My M2 performance exhaust is too loud for me - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1M & M2 > F87 M2 (2016 - current)

F87 M2 (2016 - current)
BMW will be unveiling the upcoming F87 M2 and this is the place to talk about it. Are you adding one of these to your garage?

Old 05-12-2019, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto:
My M2 performance exhaust is too loud for me

Hello everyone, my first tech post. I bought a slightly used 2018 M2 and it came optioned with the performance exhaust. This is my 7th bmw. I think the M2 is a fantastic machine, plenty of power, amazing handling and most young folks would love the exhaust note. Unfortunately I'm not young at 69 and to me it is too loud and at 3000 rpms in 6th gear at 80 mph it's a drone - loud drone that even creates a vibrational buzz somewhere in the back seat area that I haven't been able to identify. But bottom line is I want to change it substantially. I don't believe , although I haven't been able to physically compare the stock M2 exhaust to the Performance Exhaust (PE). But from what I've heard on YouTube I don't think the stock exhaust is even going to reduce the note enough. So my question to this group is whether any of you think the stock M240 exhaust would actually harm the engine? I think it would be quiet enough. If it didn't effect the power output much or at all I think it might be the perfect solution for me. I don't want to sell the car because it's too loud. I love the car otherwise. If any of you know an engineer at bmw that could answer my question that I might contact, I would love to contact him or her by writing or whatever.
Thanks everyone - any helpful comments are welcome.
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 18 LCI M2 BSM MT
Stock M2 exhaust is actually pretty quiet inside in Comfort as well as all modes when ASD is deactivated (via coding or the bypass harness). I'd be willing to bet it would be easy to find someone willing to trade their stock exhaust for MPE with some cash thrown in.

Last edited by CT Sean; 05-13-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto:
What is ASD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 04:23 AM

Active Sound Design. Artificial exhaust noise play through the stereo system of the car. Makes it artificially louder in sport and sport plus.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
Hey Tim,

I had the same complaint when I first got my car. I have found (unless it's my imagination) that the car is a little less loud and sonorous as it has gotten more miles (now at 3500) on it. It's still too loud and that highway drone is maddening, but either it toned down or I'm just going deaf.

What?

I've done one long highway trip in the car, and I used earplugs for most of the journey. I also found that if I leave it in fifth gear, which puts the RPMS up around 3200+ when doing 75 MPH, it kills most of the resonance. Probably not great for fuel economy or long-term engine life, but when I was on that trip I was still in the break-in period, so I thought it would be good to occasionally alternate engine speed.

Also, research has indicated that it's not a direct swap between stock and PE, as there are differences in the exhaust plumbing, so it's not a straight muffler swap, but obviously anything can be done with enough time and money.

I would be interested to hear your results if you do go through with this.

I will admit though that on the track at high RPMs and heavy throttle application, when you open the valves on that ridiculous exhaust, it does sound glorious.

I might also suggest that you post on various "2" forums and see if you can find someone local who's taken off their 235 or 240 exhaust for an aftermarket unit and will sell it to you for cheap. Yes, I would presume that you might lose a few horsepower, but it's probably well worth the trade-off.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
Hey Tim,

