Speaker upgrade - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: e39 530i
Upgrading the amp is dead easy. Way easier than, say, changing out a head unit on any car.
It's all in the trunk, and easily accessible.

This so even on DSP units (which I got)
The way the DSP units work is that a fair amount of the DSP processing happens on chips in the DSP amp, so digital signals go back and forth to the mid.
But as soon as you cut the wires, the mid reverts to spitting out a standard analogue stereo signal. This is available in the trunk, and what you feed to the new amp.
Try it. Don't cut the wires, but just disconnect the big rectangular connector at the amp. Then turn the car on and look at your mid. Voila! (And, yes, you can just re-connect to go back.)
And it's night and day in terms of Sound Quality improvement- every bit as significant as changing out the front door speakers.

Depending on whether or not you got a ski bag, I figure adding a sub is actually a little bit more work. But also a big jump in SQ.

And the head unit is actually OK as far as SQ goes (Design and manufacture were sub-contracted to Alpine.) It's just very (Very!) dated in terms of features, I/O, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwe39528i View Post
As for head unit, there is not an option thay really works...to keep the stock look.[/url]
Yes there is !

Parrot Asteroid Smart;

Alpine iLX-700 (iLX-007 in the USA)

Alpine iLX-W650

Kenwood Excelon DMX706S

As you can see, it's possible to have excellent, high quality head units that are reliable and have the latest features and significantly better sound quality!

Cheers, Dennis!

Last edited by DennisCooper!; 07-09-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Here are a couple of options on Crutchfield. Make sure to check the depth as some of the items appear to be too deep even though the search results says they all fit my 5 series.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_462350...l?tp=72357&o=d

Also, some time ago I contacted Pioneer and explained the head unit challenges of the e39.

They wrote me back today and sent the following link to their DMH-C2500NEX

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...s/DMH-C2500NEX

"Pioneer's Modular Solutions receivers are designed for applications, often newer vehicles, with limited depth behind the dash that prohibits the installation of a traditional 1DIN or 2DIN receiver. This installation flexibility is achieved by physically separating the LCD touchscreen display from the sub-chassis that contains the CPU, control system, terrestrial radio tuner, amplifier and input/output connections. This allows the sub-chassis to be mounted in a different location* or different horizontal/vertical orientation within the vehicle."

* Sub-chassis remote installation may require either the RD-RGB150A or CD-RGB150E accessory, sold separately.
Conti Extreme Contact 06 DWS
HAWK Ceramic Performance brake pads
KONI FSD
DINAN Tune (+AFE dry air filter)
Dynavin N6 (NAV Unit) + Rearview Camera
BavSound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade + JL Wedge SubWoofer

Last edited by seemyad; 07-10-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
I am pretty happy with my upgrades to my stock NAV/DSP system, which include a powered sub in the trunk and a BT receiver connected to AUX. I will also be the first to buy the BlueBUS module when Ted is done with it to replace my OEM ULF voice only module and the BT/AUX. In terms of sound, I am an audiophile of sorts and my set-up works well for me. The sub makes a huge improvement and I can make my ears bleed if I want to. The DSP amp really is powerful.

That said, I have been on the edge of trying the BAVSound speakers for a while. Mostly for the front doors, the install does scare me a bit, especially the rear deck. Then there is all the sound proofing/sealing stuff to do behind the door card. It's sounds like a two-day project. I think if I could just buy the front door mids and tweeters I would. Most of the sound comes from here anyway.

Bluetooth audio is good enough for me. Even though mine is through an analog AUX, it sounds better than my CD changer and definitely sounds better than Sirius XM, which I have in the head unit of my other car and also through my phone in my E39.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2001 530i|745li|2007 750li|2006 750li|2001 530i|2012 535xi|
Old 07-11-2019, 08:28 AM
BMW ****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
I am pretty happy with my upgrades to my stock NAV/DSP system, which include a powered sub in the trunk and a BT receiver connected to AUX. I will also be the first to buy the BlueBUS module when Ted is done with it to replace my OEM ULF voice only module and the BT/AUX. In terms of sound, I am an audiophile of sorts and my set-up works well for me. The sub makes a huge improvement and I can make my ears bleed if I want to. The DSP amp really is powerful.

