car charges while I sleep, so I have a "full tank" every single morning, so I have no problem just "getting up and going".

The next thing someone always says is " well I take XXX rode trip 1200 miles and you cant do that". Yes I could, but I also have a gas car. We are replacing my wifes X5d with an X3 m40. Very nice car. I could road trip in either. A bit easier in the X3 though, for the 0-1 road trips a year I need to make.

Before the rest of the mud slinging, I would tell you.. just go test drive a model 3 performance and try to check the disdain at the door when you do. You might be surprised... like I was.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 01-11-2019, 07:16 PM

i think the reference may have been more to the idea of a friday afternoon and you and some friends decide to go on an impromptu trip or something along those lines. If your Tesla is down on charge those kinds of circumstances might not work out smoothly. Idk, just my take. I ran into the only Tesla I've seen in the wild on a road trip in my M3 this summer in BC, he cut me off so it wasn't a good first date! haha. Nice looking car I will say, how many miles can you get on a charge if you're doing mostly highway and not honking on it?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm View Post
i think the reference may have been more to the idea of a friday afternoon and you and some friends decide to go on an impromptu trip or something along those lines. If your Tesla is down on charge those kinds of circumstances might not work out smoothly. Idk, just my take. I ran into the only Tesla I've seen in the wild on a road trip in my M3 this summer in BC, he cut me off so it wasn't a good first date! haha. Nice looking car I will say, how many miles can you get on a charge if you're doing mostly highway and not honking on it?
rated for 310, driving actual highyway speeds at 75 ish, 250. I dont want to turn this into yet another "tesla" thread although that is the subject of the OP.

I would be happy to answer any questions, but PM me so that Im not spamming this board with tesla stuff, and causing a problem.

I believe I can give honest, non fanboy answers so feel free to PM on the subject if anyone has questions or is curious about something.

Im off to pick up my wifes X3 M40 tomorrow :-)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 01-12-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm View Post
that was a funny thread! complains it wasn't a GT3, yet also complains that the things he wants to do with the M3 are "highly illegal " etc and it's boring! ...and the GT3 wouldn't be?? lol. sounds like he just wants to look good in something and pretend he can actually drive.
I'm over gas based sport cars. I've rented a Lamborghini Huracan and that car is a pain in the ass to drive for normal commuting.

If I had every normal Tesla or a Lamborghini to choose to drive, I will likely be driving a Tesla over a Lamborghini for most commuting situations. I can't wait for that new Tesla Roadster to come out, it's going to be faster than a Buggati and cost only a few hundred thousand instead of a few million.

I feel gas powered sport cars will only become something to appreciate, but not really something you choose because it performs better. Maybe going the way of being a Rolex or Hublot because those watches have tons of moving parts that are appreciated, but not bought for the reason of having the most accurate time.

And someone who wants the most accurate time will get an atomic watch or Apple Watch for $200-$500 that gives more accurate times than a Rolex or Hublot. And I guess EVs are the same, where you can get a top of the line Tesla that costs less and performs the same as a gas based exotic car.

Last edited by JetFalcon; 01-12-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
Op, you joined here expecting to be the smartest guy in the room but should you decide one day to move away from mom and dad and strike out on your own you may wish you'd kept your M3. That is if you are able to use your liberal arts degree anywhere besides your local library.

Electric cars are still only an interesting novelty. The batteries are both expensive and create a lot of pollution and environmental damage in their production, they are range-limited which precludes trips of over 150 miles or so from home since that extends beyond their return range (there goes any sort of "road trip"), the batteries have a cycle life after which they must be replaced (at extreme cost, far beyond the cost of any internal combustion engine) and they involve multiple additional inefficiencies due to the power delivery and charge/discharge cycles. Lithium cells are also entirely intolerant of below-freezing temperatures; they can discharge in such conditions but cannot be charged below 0C without critical damage that leads to fires, so the in-car systems must prevent that from happening and away from "shore power" (a wall plug) the energy required to do so depletes the pack. There is no economically-rational technology to recycle lithium batteries either, unlike traditional starting batteries for cars (lead/acid chemistry) which can be infinitely recycled at low cost. I do wish you well with your's, however.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 18 M4 ZCP Cabrio & 18 X5M
Tesla is a fad, as once BMW and MB EV/hybrid come to market, Tesla will be a has been.

