Bavsound review - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Bavsound review

OK, so about a half year ago I noticed that the tweeter in my front passenger door on my 328i was having problems. Certain frequencies would cause major distortion. The mid-range driver also had issues here and there, so I presumed it was on its way out as well. Through plenty of research (*cough* ctuna *cough*), I learned lots about the BMW factory audio system. In other words, I basically learned that there's no way in hell I want to f*** with it No, seriously, IMO it's too integrated into the vehicle on a whole. Unless you're willing to pay big $$$ for a competent audio shop to do it, or you have a lot of experience yourself with these specific vehicles, I personally wouldn't touch it.

FWIW, I'm not someone who knows nothing about aftermarket audio. I have spent many hours and many dollars on aftermarket sound systems for vehicles, from Rockford Fosgate (back when they were cool ! ) to Cerwin Vega. I was even one of those idiots that bought an in-dash motorized LCD display from Alpine back when they were $3K.... And now you can buy on Amazon for $249..... Anyways, my point is, I've done lots of car audio in my driving years, and I'm not afraid to take things apart, run wiring, etc.

I was about to pull the trigger on ordering stock OEM replacements, when I came across Bavsound. Plug and play, no modifications needed, drop-in replacement. Hmmmmmmmmmmm I checked out some reviews and what others have said on forums and everyone seems to be pretty happy with them, so I figured I'd give them a shot. I ordered up a Stage One speaker replacement kit (this replaces all the door and rear shelf speakers in my HiFi system). One thing about Bavsound that sucks is that they don't ship outside the USA. So I wound up shipping it to my address in Alaska, and making the 5 hour round trip to go pick up the package when it arrived.

I had the speakers installed by my indy as I had some other routine maintenance to do on the car anyways.

I'll start by saying that I wasn't "blown away". But I'll also start by saying that isn't the fault of the speakers. Let me explain. There are two measurements that most people will use when evaluating how an audio system sounds. One is quality, and one is quantity.

On the quality side, Bavsound isn't even in the same category as OE. The quality of the audio Bavsound can produce is absurdly awesome. Everything from clarity to tones you couldn't possibly hear or distinguish with the OE setup. These speakers are well made and it certainly shows in their performance (see the magnet difference from OE to Bavsound in the attached images). I could write a super detailed essay about the differences between OE and Bavsound, but no one would probably read it, so suffice it to say, these are ABSOLUTELY worth the upgrade.

On the quantity side, this is where I was disappointed. "Quantity", from an audio perspective, can also be understood as loudness, or volume. IMO, these speakers are actually not as loud as OE. Cranking the volume knob to max actually results in a quieter overall volume than OE. Ummmmmmm, what the hell ? Back to doing more research, this is actually a common perception from Bavsound'ers. I suspected (and confirmed from research) that the issue is now the factory amplifier. The factory amp only has 205 watts vs Bavsound's 645 watts.

Now, quantity, or loudness / volume matters a lot to me. My hearing isn't the best as it is, so to really enjoy music, I tend to have to louder than most folks probably would.

All in all, I am very happy with the Bavsound speakers. They are, without a doubt, a major upgrade from the OE speakers, and I would recommend them to anyone. For me, it looks like I'll need to also swap out my amp, so when I do that I'll update this thread with my further thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190405_124129.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	851981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190508_153349.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	851983  

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Since you said amplifier and 200 watts I will assume you have the Hi Fi
(Do you know what the impedance of the Bavsounds are because the
stock Hi Fi is 2 ohms. 4 ohm speakers will mean you get about 1/2 the power.)
system. The standard fix for that system used to be and aftermarket amp
and then speakers.
And aftermarket amp is easy to add with the Technic Hi Fi Harness.
The standard one we used to use is the JL xd600/6.
The amp connector is a one throw switch.

If I was doing this now I would get one of the Helix amp/dsp's

Both Bimmertech and Bavsound are putting there name on these and reselling them.

Bimmertech uses the Helix 86 dsp/amp now
and Bavsound uses the Helix BMW 7.

The advantage of buying these from them is they come with a tune .
If you do not want to play with wiring and tuning this may be the easiest
way to go.

Last edited by ctuna; 05-15-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Since you said amplifier and 200 watts I will assume you have the Hi Fi
(Do you know what the impedance of the Bavsounds are because the
stock Hi Fi is 2 ohms. 4 ohm speakers will mean you get about 1/2 the power.)
system. The standard fix for that system used to be and aftermarket amp
and then speakers.
And aftermarket amp is easy to add with the Technic Hi Fi Harness.
The standard one we used to use is the JL xd600/6.
The amp connector is a one throw switch.

If I was doing this now I would get one of the Helix amp/dsp's

Both Bimmertech and Bavsound are putting there name on these and reselling them.

Bimmertech uses the Helix 86 dsp/amp now
and Bavsound uses the Helix BMW 7.

The advantage of buying these from them is they come with a tune .
If you do not want to play with wiring and tuning this may be the easiest
way to go.
Bavsound is 2ohm impedance. I thought about going aftermarket with the amp, but exactly as you said, I'd have to play with wiring (didn't know about the pre-tuned). Normally I'd be totally fine with wiring, I've done it dozens of times, but something about plug and play with the BMWs that I like. Keeps a more stock-ish nature of the vehicle.

I'll check out the cost difference, but cost isn't the deciding factor for me (in this case, anyways), so I may just go with the Bavsound amp.