That said, I have been on the edge of trying the BAVSound speakers for a while. Mostly for the front doors, the install does scare me a bit, especially the rear deck. Then there is all the sound proofing/sealing stuff to do behind the door card. It's sounds like a two-day project. I think if I could just buy the front door mids and tweeters I would. Most of the sound comes from here anyway.

Bluetooth audio is good enough for me. Even though mine is through an analog AUX, it sounds better than my CD changer and definitely sounds better than Sirius XM, which I have in the head unit of my other car and also through my phone in my E39.
Hey Joe!

The rear speakers are the most challenging part of the install. Not mission impossible but you do have to remove more stuff to get to them. I installed the front speakers and paid a shop to install the rear speakers because I am lazy.

The door panels are fairly lightweight. However, they can be a little awkward to hold as you disconnect a couple of connectors. Make sure to buy a set of panel tools to pry the door panel off. They cost all of $10 or so. Once you get the panel aligned, it will snap right back on. I've removed my door panels a few times and they always snap right back into place. Just go one door at a time. Once you do one, it will become intuitive.

The inner door panels snap off fairly easily once you get the first one to break loose. Another awkward moment will be aligning the panel to properly seat on the window seal and around the lock button. You have to insert it at a slight angle to get it too fall back into place. The first time you do it may work in seconds, or may take a minute or two of maneuvering.

Sound dampening material isn't required, even though I did apply some. It seemed fairly useless afterward.

If you do the install, take photos of the connectors BEFORE removing them.

Buy replacement plastic mounting pins for the panel as one or two of the older ones will break due to age. No big deal. One of the connectors is not used but one of the speaker plugs will fit into it. This is where the pictures will come in handy. I had to remove the panel and move the connector to the correct slot. LOL

You may consider replacing the sound material inside of the door handle. It is a spongy material that is stuffed in the hole that the window (up/down) switch is connected too. I used the original material as I did not have any new material on hand (no big deal).

The door speakers and front tweeters take a couple of hours for first timers. I did the front doors and front tweets first.

You will notice an improvement.

BavSound Installation Video Instructions:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Installation PDF:
https://www.bavsound.com/files/guide...2013-v2-28.pdf
KONI FSD

Last edited by seemyad; 07-11-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: Two 2003 540i Msport's
If you go with Bavsound and have trouble installing them, you can hit me up for questions. Since I just installed them last weekend It's still fresh in my mind and I found a few pitfalls and errors in their installation videos.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemyad View Post
Hey Joe!

The rear speakers are the most challenging part of the install. Not mission impossible but you do have to remove more stuff to get to them. I installed the front speakers and paid a shop to install the rear speakers because I am lazy.

The door panels are fairly lightweight. However, they can be a little awkward to hold as you disconnect a couple of connectors. Make sure to buy a set of panel tools to pry the door panel off. They cost all of $10 or so. Once you get the panel aligned, it will snap right back on. I've removed my door panels a few times and they always snap right back into place. Just go one door at a time. Once you do one, it will become intuitive.

The inner door panels snap off fairly easily once you get the first one to break loose. Another awkward moment will be aligning the panel to properly seat on the window seal and around the lock button. You have to insert it at a slight angle to get it too fall back into place. The first time you do it may work in seconds, or may take a minute or two of maneuvering.

Sound dampening material isn't required, even though I did apply some. It seemed fairly useless afterward.

If you do the install, take photos of the connectors BEFORE removing them.

Buy replacement plastic mounting pins for the panel as one or two of the older ones will break due to age. No big deal. One of the connectors is not used but one of the speaker plugs will fit into it. This is where the pictures will come in handy. I had to remove the panel and move the connector to the correct slot. LOL

You may consider replacing the sound material inside of the door handle. It is a spongy material that is stuffed in the hole that the window (up/down) switch is connected too. I used the original material as I did not have any new material on hand (no big deal).

The door speakers and front tweeters take a couple of hours for first timers. I did the front doors and front tweets first.

You will notice an improvement.

