My experience with the N63 Valve Stem seals issue/lawsuit - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750Li
My experience with the N63 Valve Stem seals issue/lawsuit

A little background about the vehicle, I posted about 3 years ago having this issue. I purchased a 2010 750 from a used car dealer here in northern nj. About 2 months after the purchase, I get the Oil warning and start to do research, disappointing news regarding these engines.

So I went to the BMW dealership and was told about Oil consumption testing. At the time I had Carchex 3rd party warranty. The carchex agent found a loophole saying they would fix the seals if they were BROKEN not Leaking. So I immediately canceled the 3rd party warranty since it seemed like if a future issue happened, they would do the same.
I was quoted about $8k at the time to have the seals replaced at the BMW service center. At that point, I had given up on getting it fixed. I loved the car and how comfortable it drove, overall a great vehicle minus the valve issue. I would top off 1 quart when I got the message and had oil changes every 5,000 (instead of the recommended 10k) miles because of this issue.

I had pretty much given up on the car and was going to purchase a different vehicle once this one had fully messed up.

Fast forward to the lawsuit....Long story short, I went to Bloomfield NJ service center. I must say, the service agent was very welcoming and addressed my concerns, said he would get the process started. Unfortunately, it seemed at this time that bmw was picking between getting the engine replaced or doing the valve steam seals job. (looks like people who started in October/November were able to pick between the 2 options) From reading other users posts on these forums, I thought I would be able to pick between the two, which I would go with the Engine swap and pay my percentage.

Unfortunately my vehicle didn't qualify for the engine swap so they went ahead and did the seals replacement. Today, I got my vehicle back. It seems to ride better and I can only HOPE that there are no future issues regarding the valve stem seals (getting worried because some users stated there was version 1 and version 2 of the seals since v1 seals weren't that great).

They changed the seals, did the camshaft replacement and replaced my battery.
They also changed the turbo coolant lines because they found them to start leaking but I was charged for this. The SA suggested it be done since the engine was out and the labor wouldn't be as much. He had mentioned it was around a 2k job and I was charged around $750. I accepted.

I included some pictures of the work that was done. Maybe someone can decipher it and see any issues that they have/had.

Overall, I am satisfied for the time being. The SA did mentioned that as they were driving it after the seals were replaced, they noticed it would jerk a bit and said it might be the transmission going bad. They put 2 quarts of transmission fluid since mine was very low. I remember back in November of 2018 there was one really cold day and my vehicle did kind of jerk at the initial start and during the first few minutes. Stopped after that....so maybe it was the cold, I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	838411   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	838413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	838415  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
how does a SEALED transmission lose 2 qts of fluid?!? Unless it had been serviced in the past.

I think BMW did good on this. It's now a 9 year old car and they stepped up to replace the seals... it shouldn't have been needed of course, but they did good.

If it takes another 7 years for these seals to go bad again, the car would be 16 years old and probably not worth much. As it is now, 2010s are going for less than a new Civic, but that's for a good reason.

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic M-Sport Packages: Driver Assistance | ARS | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
BMS Stage 1 Tune | Pedal Box | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Mtec Angel Eyes LED | Rear Tinted Taillights | Coded

E38 740i Black Sport Packages: PDC | Convenience | Sunshade
Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Ring | Modified M-Sport Steering Wheel | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Refinished M-Parallel Wheels | Celis Tails

My PedalBox Stealth Install: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=725889
Old 02-02-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom View Post
how does a SEALED transmission lose 2 qts of fluid?!? Unless it had been serviced in the past.

I think BMW did good on this. It's now a 9 year old car and they stepped up to replace the seals... it shouldn't have been needed of course, but they did good.

If it takes another 7 years for these seals to go bad again, the car would be 16 years old and probably not worth much. As it is now, 2010s are going for less than a new Civic, but that's for a good reason.
I was wondering that myself.
The only service that was done was the oil changes, 3 during the time I had the vehicle and putting anti freeze here and there because I would get the low coolant level.

