HPFP recall question - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Britneyizer Britneyizer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 15
Mein Auto:
HPFP recall question

Dumb questionJust wondering why the HPFP was failing. Was it completely shutting off the fuel flow or was it sticking open and flooding the engine?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,133
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britneyizer View Post
Dumb questionJust wondering why the HPFP was failing. Was it completely shutting off the fuel flow or was it sticking open and flooding the engine?
First, we have to know if you even have an HPFP - only the 335i did (if you have a 328i you don't have one to fail.)
Second, they don't "stick open". They fail and don't presurize the "fuel rail" that leads to the injectors. (Which could be said to "shut off fuel flow".)

In either case, the "recall" for them has been completed for several years, so if you have a failing Low Pressure fuel pump or HPFP, it's not covered by any "warranty" and you'll have to pay to get it fixed, if that's what is broken. (Is anything broken?)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 PM
Britneyizer Britneyizer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 15
Mein Auto:
I do have a 2008 335xi. I'm having problems starting it if it sits for more than 4 hours without being driven. There are not any codes and the check engine light doesn't come on. It seems to flood if I start it from a cold start. I can smell gas anyway. I was thinking the HPFP may be over pumping fuel and drenching the plugs. My 1st plan is to change the plugs and coil packs and see if that helps.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:13 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,133
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britneyizer View Post
I do have a 2008 335xi. I'm having problems starting it if it sits for more than 4 hours without being driven. There are not any codes and the check engine light doesn't come on. It seems to flood if I start it from a cold start. I can smell gas anyway. I was thinking the HPFP may be over pumping fuel and drenching the plugs. My 1st plan is to change the plugs and coil packs and see if that helps.
Why replace the coil packs? They don't go bad very often, are expensive, generally set an SES code if they do. Waste of $, especially if you're tracking a fuel problem.

Check your pressure relief valve on the fuel rail - seems like you're leaking down when you shouldn't. Or perhaps you have a slight leak somewhere in the rail assembly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is offline
Breaking in the Pony
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,109
Mein Auto: 19 Mustang GT / 05 Tacoma
The most common symptom of an HPFP failure was long cranks at startup, as a result of inadequate flow at start. I believe there may have been some limp mode situations due to inadequate / low pressure flow as well. I don't recall any "dead" HPFP failures, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen. Codes to look for include 29DC, 29F1, 29F2, and 2FBF.

The biggest solution was for BMW to reprogram the car's ECU so that the pump primes when the car wakes up, rather than when you first press start. There should be a (yellow?) sticker in the driver's door opening showing that the recall was performed.
__________________


Prior 44 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92 / 2015 BMW M235xi xDrive F22

Last edited by Zooks527; 07-12-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:45 PM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,133
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
The most common symptom of an HPFP failure was long cranks at startup, as a result of inadequate flow at start. I believe there may have been some limp mode situations due to inadequate / low pressure flow as well. I don't recall any "dead" HPFP failures, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen. Codes to look for include 29DC, 29F1, 29F2, and 2FBF.

The biggest solution was for BMW to reprogram the car's ECU so that the Low Pressurepump primes when the car wakes up, rather than when you first press start. There should be a (yellow?) sticker in the driver's door opening showing that the recall was performed.
Zooks' post has more info than I presented regarding HPFP failures.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.