BavSound Installation Video Instructions:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Installation PDF:

https://www.bavsound.com/files/guide...2013-v2-28.pdf

Hey there my good friend. Thanks so much for this. Very comprehensive as usual. Really appreciate all your guidance that you have given me, including finding my car for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2001 530i|745li|2007 750li|2006 750li|2001 530i|2012 535xi|
Old 07-12-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclaus4 View Post
If you go with Bavsound and have trouble installing them, you can hit me up for questions. Since I just installed them last weekend It's still fresh in my mind and I found a few pitfalls and errors in their installation videos.

Thank you! Be careful what you offer up, I can be an OCD PIA. I will definitely reach out if I pull the trigger. Iím happy with my acoustics but always wonder if replacing the speakers with BavSound will make a markedly improvement.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:27 AM
BMW ****ie

Hi Joe! You hit the forum running and have brought a lot to the Bimmerfest table since day 1.

Depending on your budget, Bavsound Stage 1 is worth the upgrade. It has been so long since I did it I can't remember the full difference as in percentage. I'll SWAG and say there was a 30 to 50 percent noticeable improvement. Please keep in mind that I installed a subwoofer several months (if not a year) before the Bavsound upgrade. So my percentage range of improvement is based on that.

That said, if your money can be better spent elsewhere you'll be okay as is. The difference isn't worth putting yourself in a financial bind or not funding other projects. If you have a few hundred dollars to invest strictly in personal enjoyment, the speaker upgrade won't disappoint you, especially if you spend a lot of time in your car.

I had some extra money one day and finally pulled the trigger. I think the subwoofer introduced the biggest improvement. The Bavsound took that improvement a bit further. The subwoofer is must-have and makes a massive difference in sound quality. The Bavsound upgrade is icing on the cake, but can wait until you are ready.

Don't expect a massive change (compared to the sub install), but the fidelity and richness improvement will definitely be noticeable.

BTW, I have my eye on this radio unit: JVC KW-M750BT

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWM...KW-M750BT.html

It is about 3 inches deep, which means there is no issue with fitment.
KONI FSD

Last edited by seemyad; 07-12-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemyad View Post
Hi Joe! You hit the forum running and have brought a lot to the Bimmerfest table since day 1.

Depending on your budget, Bavsound Stage 1 is worth the upgrade. It has been so long since I did it I can't remember the full difference as in percentage. I'll SWAG and say there was a 30 to 50 percent noticeable improvement. Please keep in mind that I installed a subwoofer several months (if not a year) before the Bavsound upgrade. So my percentage range of improvement is based on that.

That said, if your money can be better spent elsewhere you'll be okay as is. The difference isn't worth putting yourself in a financial bind or not funding other projects. If you have a few hundred dollars to invest strictly in personal enjoyment, the speaker upgrade won't disappoint you, especially if you spend a lot of time in your car.

I had some extra money one day and finally pulled the trigger. I think the subwoofer introduced the biggest improvement. The Bavsound took that improvement a bit further. The subwoofer is must-have and makes a massive difference in sound quality. The Bavsound upgrade is icing on the cake, but can wait until you are ready.

Don't expect a massive change (compared to the sub install), but the fidelity and richness improvement will definitely be noticeable.

BTW, I have my eye on this radio unit: JVC KW-M750BT

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWM...KW-M750BT.html

It is about 3 inches deep, which means there is no issue with fitment.

Thanks for the kind words. You took me to school on the sub upgrade and itís made a huge difference. So powerful and the punch knob comes in handy. I wasnít looking for a trunk rattler but boy does the Rockford rock. I probably could have got away with the 10Ē vs the 12Ē but as they say, bigger is better

That JVC looks sweet. Iím a big fan of Crutchfield. If you pull the trigger please share install pics and final pics. Those BMW look alike Chinese units sure seem sweet on paper for the money but just too many people with issues of them failing and poor support.

I definitely donít mind dropping a few hundred or so for the Bavís, just not fully committed to the install and whether itís worth my time and struggles over my current sound. If it sounded 10% better it would be fine, itís just the hassle. I have so much going on with a new house and a new puppy arriving next week.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonca View Post
Upgrading the amp is dead easy. Way easier than, say, changing out a head unit on any car.
It's all in the trunk, and easily accessible.

