Pending P1553 when engine is warm and it shuts off - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto:
Pending P1553 when engine is warm and it shuts off

I have a 2006 bmw 325i automatic with an N52 engine. I bought this car to fix it up and have gotten rid of many codes. I have replaced these parts:
Valvetronic solenoids
Camshaft position sensor
Crankshaft position sensor
Check control valves.
And I have checked the valvetronic motor and it is okay.
I have cleaned the carbon build up from the motor and done 2 oil changes in less than 200 miles. And I am only left with one code p1553. The car will sit at idle until it gets to normal operating temperature and then it will cut out and stall, leaving me with p1553 in a pending status and not as a hard code. I will reset it and the car fires right back up until the code comes right back and it shuts off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeltcm View Post
...2006 325i N52 engine...I have replaced these parts:
Valvetronic solenoids
Camshaft position sensor
Crankshaft position sensor
Check control valves.
And I have checked the valvetronic motor and it is okay.
I have cleaned the carbon build up from the motor and done 2 oil changes in less than 200 miles. And I am only left with one code p1553. The car will sit at idle until it gets to normal operating temperature and then it will cut out and stall, leaving me with p1553 in a pending status and not as a hard code. I will reset it and the car fires right back up until the code comes right back and it shuts off.
Hope you kept all the parts you removed, particularly those "Valvetronic solenoids."
NOT sure what you are referencing when you say "Check control valves" either (?)
NOT trying to give you a hard time about that, as a LOT of people don't understand the difference in function between Valvetronic & VANOS. If new to those systems, I would suggest reading Bentley (or TIS) for overview of functions. Searchable PDF download of Bentley is linked in the attached "E9x References."

You say you replaced "Camshaft Position Sensor" -- which Cam: Intake or Exhaust?
My interpretation of that P1553 Code, coupled with shutdown when it occurs, is that you have an intermittent, heat-related, fault in the Connector or associated wiring for the Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor, or the sensor itself. Here is the Bentley Definition of P1553:
P1553 | 2A99 | Engine Position System 'B' Performance (Bank 1)
In this case, System 'B' is Exhaust vs. Intake Cam, and since a straight-6, only 1 Bank. In other cases, such as O2 Sensors, Bank 1 would be cyl 1,2,3.

The DME cannot time the Ignition or injector pulses if it does NOT know which of the "strokes" the pistons are on, and Crankshaft Position Sensor ALONE wll NOT provide that (it needs Camshaft Position Sensor signal -- camshaft turns once per two crank revolutions).

Rather than throw parts, I would begin by separating, inspecting & cleaning (with Electronic Contact Cleaner) the Connector for the Exhaust Camshaft Sensor, and if the issue recurs, then remove the Exhaust Camshaft Sensor, inspect the sensor end carefully for damage, and swap in the sensor you removed to see if the SAME symptoms continue, or perhaps even swap Intake/Exhaust to see if fault follows (becomes P1554 for Intake Cam Performance). Here is TIS circuit diagram for "Valve Gear" (Cam Sensors & Vanos Solenoid wiring) if you need to test wiring electrically with multimeter:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...sensor/hxCHGvd

I would be interested to know what Fault Codes, Performance Issues, or Diagnostic Tests caused you to replace the sensors you list above. I would also be interested to know what condition or concern caused you to change oil TWICE in 200 miles. "Carbon buildup" should NOT affect oil, and putting a Techron product in the gas will clean Intake valves & a few "Italian Tuneups" (forays to 6,000 RPM @ WOT in 1st & 2nd) will probably produce a cloud in the rear view mirror. Was there "sludge" in the engine (evident when shining light into oil filler cap on top of Valve Cover? When you drained the oil, did you strain it to see if any debris of any kind (such as belt shreds) was suspended in the oil?

Thanks,
George
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by gbalthrop; 08-14-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto:
George,
I replaced the oil the first time because it was very dark and I strained it but there was nothing in it. I also took the oil pan down and cleaned it, there were a few pieces of small metal in there, but there was no cause for concern there. By the check valves I mean the two bolts near the solenoids that have filters in them. I changed the exhaust sensor but I have switched them around to see if the code follows and it does not. I have not had time to check the wires and make sure there isn't a short yet. I always keep the parts to the cars when I work on them so maybe I can put one of the old solenoids in and see if anything changes, maybe I got a bad solenoid when I bought it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search