F80 wild and unwieldly?? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto:
F80 wild and unwieldly??

Hi everyone, i've owned a F80 M3 in tanzanite blue for 3 years now. To this day the car scares me when pushed hard and I find it unwieldly (hard to handle) when driven hard. Despite being fast and handles sharply, It feels on edge when driven hard. it doesnt feel natural and not so confidence inspiring, very unlike older gen bimmers. The suspension especially feels bouncy at high speed, like the car wants to skip and steering feels weird. Ive driven older m3s and porsches and I feel a lot more connected in those cars. The M3 is indeed a handful and very challenging to drive hard, but i think it can very a very potent machine if you know how to handle it. Maybe i need to take it to the track to become more acquainted with it? Any owners who share this feeling or anyone with knowledge care to comment about this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 12:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Tardis
Quote:
Originally Posted by saszayed View Post
Hi everyone, i've owned a F80 M3 in tanzanite blue for 3 years now. To this day the car scares me when pushed hard and I find it unwieldly (hard to handle) when driven hard. Despite being fast and handles sharply, It feels on edge when driven hard. it doesnt feel natural and not so confidence inspiring, very unlike older gen bimmers. The suspension especially feels bouncy at high speed, like the car wants to skip and steering feels weird. Ive driven older m3s and porsches and I feel a lot more connected in those cars. The M3 is indeed a handful and very challenging to drive hard, but i think it can very a very potent machine if you know how to handle it. Maybe i need to take it to the track to become more acquainted with it? Any owners who share this feeling or anyone with knowledge care to comment about this? Thanks.
Hey,

Yup! Been there!!

* Get the Firmware updated - Not past: F020-18-11-551, If at all possible!
If you (Dealer) have to go beyond that version, skip it!

* Post update, get the car Flash/Coded for "GTS Steering". "Suspension(EDC)" & "Differential".

* Get a good 4 Wheel Alignment.

Cheers!

Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
Quote:
Hey,

Yup! Been there!!

* Get the Firmware updated - Not past: F020-18-11-551, If at all possible!
If you (Dealer) have to go beyond that version, skip it!

* Post update, get the car Flash/Coded for "GTS Steering". "Suspension(EDC)" & "Differential".

* Get a good 4 Wheel Alignment.

Cheers!

Thanks, but can you please elaborate on the second point...what will the edc suspension do and what will differential flash do? Also where do I get this done? the stealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 12:54 PM

Ok.,

Our cars (gen.) are delivered to us as if we're "beta testers". The firmware is constantly being updated during it's lifespan
as problems are found (i.e.: steering --> to the right) and fixes are developed.

Early model F8x's came with an improperly calibrated suspension.
It was soft in the wrong places. There was either too much sway/body roll and/or diving in inopportune moments.

Beyond the firmware, specific models have to be differentiated somehow (to justify increased cost). The "CS" version is
one up above the Comp. Pkg. and the same goes for the "GTS", above the "CS", albeit with a slightly different focus for
each.

* Steering
* "EDC" - Suspension
* Differential

All function together dynamically to get all the cars' power to the ground. Problem being, out of the box, specially on
earlier (firmware) models, all of the above could be better.

Our cars have enough power & torque. The only issue is the proper and efficient delivery of these for our particular
driving - be it DD or track - requirements.

The Firmware is best updated at the dealer, but be aware you have to come in with a specific ailment
("steering pulling to the right chronically") or they will either not do it or charge you for it.

Take note of what I wrote you previously regarding the firmware versions.

[email protected](mss) - Coder/Tuner can (remotely) do:

* GTS Steering (This will tighten all up and make it more precise)
* GTS DCT calibration (Quicker shifts - if yours is a DCT)
* CS EDC (again, "Precise" but, not too stiff)
* GTS Differential (Reduce sway and or slippage)

Once again, do the Firmware before the coding. The other way around, it may all get erased!

Cheers!

Old 06-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
Ok.,

Our cars (gen.) are delivered to us as if we're "beta testers". The firmware is constantly being updated during it's lifespan
as problems are found (i.e.: steering --> to the right) and fixes are developed.

Early model F8x's came with an improperly calibrated suspension.
It was soft in the wrong places. There was either too much sway/body roll and/or diving in inopportune moments.

Beyond the firmware, specific models have to be differentiated somehow (to justify increased cost). The "CS" version is
one up above the Comp. Pkg. and the same goes for the "GTS", above the "CS", albeit with a slightly different focus for
each.