This so even on DSP units (which I got)
The way the DSP units work is that a fair amount of the DSP processing happens on chips in the DSP amp, so digital signals go back and forth to the mid.
But as soon as you cut the wires, the mid reverts to spitting out a standard analogue stereo signal. This is available in the trunk, and what you feed to the new amp.
Try it. Don't cut the wires, but just disconnect the big rectangular connector at the amp. Then turn the car on and look at your mid. Voila! (And, yes, you can just re-connect to go back.)
And it's night and day in terms of Sound Quality improvement- every bit as significant as changing out the front door speakers.

Depending on whether or not you got a ski bag, I figure adding a sub is actually a little bit more work. But also a big jump in SQ.

And the head unit is actually OK as far as SQ goes (Design and manufacture were sub-contracted to Alpine.) It's just very (Very!) dated in terms of features, I/O, etc.
Sorry for a noob question, which wire should I disconnect?
And you said changing the amplifier is dead easy. Do I just remove the old one, put in the new one, connect wires back and that's it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_140411_1563999753102.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	859155  
Old 07-24-2019, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto:
Dennis, those pictures you posted...I googled the units, and it's only the screen that is being sold, correct?
Where do you get the bezel and the frame with buttons and knobs?
Do you have to somehow put this screen into the original double din head unit? (Mine is just a cassette).
Will the buttons and knobs be functional?
Everything I read on upgrading E39 DSP headunit, people said the options were limited and that's why Dynavin exists.
Your pictures look sweet! Very OEM-like and modern at the same time.
I'm a bit confused why would people buy Dynavin (Chinese quality with no support) if they can buy these high quality units for the same price or less?
Old 07-25-2019, 11:44 AM

Hi BMWe39528i,

Each of those head unit's are ones manufactured and sold by those brands for car owners who wish to improve and upgrade their car audio with a high quality, reliable and excellent performing head unit, so it's not 'just the screen' - it's the complete head unit.

The bezel you see is a solution that I designed, manufacture and sell for E39 owners who want to keep the OEM/Stock look but also have a high quality / reliable head unit. I designed it to be at OEM levels of quality & grade. If you'd like to read more about it, have a look here; https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/13564...le-din-fascia/

The reason E39 owners buy the chinese units is that they are all that's available in the aftermarket that 'fit' the E39 dash area. Only recently, are some of the unit's much more OEM looking and that factor has the 'most' importance. Everything else is low quality and thus, why issues/problems occur, failures and poor performance etc and owners pay between $250-1200 dollars! Now, it's best of both worlds, a high quality head unit and a high quality fascia/fitting kit

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto:
Dennis your solution is so innovative that it took me a while to wrap my head around it lol! And I'm still trying to figure out a couple of things.
You should create a sticky on this forum cuz you talk about it so casually like everyone is aware and doing it. In all the threads I read about upgrading head units, I have never seen it being mentioned. I think people would love your solution.
I see you only started selling at the very end of 2018, so the word probably didnt get around yet.
I think it's a good proposition. The cover is around $300 and 400-500 for the head unit and you get good quality oem looking screen while Dynavin is $700 and it's not as good.
The only downside is that all the buttons in your frame dont connect to the head unit and you cannot use the knob to adjust volume etc.
Now all the DSP compatible units on crutchfielf already have bezel/covers and knobs (https://www.crutchfield.ca/g_168550/...Receivers.html)
You should do some kind of a video tutorial Not exactly clear how your bezel attaches to the units on crutchfield. Maybe a compatibility list beyond the models you mentioned with DSP / Non DSP stereos.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Sorry for a noob question, which wire should I disconnect?
And you said changing the amplifier is dead easy. Do I just remove the old one, put in the new one, connect wires back and that's it?
Sorry for the delay. Summer.

Basically you've got it. Couple hitches-you got at least 10 speakers in the car, maybe 12, and generally you're going to have at most a 5 channel amp. That's pretty easy to deal with, but it takes a bit of planning, and exactly how depends on what you want to end up with.

I'll happily walk you through amp replacement, but to save myself some work, I have a few questions first.
What year and model have you got? DSP pkg? (And that's really the only setup I know well.)