Thanks for the info tho, you continue to educate me on BMW audio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335is, 2007 X3
As a retired artilleryman with tinnitus and about a 50% hearing loss (being fitted for a hearing aid next month) I'm not sure I have any reason to try and improve my sound system, but appreciate the write-up. One of those that can be linked to in the future for those that want to work the same issue.

BMW 335is, Cobb tune with VRSF intercooler, Injen CAI, and BMS downpipes. 382/414 rwhp/tq. Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
with tinnitus and about a 50% hearing loss (being fitted for a hearing aid next month) I'm not sure I have any reason to try and improve my sound system
Sorry to hear. I thankfully don't have tinnitus, but I don't have the hearing sensitivity that the average person does (I don't think I "lost" it, which is why I don't call it hearing "loss"), hence the need to turn volume up louder than most probably would on a normal day.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:13 PM

With the kind of harness they have(bimmertech/bacsound) its as simple as throwing a lever
and plugging in the connector then throwing the lever in the other direction.

If you do this yourself with a Technic Wire harness it still is no more difficult than
setting up a Home Entertainment system with the exception of running some
real DC power wires to the Battery with a fuse.
I believe both the kits from Bavsound and Bimmertech bypass this step to make
it more plug and play .
Also if you deciede to do this tell them which speakers you have as they have DSP tunes
for stock and aftermarket speakers.

The tune is for the DSP it's something you can do for yourself if you like doing
that sort of thing.

Check the Helix/Match audio tech site

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...fiers/pp-86dsp

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7bmw

Last edited by ctuna; 05-15-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto:
For those not wanting to spend $$...

I determined that 5 of my speakers had the distortion issue. After removing one and studying it, it became apparent that the reason there is distortion is that the glue which bonds the 'spider" to the coil was brittle and had separated on each and every speaker with an issue. Simple and judicious use of a hot glue gun solved this. Takes some effort but it is more or less a free fix.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
With the kind of harness they have(bimmertech/bacsound) its as simple as throwing a lever
and plugging in the connector then throwing the lever in the other direction.

If you do this yourself with a Technic Wire harness it still is no more difficult than
setting up a Home Entertainment system with the exception of running some
real DC power wires to the Battery with a fuse.
I believe both the kits from Bavsound and Bimmertech bypass this step to make
it more plug and play .
Also if you deciede to do this tell them which speakers you have as they have DSP tunes
for stock and aftermarket speakers.

The tune is for the DSP it's something you can do for yourself if you like doing
that sort of thing.

Check the Helix/Match audio tech site

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...fiers/pp-86dsp

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7bmw
Hrmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: AUDI A4 3.0 B6
For all the money they charge it should be a lifetime warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCrazy View Post
For all the money they charge it should be a lifetime warranty
I figured this kind of comment would eventually come up. They are not the cheapest speakers on the planet, no, not at all. That being said, as a direct OE replacement that requires zero splicing, zero drilling, zero anything, they are unmatched.

While cost certainly matters and is always a factor, the difference from $250.00 to $450.00 (to me) is negligible, and I personally feel a vehicle that originally cost $60K is worth the investment. In my opinion, the quality, OE replacement-ness and excellent backend vendor support are well worth the extra dollars. That being said, I do realize that everyone will have their own opinion on this, so I'll leave it at that. There ARE cheaper ways to do this, and to each their own.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: AUDI A4 3.0 B6
Agreed @ Yukoner . But quality and endurance should be expected. Not just at the point of purchasing but years to come . Nothing last forever I know .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2019, 03:09 PM

actually there are quite a few company't puttng out plug and play speaker
kits for the e9x now. Jehnert , Audiotec Fisher Match , Mb quart, Rockford Fosgate
, Audio Systems, Gladen, Rainbow some other Euro brands I can't remember.
The sound system's that BMW puts in there cars now are pretty pathetic fior
a 50k plus out the door.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343673

Last edited by ctuna; 05-16-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
The sound system's that BMW puts in there cars now are pretty pathetic fior
a 50k plus out the door.
Completely agreed. I don't understand this at all - everything else is so well done and then this piece is completely neglected

Old 05-20-2019, 08:45 PM

It's not like there alone most car companys's don't put 0ut a good
stereo even the B& 0's and Bose are not that good. But the e46 Hk
system never made me wish I had that much more.

I don't like this trend of using a lot of small speakers and surround sound.
Hard to get much depth and presence from a 4 inch speaker.
Or sub 4 inch

Last edited by ctuna; 05-21-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
It's not like there alone most car companys's don't put 0ut a good
stereo even the B& 0's and Bose are not that good. But the e46 Hk
system never made me wish I had that much more.

I don't like this trend of using a lot of small speakers and surround sound.
Hard to get much depth and presence from a 4 inch speaker.
I had Bose in my Mazda RX8, and honestly it was a pretty good system. I wished it was a tad louder (in volume), but otherwise, it was great. Agreed though, the 10+ speakers these days are overkill.

Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

UPDATE - The system's been running, probably, 5 to 6 hours at this point. I've read this elsewhere but it's absolutely true: these speakers NEED to be warmed up / broken in. The sound was already amazing to begin with right when they were installed, but I have to say, they're almost twice as good now. I'm not a sciencey-audiophile, so maybe I'm using the wrong terminology here, but the clarity and sharpness got a lot better (maybe still getting better ? I don't know how long they take to really break in). I'm still unhappy with the max volume, but as I noted, going to need to swap the amplifier to get that fixed as it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the speakers themselves.

Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto:
Surprised no one else has commented on simply repairing the speakers like I did. It is basically a free fix other than your time and restores the sound back to as it should be.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search