Regrading performance driving, as I expected "Tesla Model S Fails To Lap Nurburgring Under Full Power". https://insideevs.com/expected-tesla...l-power-video/

Or this "This Video Reminds Us That the Tesla Model S Is an Awful Track Car" http://www.thedrive.com/news/5207/th...wful-track-car

Last time I checked, there aren't Super Chargers ("SC") located adjacent to the tracks. ICE will be around for a while. Just image a SC being installed at the Ring gas station! #lol
2015 435 Cabrio M ED 9/14-Rtd
2011 X3 35i M PCD 6/11- Rtd
2011 335is Cabrio ED 9/2010-PCD 12/10-Rtd
2007 X3is PCD 1/07-Rtd
2007 335i Cabrio PCD 6/07-Rtd
2004 328i Cabrio PCD 3/04-Rtd
BMW Driving Experience Tracks:
Arjeplog Ice Training 2019
Nordschleife 2012 & 2018
Intensive Training for Professional Drivers 2017
Hockenheimring 2014
Advanced M VIR 2011
BMWCCA
Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Tesla is a fad, as once BMW and MB EV/hybrid come to market, Tesla will be a has been.

Regrading performance driving, as I expected "Tesla Model S Fails To Lap Nurburgring Under Full Power". https://insideevs.com/expected-tesla...l-power-video/

Or this "This Video Reminds Us That the Tesla Model S Is an Awful Track Car" http://www.thedrive.com/news/5207/th...wful-track-car

Last time I checked, there aren't Super Chargers ("SC") located adjacent to the tracks. ICE will be around for a while. Just image a SC being installed at the Ring gas station! #lol
I am interested to see what the BMW and Audi EVs look like in a few years (im not a fan of hybrids myself, would rather have an ICE car or an EV car, not a hybrid). Those linked videos are old, and model 3 performance has a track mode which prevents what happened to that model S from happening.

BUT.. for anyone looking for a "track focused" car there is no doubt that any EV is not the answer.

@Ibiza, there might be fast chargers at the 'ring, once BMW, Audi, Merc, and Porsche have performance EVs. Stranger things have happened.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Well if this is a taste of things to come from the German EV's, Tesla better watch out...When it comes to market in 2021, the BMW iNext will represent the 5th generation of BMWís electric vehicles and will boast an impressive 435 miles of all-electric range. According to Audi, the E-Tron GT (yes this stunning beauty has four doors) Can Charge for 20 Minutes and Go Almost 200 Miles.
[ATTACH]
(I'm ready to sell my cars and furniture and my Jordan V's to get into one of those if it looks like that )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190113_070358.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	835817  

Last edited by Dio///M; 01-12-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Q5 3.0T / 2016 M3
Anyone who has had extended time behind an EV knows the magic of having max torque available from 0 mph until warp. EV is the future and there is no doubt about it. Tesla in particular has really aced the driving dynamics... Model S and 3 both handle flawlessly and they are a joy to drive very fast. But it is a different kind of fun than driving a M3.

I'm in my late 40s so I have roughly another 30 years of driving left... I'm going to enjoy archaic internal combustion with pistons and valves and retro manual shifting with a clutch for as long as possible. I figured I will have plenty of opportunity to own a fast EV in the future but I may look back at the sunset of internal combustion with regret if I didn't buy a M3 (or 911 or a F-150 Raptor, whatever floats your boat) while I still can.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFalcon View Post
I'm over gas based sport cars. I've rented a Lamborghini Huracan and that car is a pain in the ass to drive for normal commuting.

If I had every normal Tesla or a Lamborghini to choose to drive, I will likely be driving a Tesla over a Lamborghini for most commuting situations. I can't wait for that new Tesla Roadster to come out, it's going to be faster than a Buggati and cost only a few hundred thousand instead of a few million.
Yeah. I have a buddy that drives 18 wheeler and he took me out for a spin as a passenger. Man, I'd NEVER drive one of those to commute to work.

Now, before you say something smart, mentally count how many 18 wheelers did you see on the road while commuting to get to your office and how many Lamborghini Whatevers. Yeah. Thought so. QED.

I still do not understand why oh why people see something with 4 wheels and immediately declare comparison fair with whatever it is they are driving now to commute. Then they bitch to no end about almost everything. Seriously? Is this how we got "4-door-coupe" and "luxury truck" segments?