'Noob' means? Have you replaced a head unit before? How comfortable are you with cutting and re-connecting wiring? (And I don't mean to be condescending here- you could well be more comfortable than me (not all that hard.) It's just useful for me to know, and may spare you some tedious detail.)

Have you already upgraded your front door speakers? 5.25 and 1" (Recommended.) Did you use BSW or a different brand? If a different brand, did you save the crossover units? (If not, or you used BSW, you'll need some.)

Are you eventually going to put in a sub? (Recommended.)

Do you like having rear speakers? (I do, but lots don't.)

New amp or used? Can you afford to go 5 channel? (Also recommended.)

Do you have a wiring diagram that is correct for your car? There are a whole bunch of e39 stereo wiring connection diagrams out there. (If you PM me, I can send you a few.) The way to tell isn't by the heading on the diagram. Instead, take it out to your car and cross-check all the colours match. Generally the wires are also matched up to a connector (usually specified) so you can use that to cross-check. You can also use size (the power and ground wires will be bigger.)

As for 'which wire' it's not a wire, but a connector. On a DSP system (which I think you have) you want to pull out the whole connector with the big (power, ground) wires going into it. With the key off, of course) That will make your amp invisible to your mid, and allow you to check that your mid will revert to analogue operation.

Last edited by maroonca; 08-21-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: errors
Old 08-21-2019, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 528i
Ehm, I do not understand the dead easy part, especially if you have dsp because then the crossovers are incorporated in the amp, as far as I know....hifi system is another story yes.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:13 AM

So my pathway was a little more convoluted than a straight up amp replacement, mainly because I am a huge fan of audio processors (we all have our quirks***8230 and included one in my setup that had 8 channels of output (JBL MS8) along with my separate amp. I am also a fan of the BMW mid speakers and wanted a solution that would integrate them. (They're hard to replace Ė size, placement- and 8ohms to boot.)

But when I say it's dead easy, it is. And I'm not saying that because of any vast wealth of car audio experience. I'm no more experienced than most. It's just pretty simple. And, you don't have to be peering into a hole in the dash (or crawling under it) with a flashlight to see what you're doing. You can pull a chair up to your trunk and everything's right there. And there's a ton of forums and resources.

So, in broad brush strokes, here's what you do. (And do bear in mind, my own system was DSP, and I know what I'm saying will work for that. You need to do a bit of cross-checking if you've got anything else. Note that DSP simply goes away with a new amp.)

- Find the correct wiring map for your car and system. Cross-check against your actual wiring.
- Upgrade your front door speakers with a 5.25" mid bass / 1" tweeter combo set, including crossovers. Readily available. (Note that the BSW set does not include crossovers.)
- Pull the big plug going into your e39 amp and check that your mid (if it's DSP) will revert to analogue operation.
- Get an amp. New or used. 5 channel if you want to both use your rear deck speakers and make provision for a sub, with no muss, no fuss.

Your channel assignments will be:
Ch1- LF door; Ch2- RF door; Ch 3- LR deck; Ch 4- RR deck; Ch 5- Sub
Each front door has 3 speakers. Don't use the mid. Use the crossovers that came with your combo 5.25/1" purchase to separate the frequencies. (!) (It'll be designed for those speakers, too.)
Don't use the read door speakers. (Ick, anyway.)
If/when you replace the rear deck speakers, use full range co-axials.
If you don't use the rear deck speakers, get a 4 channel amp and use 2 channels (preferably bridged, if you can) for a sub.
If you only have a 4 channel amp, keep the channel assignment, and integrate another set of 2 way crossovers to separate out your sub frequencies. Put these before your mid bass/tweeter ones. Or get 3 way crossovers.

Run new power/ground wires. Battery is right there; use an adequate wire size/fuse for your new amp. (Run new sub wires, too, if needed.)

The stock BMW amps come mounted on a plate that bolts into the car. Get one in advance from a wrecker ($5 or so) and pre mount your setup (amp, crossovers and channel strips) on it. Pre wire everything between your amp inputs to your channel strip or crossover outputs. Install is bolting the whole plate in, and hooking up the wires, same as any head unit.