I had the same complaint when I first got my car...
MPE or stock? If stock, have you tried ASD disabled? I much prefer my stock exhaust with ASD disabled, I actually wouldn't mind it louder on occasion.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:39 AM
former motorcycle rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Sean View Post
MPE or stock? If stock, have you tried ASD disabled? I much prefer my stock exhaust with ASD disabled, I actually wouldn't mind it louder on occasion.
MPE. Disabling asd makes little difference.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
MPE. Disabling asd makes little difference.
that would make sense - I'd expect MPE to drown out ASD. What I'm suggesting to OP is to ditch the idea of figuring out how to fit a 235/240 exhaust and just get a stock exhaust and disable ASD. i don't find it at all loud with stock exhaust and no ASD
Old 06-07-2019, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto:
PM Sent
Old 06-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 ZHP Convertible
Well to the OP I feel ya bro! I'm turning 60 and I LOVE the M2- my wife has an 18 model and I want to get a 19 Comp. She has the "special Exhaust" and OMG it is too loud for me inside with the engine drone and tire noise its just too much. I have heard the Competition is a BIT quieter and I will NOT order the Performance Exhaust- stock is good- I like the sound SOMETIMES and dont need to impress the ladies anymore (not that they were ever impressed with a 6 cylinder lol) I have posted before- I am going to make an M2 for us GEEZERs who love the look the style the SIZE (The M2 is PERFECT for me its not a low slung Porsche but has real world usage perfect seating possition you get INTO it and dont "fall" into it like really lowered cars. And has a sunroof that real "race cars" dont have obviously. I am not taking my new M2 to the track. And we geezers still love the handling that the M2 provides- but can do without the excessive cabin sound. I will add at 100 lb. of sound deadening in the floor and trunk (Will add a sub to enhance the music part of the sound LOL) and I have heard (not driven) that in comfort mode the 2019 is even a bit more compliant than the Filling rattling suspension of the non competition models- so will probably keep the stock suspension as it is pretty much perfect for the M2 and I dont want an air suspended Mercedes that is nice but really soft.

Last edited by SilvrZHP; 06-17-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:20 AM
former motorcycle rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrZHP View Post
I have heard (not driven) that in comfort mode the 2019 is even a bit more compliant than the Filling rattling suspension of the non competition models
Really, the solution to the filling-rattling is to get crowns.

Seriously, you're going to be a 2 M2 family? That's awesome!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
I have heard (not driven) that in comfort mode the 2019 is even a bit more compliant than the Filling rattling suspension of the non competition models- so will probably keep the stock suspension as it is pretty much perfect for the M2 and I dont want an air suspended Mercedes that is nice but really soft.
M2 and M2C have exact same suspension (there's a long thread on bimmerpost confirming this) and neither is adjustable.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 ZHP Convertible
Quote:
M2 and M2C have exact same suspension (there's a long thread on bimmerpost confirming this) and neither is adjustable.
Yes on the non adjust ability but I thought suspension "mapping" was changed in the 2C because of the extra weight of the car and engine?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Yes on the non adjust ability but I thought suspension "mapping" was changed in the 2C because of the extra weight of the car and engine?
There's no suspension mapping if that's what you mean. They are just good old fashioned dumb struts shocks and springs. The DSC software is supposed to be different though. That, along with different weight engine, the CF strut, different seats, different brakes, who knows what other little tiny things, all add up the subtle difference that some people report. I've never driven an M2C to actually know, but I find it hard to believe anyone who finds the M2 "filling rattling" would find the M2C comfy when all the suspension hardware is the exact same parts. I'd actually be a bit dissappointed as I think the M2 ride is great and a soft version would diminish what it is.

https://carbuzz.com/cars/bmw/m2

The important quote from a BMW PM here https://carbuzz.com/cars/bmw/m2
Quote:
We experimented with variations of the M2 spring and damper rates but found that with the improved front-end stiffness the original settings were ideal,” explained Peter Schmid, Project Manager for Driving Dynamics. “This is the first time ever in my career that this has happened, and all we needed, in the end, was some software recalibration of the control electronics.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:16 AM
former motorcycle rider

Quote:
According to the BMW website, the M2 now comes standard with the M adaptable suspension with three modes. But if you burrow down further into the "features" it does not list that.

So some marketing guy must have misinformed the web page developer. Hence all of the misunderstanding.

The suspension works (I have it on my 750i) with noticeable changes between settings. But it's nice that we don't have the extra weight, complexity and future maintenance costs on the M2. Simple can be better.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:00 AM

that would certainly lead to confusion - I didn't realize BMW incorrectly claimed adaptive suspension in the M2Cs.

Here's an M2C shift console from a random one for sale somewhere. the blank button between throttle response and steering is where the adaptive suspension button would be, if ti had it.

compared to an M4 console with adaptive

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1M & M2 > F87 M2 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search