I perfectly agree that not everybody (actually, it is more like almost nobody) places high importance on hearing engine hiss, burp, whirr, growl, yowl, shriek and whatever else they like sounding like while going about their business mere 15" behind your shoulders and with almost no insulation from your ears ... but please consider that THAT actually might be The Reason people pay $150,000+ premium over whatever the daily driver you drive cost. You know? One man's trash, other man's treasure? Live and let live? Single-purpose-vehicle?

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Yeah. I have a buddy that drives 18 wheeler and he took me out for a spin as a passenger. Man, I'd NEVER drive one of those to commute to work.

Now, before you say something smart, mentally count how many 18 wheelers did you see on the road while commuting to get to your office and how many Lamborghini Whatevers. Yeah. Thought so. QED.

I still do not understand why oh why people see something with 4 wheels and immediately declare comparison fair with whatever it is they are driving now to commute. Then they bitch to no end about almost everything. Seriously? Is this how we got "4-door-coupe" and "luxury truck" segments?

I perfectly agree that not everybody (actually, it is more like almost nobody) places high importance on hearing engine hiss, burp, whirr, growl, yowl, shriek and whatever else they like sounding like while going about their business mere 15" behind your shoulders and with almost no insulation from your ears ... but please consider that THAT actually might be The Reason people pay $150,000+ premium over whatever the daily driver you drive cost. You know? One man's trash, other man's treasure? Live and let live? Single-purpose-vehicle?
I don't think he has the capacity to distinguish between them.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:27 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: FBO 07 e92 335i
Congrats on the new car and you are entitled to your opinion but you mention in your post how the Tesla is superior in so many way yet the only thing you can think of is the start / stop feature?
Old 01-23-2019, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 ZCP
Okay hereís the pat on the back youíre looking for A partner of mine currently owns one, heís been bumming since the day it came home and currently shopping 911s. But hey, as long as you like yours and loathe the bimmer, right?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Okay hereís the pat on the back youíre looking for A partner of mine currently owns one, heís been bumming since the day it came home and currently shopping 911s. But hey, as long as you like yours and loathe the bimmer, right?
I wouldnt put a model 3 performance in the same category as a 911, those are true sports cars, not sports sedans. If he has the model 3 performance, he would be the first person I have heard that didnt like how it drove (if indeed thats his problem with it).

The performance version drives different than the regular ones, even though it looks almost exactly the same (one complaint of many performance owners).

I suspect that your friends issue is probably less how it drives, and more around build quality, as that is very hit or miss on these cars, and no where near any german car.

Does your friend have a performance version, and not like how it drives or is it "quality" thats bugging him as I suspect?

BMW CCA #477341
Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335
I just donít get it. Donít you like the sound of an ICE? I just donít see the pleasure in a fast go cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 08-27-2019, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Comparing a Tesla and an ICE car is apples and oranges. One may be faster, but they are very different. I like running through the gears and downshifting for corners. My fragile male ego stopped worrying about being faster than the next car about 50 years ago. Most BMWs are plenty fast for any reasonable situation. I prefer to drive my Honda S2000 over my 335i any time there are curvy roads. Not because it is faster, it isn't, but because it is much more fun. I was on the waiting list for a Model 3 and backed out. Partly this was due to the delays and quality issues. Partly from the lies about selling the car for $35K then making the early buyers pay much more to get a car. Mostly it was about what I consider stupid use of technology. I do not normally carry a cell phone, but that is how you are to unlock the door. I don't want to have to pull up a menu and use a touch screen to open a glove compartment. A friend had to drive his Model S home from Florida without access to his suitcase because the trunk would not open and there was no backup way to open it. Knobs and dials are intuitive and relatively easy to use allowing you to keep your eyes on the road. Something we should all be doing until true self driving cars are the norm.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey100 View Post
I just donít get it. Donít you like the sound of an ICE? I just donít see the pleasure in a fast go cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Well, it's great when you want a comfortable ride home. Yeah, it does sound like a go-kart from K1 Speed. You can slam the "accelerator" and there is never any lag. I tried doing that with my M3 back when I had it, it just lag and stutter, and not really go anywhere. You have to slowly give it gas until it picks up speed.

I wish commercial airplanes could use electric engines like a Tesla, then flying would be so much more comfortable and planes can land / take off near any residential area without being super noisy.

Why don't ICE car fans ever say they enjoy the sound of an airplane engine. I am sure those engines are way more powerful than the most expensive sports car, and those things are multi million dollar machines, not just a several hundred thousand or a few million dollars.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search