Tips:
Put your crossovers in the trunk. If you use the above setup, you only need one set.
Use channel strips. Label them.
Solder all your connections. Tin your wires. (I know- I'm awful at it, too. Persevere.)
I had a small powered speaker, which I used for troubleshooting. Great help.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi Maroonca, I hope you had a great summer!
My car is 1998 528i, it does have DSP. I have no clue if it has hifi.
Noob means I don't understand most of the lingo here, such as: tweeters, channels, crossover etc. All these are mambo jumbo to me haha! Much less do I understand how they work together. But I will look into it when I decide on the head unit.
I'm planning on keeping this car at least for 10 years, maybe 20, I really like it. So I will be upgrading the sound system but before I do, I wanna figure out what I want exactly. 99% of the time I'm driving it myself, and from what I read, there is no point having rear speakers in my situation. It won't improve my experience.
In terms of cutting and connecting wires, I have 0 qualms. Super simple.
No I have not upgraded my speakers to Bavsound yet. I really wanted to buy a good head unit from pioneer, kenwood etc and then use it with Denniscooper's bezel to integrate it in my car.
So I'm holding off on the speakers and everything else for now. I wanna get the head unit down first. I went on chesterfield website to buy a good unit and ran into a problem. They don't have a unit compatible with my car that has video support.
Basically I play all of my music from Youtube because I like watching nice videos and I can play any song I want. I cannot sit at home, download songs for hours, put them on the USB stick, and then 2 days later, I'm tired of that music. Or a new song comes out and I have to go download it, bring the USB home, reconnect it and add music. And I cannot stand wires so I don't want to be connecting my phone to any wires. I even added a fast wireless charging to my car and simply put my phone down and it charges. No wires.
I tried Spotify for 2 years and didn't really like it. YouTube has awesome videos and I love it. And I can play any song I want. There are a few channels that I'm subscribed to that regularly upload the exact type of music that I like
So I'm kinda stuck at the moment and that's why I haven't done much and been working on other projects instead. I talked to technical support on Chesterfield website and they said they didn't have a unit I was looking for. I wanted a unit to be able to connect to my phone wirelessly so that I could play YouTube videos on my phone and for them to be transmitted with video on the head unit monitor. I don't know when I will find this solution for my car.
I thought of going with https://www.bluebus.dev/ in the meantime, but the released date has been pushed back from May/June to at least September/October and I won't be surprised if it gets delayed.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM

There's a reason you can't find what you want in a head unit. This is because the constantly flickering images of YouTube videos or any moving pictures in the middle of a dashboard when you're driving are a horrible distraction. They're a clear and present danger, not just to yourself, but to everyone around you. They're an accident waiting to happen. I also suspect they're illegal, and certainly hope so.

So I don't think you're ever going to find what you want. The best you can do is evaluate your alternatives.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto:
Oh I didnt mean driving and watching videos. Just something like this

Kinda nice having a cool background that changes when you chance the tracklist
Old 08-23-2019, 02:28 PM

Good!

And I know the units are made with the capacity to show movies.
But you get stopped in lots of states by a cop having a bad day you may have some fancy talking to do, even to justify having one, never mind using it.
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/video-screens/

As for the rest, really, if you don't know the difference between woofers and tweeters, I wouldn't recommend you take on amp replacement. You're just gonna end up in a world of hurt. Get a head unit installed for you by a good dealer (some even come with internal amps), maybe take on speaker replacement- which is pretty simple, and start learning all the other stuff you're gonna need to know to maintain the car.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Dennis your solution is so innovative that it took me a while to wrap my head around it lol! And I'm still trying to figure out a couple of things.
You should create a sticky on this forum cuz you talk about it so casually like everyone is aware and doing it. In all the threads I read about upgrading head units, I have never seen it being mentioned. I think people would love your solution.
I see you only started selling at the very end of 2018, so the word probably didnt get around yet.
I think it's a good proposition. The cover is around $300 and 400-500 for the head unit and you get good quality oem looking screen while Dynavin is $700 and it's not as good.
The only downside is that all the buttons in your frame dont connect to the head unit and you cannot use the knob to adjust volume etc.
Now all the DSP compatible units on crutchfielf already have bezel/covers and knobs (https://www.crutchfield.ca/g_168550/...Receivers.html)
You should do some kind of a video tutorial Not exactly clear how your bezel attaches to the units on crutchfield. Maybe a compatibility list beyond the models you mentioned with DSP / Non DSP stereos.
Hi,

Sorry for the longer time to respond!

