Cranks no start - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-14-2019, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 745i
Cranks no start

I have a 2006 325xi it cranks and no start. The eng turns got fuel got spark. I changed the crankshaft both camshafts and still no start. The battery volts are good. I put my scanner on and got this code 2A38 itís the Valvetronic will this stop my car from turning over?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsny97 View Post
I have a 2006 325xi it cranks and no start. The eng turns got fuel got spark. I changed the crankshaft both camshafts and still no start. The battery volts are good. I put my scanner on and got this code 2A38 itís the Valvetronic will this stop my car from turning over?
My understanding of that code and how VVT works is that your engine SHOULD start as normal, (if THAT is your ONLY code), but you may have "Limp Mode" due to improper VVT function. The Definition of BMW FC 2A38 given by "www.bmwfault.codes" for the N52 Engine & MSV70 DME is:
N52 | P1030 | 2A38 | DME: Valvetronic, monitoring, sluggish movement | MSV70 | Engine electronics

If the Starter "cranks" or turns the engine, but the engine does NOT "fire" (there is NO spark or fuel in the cylinders, so NO fuel is ignited), and there is NO sputter, attempt to start, or change in starter "cranking" speed or RPM, that suggests that the DME is not triggering EITHER or perhaps BOTH (1) the fuel injector pulse, or (2) the ignition spark timing.

You say "got fuel" -- how was that determined? Have you listened with Mechanic's Stethoscope at injector body for click during starter cranking? There may be fuel in the tank, and the fuel pump may be pressurizing the fuel rail, and there may even be 12V+ in the Orange wires to the injectors, BUT if the DME is NOT triggering the injectors by furnishing a Ground Pulse of proper duration, then NO fuel is injected into the intake ports.

You say "got spark" -- likewise, how was that determined? Since with a COP (Coil On Plug) ignition, there is NO HT wire into which to insert a "spark tester light", the only way I know for a DIY'er to actually check spark is with a Noid light, OR to remove a coil from the plug, attach it to a grounded "known-good" plug, and see if that grounded plug sparks during cranking.

I presume you mean that you changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor and BOTH Camshaft Position Sensors?
1) WHAT fault codes or performance issues did you have BEFORE you did any such replacement?
2) What caused you to replace those sensors?
3) Was the engine NOT starting BEFORE you replaced those sensors?
4) If so, what work was done under the hood between the LAST time the engine started, and the FIRST time it would NOT start?
5) Did you read codes after the FIRST time it would NOT start & if so what were those codes?
6) Are you SURE that "2A38" is the ONLY fault code currently present in the DME Memory?
7) What mileage/km does Freeze Frame Data show 2A38 to have been saved at?
8) What is your current mileage/km?
9) If NOW other codes than 2A38, Same Freeze Frame data for each?

As you probably know, the DME needs BOTH a signal from the Crankshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor(s) to properly time the injector pulse and spark. Without those signals, even though you have battery power to the injectors & coils, and fuel pressure in the fuel rail, if the DME does NOT provide the "Ground" trigger to the coils or injectors, NOTHING happens, NO Spark, NO Fuel in the cylinders; the Starter just grinds away at a constant ~ 150 RPM.

After RE-checking for Fault Codes in the DME which MAY provide additional clues, I would suggest starting over in testing wiring, using a multimeter and the following circuits from TIS for your 2006 325xi, Ignition Coils, Fuel Injectors, Power Supply to DME & DME Relay, and DME Module 3 to which Power is supplied as above:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nition/oVletnn
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ection/i8vQ1Q3
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/i4RGgA7
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...l-unit/i7vutzw

Please let us know what you find,
George

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search