Idrive problems after power and ground bridge - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto:
So I installed 2 amps into the sound system to power the subs and door speakers after getting fed up with the l7 failing over and over again. I rough wired everything at first and kept it like that for a while and it worked beautifully. Sounded great and everythin worked. and the other day I ripped all the wiring out and rewired so it was alot more uniform. Cut everything to length etc. Well because I'm a ****ing idiot. I allowed my power and ground to bridge and it burnt out the fuses associated with the radio etc. Well since then the idrive does not work. The screen comes on and I can navigate the menus. But theres no FM stations showing, no control over l7. So I figured there must be something wrong with the most bus. I started pulling the connectors to look for the break in light but the thing is there is no light anywhere. No light at the control display no light at the instrument cluster no light at the l7 or anywhere else. So now I'm trying to figure out, where does the light originate from? Where does the fiber optic light start? Because I'm assuming that's what is the problem since I am not receiving any most light in any of the modules. The airbag modules have light, but the most loop does not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by UrbanAnonymous; 05-15-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 730i E65
It all begins in the MMI unit if I'm not mistaking as that is the gateway between the can and most bus so when that (ST10F269-T3) receives a terminal 15 (accessory on) signal from the cas it powers up and in that turn wakes up the most bus.

Anyway so check the if the MMI output any light over to the ASK unit. I think the ask is the most likely fault. You can also check to see if you have blown any fuse on the controll units themself, there's one on on the back of the mmi for instance.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbelito View Post
It all begins in the MMI unit if I'm not mistaking as that is the gateway between the can and most bus so when that (ST10F269-T3) receives a terminal 15 (accessory on) signal from the cas it powers up and in that turn wakes up the most bus.

Anyway so check the if the MMI output any light over to the ASK unit. I think the ask is the most likely fault. You can also check to see if you have blown any fuse on the controll units themself, there's one on on the back of the mmi for instance.

Thank you for the reply. I acctually found the problem, it was the 6 disc changer, the only device in the loop I didnt check because I hadn't had the time to pull it out. But for future reference, could you tell me where the mmi unit is located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 730i E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAnonymous View Post
Thank you for the reply. I acctually found the problem, it was the 6 disc changer, the only device in the loop I didnt check because I hadn't had the time to pull it out. But for future reference, could you tell me where the mmi unit is located?
It's the 8.8" or 6.5" navigation screen in the dash. The mmi is placed on the back of the LCD.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search