07 530xi hiccup and misfire - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-19-2019, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi, white, auburn
07 530xi hiccup and misfire

Bought January 2019 with 238k miles. First BMW. After a couple of months, unless I "nursed" the accelerator, the car would misfire, then there would be a constant SES light and the computer seemed to shut off the offending coil pack(s) until the car was shut down and re-started. After that the car lacked power and misfired if the accelerator was depressed too far.

I did the "is-it-a-myth" throttle body reset (ignition on/engine off, floor the accelerator for a minute, shut off ignition and release the accelerator, wait a few minutes, start and drive) and it definitely is a "thing," it corrects the problem and the throttle response is phenomenal throughout full range of pedal movement, and after a couple of driving cycles the SES would go away, but it never lasts: anywhere from an hour to a week after the reset, there'll be a "hiccup" like a split-second kill switch, simultaneous with an SES light momentary flash, and after that, the misfire is back if the accelerator is pressed too far. If I allow it to misfire, the constant SES returns. Resetting the throttle body fixes it every time, but the problem always returns at some point. I plan on reinstalling/updating all the car software; hopefully it's not an intermittent wiring fault that'll be next to impossible to find. I also figure maybe wonky accelerator sensor or a bad throttle body.

ALSO: installed correct new Bosch plugs (problem existed with NGK's). No outstanding recalls, I had dealer take care of 2 (battery strap and PCV heater). New air filter, MAF sensor cleaned with proper cleaner, no intake leaks. Left and right new genuine BMW DISA valves. Previous owner owned for 3 months but was in a bind financially; the previous (original) owner was a doctor who maintained it immaculately; some expensive "expected" things had already been replaced: coolant tank, headlight assemblies, coil packs.

I am suspicious someone tried "coding" this car since the 2 really bad DISA valves (left disintegrating and almost ingested, right frozen open) were not generating any codes. I have a cable on order and am looking for a cheap used Windows laptop to run INPA etc. I also suspect the guy I bought it from may have been a "tinkerer" with more ambition than knowledge. Call it a hunch.

Yes I bought the Bentley book, and a useless Haynes book that turned out to be for diesels.

More info: 6-speed stick, alpine white with auburn ("cinnamon") comfort seat interior, IR night vision camera, comfort access, cold weather package including heated steering wheel, HUD, ambient lighting, Logic stereo, pro nav, Shadowline trim, active headlights, and fold down rear seats. Trunk was cleaner than most front seats; interior is immaculate except for driver side B-pillar seat belt rub. Zero rust anywhere including underbody, never hit as far as I can tell. The night vision camera lens was pitted to uselessness; I did a quick "grind-and-polish" and it sort of works now, will do it right at some point. TPM was generating an error due to dead senders, and constant "low washer" warning since someone used Rain-X; a jumper bypassing the washer sensor works for now. I'm a teacher and waiting for summer when I'll have time to go over this with a fine toothed comb.

Last edited by mcardlepm; 05-19-2019 at 06:54 AM. Reason: errata
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Until you can read the codes, you can only speculate. I have the same model and have not experienced those symptoms. Did the dealer clean the MAF? I would check the connector for the MAF since someone recently took it out. I don't have any direct experience with the MAF on BMWs, but it could easily cause engine running issues.
You don't necessarily need INPA to read the codes, especially the standard OBD codes that the government requires for emissions related equipment like MAFs, O2, etc.
Good luck
Fred
Old 05-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Thanks

Thanks anyway, but I double-checked the MAF connection more than once, and doubt the MAF would keep causing the throttle mapping issue; rough idle etc., yes. I had the BMW dealer check the codes when they did the recalls - only misfire codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 545i
Maybe I have missed it but re-read your post a couple of times. You changed plugs and cleaned air-mass but cannot see anywhere that you changed the coils. If I were you I would start there. Replace them all if needed. Can only improve things to have similar value coils.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:56 PM

Thanks, you missed it

Hello -

Thanks - coil packs were done a year before I bought the car (last words in paragraph 3); I've seen the receipt plus checked the manufacture date on the coils, and they're genuine BMW. (I've also checked all the connections, and the connections to the injectors as well.) Plus one bad coil would not cause the entire engine to stop for a split second as if a kill switch was hit, and remapping the throttle body wouldn't help even temporarily as it does, either.

In my research today I discovered I may have inadvertently ruined the throttle body - back when I did the second DISA valve and removed the manifold (and replaced the manifold seals), I cleaned the throttle body by pushing on the butterfly to spray throttle body cleaner through it (it had been really filthy with oil residue). I found it very easy to push the butterfly open, hearing the motor passively whir as I did it, and it closed by itself as if spring-loaded, over and over. Apparently you can permanently screw up a drive-by-wire throttle body by pushing on the butterfly - now I know... it makes sense, and a new VDO OEM one can be had for about $220, and though I'm not a fan of throwing random parts at something, it's still cheaper than either half a month's car payment, or a trip to the shop.

Last edited by mcardlepm; 05-19-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: errata
Old 05-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
I don't think the DISA would throw any codes hen they lose their vanes. The car can't know or detect that. Perhaps the car could detect a straining DISA motor, but not lack of vanes.
I'd be skeptical that a few manual openings of the throttle body would mess up the gearing/motor.
If you have a check engine light, you have some codes - you need to see those. While you should invest in a BMW aware code reader, even a generic reader and app will get a code if you have a CEL.
I use Carly and ISTA when I need to get deeper. I have the Carly adapter in my 2006 530xi 6MT glove box. Generic ELM adapters in all other family cars. Everyone has OBD Doctor on their phone.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 545i
You would be amazed on how funny a BMW can behave to anything electrical. I had the same symptoms though on a different model in the end a bad coil created the issue. You never know if the coil was bumped at installation creating an issue that would leave it running for a while before giving you grey hairs.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:01 PM

It's the crankshaft position sensor

Thanks to anyone who tried to help; it's the CPS. Not quite set up with an old laptop and INPA but today rec'd new Foxwell 510, cleared a bunch of misfire codes, did some active tests and then went for a drive. All was fine for half an hour, no codes, then the car bucked hard on the highway. Generated a 2A94 DME crankshaft position sensor signal code; no wonder I couldn't track it down. Also (coincidentally) a new 2EF5 DME Map thermostat activation code halfway home as well. Ordered both parts, guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Last edited by mcardlepm; 05-22-2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: omission

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
hiccup, misfire, reset, software, throttle body

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search