* Steering
* "EDC" - Suspension
* Differential

All function together dynamically to get all the cars' power to the ground. Problem being, out of the box, specially on
earlier (firmware) models, all of the above could be better.

Our cars have enough power & torque. The only issue is the proper and efficient delivery of these for our particular
driving - be it DD or track - requirements.

The Firmware is best updated at the dealer, but be aware you have to come in with a specific ailment
("steering pulling to the right chronically") or they will either not do it or charge you for it.

Take note of what I wrote you previously regarding the firmware versions.

[email protected](mss) - Coder/Tuner can (remotely) do:

* GTS Steering (This will tighten all up and make it more precise)
* GTS DCT calibration (Quicker shifts - if yours is a DCT)
* CS EDC (again, "Precise" but, not too stiff)
* GTS Differential (Reduce sway and or slippage)

Once again, do the Firmware before the coding. The other way around, it may all get erased!

Cheers!

man i shouldnt have to go through all this trouble in a $90k plus car...M car means a perfectly tuned car,,, all this competition package CS gts bull**** is just bmw taking us for a ride...this will be my 3rd and last bmw, tired of this bull****. the car is flawed period. im not gna bother, probably will keep it for another year treat itblike the **** it deserves then trade it in for a porsche...at least with porsche what u see is what u get. BMW...****in crooks.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
man i shouldnt have to go through all this trouble in a $90k plus car...M car means a perfectly tuned car,,, all this competition package CS gts bull**** is just bmw taking us for a ride...this will be my 3rd and last bmw, tired of this bull****. the car is flawed period. im not gna bother, probably will keep it for another year treat itblike the **** it deserves then trade it in for a porsche...at least with porsche what u see is what u get. BMW...****in crooks.
Hey,

I hear you!

There just so much more customization that can be done via coding with the BMW Vs. the Porsche

And, as far as purchasing, New - "Individual" is definitely Not as expensive as, "Exclusive".

Plus , BMW most assuredly always underreports there Hp ratings. Mine is @404 WHp., whereas a good
number seem to be above (+- 424 WHp.) this - Stock!

Cheers!

Last edited by Dr. Who; 06-24-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:48 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Lol

Sure. We'll miss you....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 09-07-2019, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto:
Major update: Put a new set of Michelin pilot sport 4S, with 285 rears instead of the standard 275. Previously had continental sport contact 5. Also got a 4 wheel alignment done. Let me just say that the difference is night and day, car grips so well and accelerated like hell, traction control rarely kicks in, steering feel improved, and handling much better and more predictable. My bad for dissing BMW earlier, but they are still at fault for putting poorly suited tires on the car to begin with! Had they kept the pilot super sports that came on the demo car, there would have been no issues! but instead they surprised me with these crappy continentals on delivery! Anyway cars is fine now, handles like it should, with some minor suspension issues remaining (needs tuning). but at least car doesnt feel like it wants to hop and skip everytime i drive it hard! never thought that tires could make such a bug difference.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n20 tunerwerks
What did your alignment report say? You did not say if your car is stock, and what year it was.

The S55 engine is tuned to deliver tons of torque from the getgo. It's easy to overwhelm those stock tires (Conti AND Michelin) due to all that power. This is quite different from older M cars where the power is high up.

I have no issues with Continental tires... I get wheel spin at 3rd gear but if it gets out of control it's probably because I was not being careful with it.

Last edited by poker838; 09-17-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto:
My car is a 2016 model with a vf engineering stage 1 map (+60 wheel hp), but ive had traction issues way before the power increase. Car should have come with the right tires, they should put tires to match the torque. As for alignment yes, it was off in the front left and rear right by a a lot the technician said. I think its from all the speed bumps and potholes ive hit over the last 3 years despite how careful i am.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto:
And by the way, i bought the car based on my positive experience with the demo car, which had michelin pilot super sport, but my car came with inferior continentals.

QUOTE=poker838;13108469]What did your alignment report say? You did not say if your car is stock, and what year it was.

The S55 engine is tuned to deliver tons of torque from the getgo. It's easy to overwhelm those stock tires (Conti AND Michelin) due to all that power. This is quite different from older M cars where the power is high up.

I have no issues with Continental tires... I get wheel spin at 3rd gear but if it gets out of control it's probably because I was not being careful with it.[/QUOTE]

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search