Consistent foggy headlights - help, please. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW Z4
Consistent foggy headlights - help, please.

Hi,
I have a 2005 E85 Z4. I always had a problem with my passenger side headlight fogging up and remain that way for months at a time. After the recent rain, my passenger side headlight fogged up really badly. I took it out to fix it and realized there was at least a quarter of water has gotten into it. Water just began to pour out of it, but after then after that, I noticed a lot of sand sitting inside my headlight and were stocked to the front lens from the inside. How could a good amount of sand in various sizes find its way to the inside of my sealed headlight? I have no idea, but that's not the issue I am writing about. My headlight lens is so dirty that it must be replaced but after looking at the prices I know this is not a good time to spend hundreds of dollars on my headlight at this point.

I looked up Youtube for a solution and found many references on how to disassemble a headlight for different purposes. If I can take the clear front lens off of its housing then most of my problem will be resolved. I can open it up and clean it from the inside and while at it replace its old and cracked wiring too then I can put them back securely seal it so no water can get into it again. I think all my problems could be resolved once I take the front lens out.

Most instructions called for placing the headlight in the oven at about 175 to maximum 250 degrees for a period of 7 to 20 min. After that, the glue melted and the light was pulled apart relatively easy. But that does not work on my headlight. It is stocked so tight. It also seems that there is a big seal that keeps it in place. I used a screwdriver and tried to pry it open and it would not bodge. I thought maybe the glue is old and that's why it is not coming off. So I started to increase temperature and kept the headlight in the oven longer, but there was no change. It made no difference and the lens did not come apart even for a quarter of an inch. Finally, I took the temperature up to 275 degrees and left the headlight in there for 20 minutes. I could smell the headlight in there anymore. So finally I took it out and there was no change. It just would not come apart. One of the Youtube videos dealt with a BMW headlight and even that one appeared to be similar to all other makes and models and came off relatively easy.

Now my car is sitting in my driver with its bumper and headlight out. My once beautiful Z4 now looks so ugly and unsightly. Plus I need transportation. Please help me if you can, even a little because I'm at my wit's end. I appreciate if anybody who can tell me what I am doing wrong or point me to where I can get my answer. I forgot to mention that all the headlights I saw had many screws that attached the front lens to its housing. These screws had to be removed before placing it in the oven. The BMW in the Youtube clip had only one such screw, but mine does not seem to have any screws attaching the two parts together. Are there any hidden screws that I must take out which is preventing to release the front lens?

Thank you all so much in advance.

Last edited by mkhounani; 04-10-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: CHANGE THE HEADING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 12:44 AM
WalkTheWalk

Mein Auto: 06 Z4 Coupe
Try the ChrisFix method. Just youtube it. Gonna try the same soon.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
I have the same problem with my headlight lenses here in muggy Florida. Humidity finds its way in and is trapped, ending up condensing on the lens. I recommend drilling a small hole in the bottom of each lens to let the water out. Then place a dehumidifier nearby, or simply park the car in the sun on a warm day to evaporate the trapped water. You can reseal the hole with a rubber nib or a dab of silicone.
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 10:06 PM
WalkTheWalk

So when it it gets wet again, you'd have to take the plug out or redrill the hole? I think it'd be better to find where the breach is. Remove the headlight, blow in the headlight hole to hear where air escapes. Then clean and pick out the sealant/adhesive used and re-seal it with waterproof silicone. You could probably use a hairdryer to get the water or condensation to dry faster. Then you wont have to worry about it getting wet or condensation inside again.

Hey guys.

Last edited by papitosabe; 04-14-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Replace the pod

You could try all of the solutions being floated, but my guess is that moisture is finding its way into the pod and will continue to do so. Eventually, mold will form on the inside of the lens and then there's only one solution: replace the pod. Or you could just skip to the last step.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:38 PM
WalkTheWalk

That's why I said to find the breach
..reseal, dry it out (or vice versa)... and your good... if you reseal it correctly, you should have an issue with water condensing again.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by papitosabe View Post
So when it it gets wet again, you'd have to take the plug out or redrill the hole? I think it'd be better to find where the breach is. Remove the headlight, blow in the headlight hole to hear where air escapes. Then clean and pick out the sealant/adhesive used and re-seal it with waterproof silicone. You could probably use a hairdryer to get the water or condensation to dry faster. Then you wont have to worry about it getting wet or condensation inside again.
I replaced the left headlight housing a little over a year ago as the adjusters in my existing one were shot. I had a similar issue when I installed the replacement (mind you, it was not brand new, it was a refurb) where in the inside was covered with moisture. I used a hairdryer to dry out all the compartments, reinstalled the bulbs, and purchased brand new back covers to ensure I had a good seal. After all the reassembly, the tiny bit of fogginess that remained was evaporated by the bulb heat. Haven't had any problems since. I think the keys for me were drying out the housing and putting on a cover with a good seal.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.0

Last edited by jman1975; 04-16-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by papitosabe View Post
So when it it gets wet again, you'd have to take the plug out or redrill the hole?
Oddly enough, I have not had to and have not had a problem since. I suspect the "leak" is not on the lens itself but where the bulb inserts into the back of the housing.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 1997-328iC
I tend to drive mine a lot. When I drive I turn on the headlights. The heat from the bulb has cleared mine up.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
clean headlights, disassemble headlight, e85, fogged, fogging headlights, foggy, headlights, z4

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search