I can't create a sticky or try to sell directly as I'm not a forum sponsor - it'd be against the rules to try that. I'm not sure how much sponsorship costs on this site, but i'll find out in due course. I'm working on having a website made currently and it'll showcase the NXG-39 and more of my concept products I'm designing to create and manufacture

A photographic and video overview will be made and put on the website and in the meantime, it's not too difficult to work out how to fit a head unit to the NXG-39 and then install the combo into the dash area. Holes would need to be drilled, four to affix to the existing holes in the dash trim and depending on which head unit is chosen, I'd say at least 2, ideally 4 to hold the head unit within the inner fixing panels.

The reason I've not connected the buttons to a head unit is that is massively increases the cost - each model of head unit from each brand I'd need to reverse engineer and work out which IC's on the PCB's control which function and then interface to the buttons. It's a bit pointless too as if you reach to adjust volume on the head unit, it's the same as if to press a button or turn the rotary knob. I could get the rotary knob aspect included and it'd connect to perhaps a remote bass level controller that connects to an amplifier, it'd mean increased costs as another PCB and more components would be required. For the enthusiast with the capabilities, I did design the PCB so that each key press is detectable, so a hobbyist with some electronics knowledge could make an interface PCB if they so wanted.

I can't control manufacturers of double DIN head units to conform to one set of dimensions for the 'nose' of their head units to fit through the aperture on the NXG-39. There's some variance here, also some of the 7 inch head units 'might' have a 'nose' that's maybe 1/2/3 mm larger and so some gentle filing (a hand file) could be done to make a little extra clearance.

The Alpine iLX-W650 is $295 USD so that combined with the NXG-39 as you see in the pictures above is a similar price to the Dynavin/Avin units - so a substantially superior quality solution for around the same money.

Thanks for the kind words as well! There's more products in the pipeline too

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 09-04-2019, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks Dennis, I get it now.
Only problem with iLX-W650 and similar units, is that they can't play video from the phone.
And I'm not talking about driving and watching movies. Even stationary, they can't do it wirelessly. They don't have that technology. That's what Crutchfield told me. I think I just assumed the technology was there by now.
I'm now leaning toward chinese units with integrated tablets. I know quality won't be as good as alpine, kenwood etc. and there won't be much support but I figure they will suit my needs best.
https://avinusa.com/10-25-multimedia...801025e39.html

Dasaita looks nice as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190904_135417_1567627032396.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	863489  
Old 09-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Officially Festered

Mein Auto: '05 325iT '99 528i
In 1999 I paid $1200 for the DSP option upgrade.

I recently upgraded to the Bavsound Stage 1 Speaker Kit and it sounded good until I turned up any songs with any extra bass. It would sound like the stock DSP subwoofer was rattling, so I removed it expecting to find something old and broken. I removed the cover for the sub enclosure and everything looked like new. Then I just carefully tightened the screws holding in the two sub speakers and every other screw and fastener on the enclosure. Also on the underside of the rear deck.

It really sounds great now and the Bavsound upgrade was well worth it in my opinion.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for sharing Don.
You kept this car for 20 years??
Wow, it's quite an achievement. Like an anniversary ***x1f642;
Anything major you had to do during this time?
I think Bavsound is the easiest upgrade. I'm glad people like it.
I'm still figuring out my head unit, very indecisive lol or rather too many things I want.
I'm now thinking of getting a better head unit with AUX and then simply plugging a tablet into the AUX. I want 9 inch tablet to cover the whole area. I really like how the chinese made it such a perfect fit.
But I don't trust their hardware/software.

I've only found one thread where someone integrated a tablet and it looks very OEM
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=593842
I just find the screen to small and there is leftover space that I think is being wasted.
Now if only I could get the mounting hardware for a 9 inch tablet...
Maybe Dennis will make one soon ***x1f642;

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search