When I took it in back 3-4 years ago for the oil issue, the SA at the time gave me a printout of the history of the vehicle. It had one owner, they did the Customer care package back in April 2015 and I guess he got rid of it because I purchased it in August 2015. So I believe he saw the issue and got rid of it before It gave him more problems and I was the next person to get these issues.

But yea, you are definitely correct, bmw did good on it. It definitely shouldn't have been needed and it took a lawsuit for them to take action but for now, I am pleased. But like others have mentioned, it might not be enough to fully have it 'fixed'

We'll see in a couple of years how it goes. The worst thing about this is that it had the oil issue when it didn't even have 50k miles. I understand that vehicles need regular maintenance but such an expensive car shouldn't start going bad so early on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
If your engine oil was changed at 15k intervals as recommended by BMW, the turbos probably cooked the oil. Once the oil has become oxidized & acidic, it starts eating all of the rubber seals. Change your oil from 3 to 5k miles, & all should stay good with the engine.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
OP, you didn't state (or I missed it) how many miles are on the car. I agree though, a "sealed" transmission shouldn't be leaking, but it's old now... probably too late for a service. These things should be serviced, none of that BMW lifetime fluid nonsense, but anecdotal reports and old wives tales (including my indy shop) say that if it wasn't serviced early on, just leave it alone. Maybe you should just have the fluid level checked bi-annually.

I think the combination of BMW service intervals, the positioning of the turbos in the vee, the driving styles of American drivers and the economy programming of the transmissions (shifting early) all combined to cause these engine issues. It is a shame that so many owners took it in the shorts on these cars (in reliability, resale and repair costs) but hopefully these fixes will work for most of them.

I bought the 750i instead of a 740i because I hoped that the newer engines (my car is a 2015) had fixed the issues, and the depreciation was so bad on the V8 that I got into a CPO 750i for nearly the same price as a 740i. Plus I like all of those torques! LOL

Best of luck to you.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
OP, you didn't state (or I missed it) how many miles are on the car. I agree though, a "sealed" transmission shouldn't be leaking, but it's old now... probably too late for a service. These things should be serviced, none of that BMW lifetime fluid nonsense, but anecdotal reports and old wives tales (including my indy shop) say that if it wasn't serviced early on, just leave it alone. Maybe you should just have the fluid level checked bi-annually.

I think the combination of BMW service intervals, the positioning of the turbos in the vee, the driving styles of American drivers and the economy programming of the transmissions (shifting early) all combined to cause these engine issues. It is a shame that so many owners took it in the shorts on these cars (in reliability, resale and repair costs) but hopefully these fixes will work for most of them.

I bought the 750i instead of a 740i because I hoped that the newer engines (my car is a 2015) had fixed the issues, and the depreciation was so bad on the V8 that I got into a CPO 750i for nearly the same price as a 740i. Plus I like all of those torques! LOL

Best of luck to you.
i had my transmission replace by BMW 2-3 year ago. would that be too late to service and just check level. or is now good time to start the service intervals on trans?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:29 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
Quote:
Originally Posted by paprmkr View Post
i had my transmission replace by BMW 2-3 year ago. would that be too late to service and just check level. or is now good time to start the service intervals on trans?
Well first, I gotta say: Love your avatar!

The whole "should I service my BMW transmission?" question has a lot of Internet lore behind it, but my understanding of the general consensus is:

If you start doing transmission fluid changes when the car (or in this case, the replacement transmission) first gets to 30,000 miles, and do it every 30,000 miles, that would be the best thing. If you can't do it by 50,000 or so, then you're better off just not doing it at all.

So in your case, unless you are driving the wheels off of that thing, in 3 years you're probably still in good shape to do a fluid service, especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post

Best of luck to you.
when I purchased the car 3 years ago, it had just a little over 49k miles. when I took it in for service last month, it went in with 65k miles

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search