Help!!! Any advice appreciated - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto:
Help!!! Any advice appreciated

So I think I made a mistake. I bought an 2001 530i with 161k and it has been a headache for the short 3 weeks of ownership. Including a po741 code (torque converter). I have put a new water pump and cam shaft sensor . I thought I took care of everything this weekend then it stalled twice yesterday. This is where I need help... I bought the car because it was in budget but now I am regretting buying a bmw, was hoping for a reliable car. The car drives great minus the recent stalling. Iím debating just putting a bunch of money into get the car fixed (for now) or just trying to sell the car. At this point itís just been a nightmare for me cause Iím not amazing with cars. How could I go about selling it if there are a few things wrong with it? I know the stalling could be something easy and maybe someone who likes bmw would be a better owner. If anyone in the Dayton/ Cincinnati area is looking for an e39 let me know. I feel like I got in over my head as busy high school student but I know someone else may be better suited for ownership of an otherwise great car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 08:44 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: CDN 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianfl View Post
So I think I made a mistake. I bought the car because it was in budget but now I am regretting buying a bmw, was hoping for a reliable car. I feel like I got in over my head as busy high school student [/url]
Sorry to hear about your troubles. This about sums it up: On a Budget/Reliable BMW/high school student.... These words don't belong together.

I'd get rid of it even at a loss at this point and buy a Toyota or Honda on a budget for reliability.

Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 09-04-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:51 AM
Habitual User

Mein Auto: 03 540, 03 M5, 98 540
Where are you located?
You have a code reader...did you scan for codes after the stall?

That said, I believe CMS is on to something...

Best,
Hb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haolibird View Post
Where are you located?
You have a code reader...did you scan for codes after the stall?

That said, I believe CMS is on to something...

Best,
Hb

Iím located in Dayton Ohio. I havenít had a chance to scan the codes yet though. Do you think someone would buy it with the problems it currently has? I know either way itís a loss just I feel like it may be hard to sell since I bought it 3 weeks ago.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Iím located in Dayton Ohio. I havenít had a chance to scan the codes yet though. Do you think someone would buy it with the problems it currently has? I know either way itís a loss just I feel like it may be hard to sell since I bought it 3 weeks ago.

What platforms should I try selling on...Craigís list?

Old 09-04-2019, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Yea bro try Craig list and offer up. I think you can also post it on Facebook. The more pages the better to get rid of it faster

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 09-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528i, '03 530i '06 X5
you might find an Independent BMW mechanic in your area to at least diagnose your issue. Look at BIMERS.org to find one. If you need a torque converter, that's at least $800-$1000, but that may or may not be the issue. Selling a car with a trans pblm is not great, but if the rest of the car is okay, somebody might buy it as a project to convert it to a manual..That's what I did.

As other mentioned, list it here (in classifieds), on facebook, & on craigslist.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by effduration View Post
you might find an Independent BMW mechanic in your area to at least diagnose your issue. Look at BIMERS.org to find one. If you need a torque converter, that's at least $800-$1000, but that may or may not be the issue. Selling a car with a trans pblm is not great, but if the rest of the car is okay, somebody might buy it as a project to convert it to a manual..That's what I did.

As other mentioned, list it here (in classifieds), on facebook, & on craigslist.

Would a bad TC be the potential cause for stalling?

Old 09-04-2019, 01:02 PM
Wingnut

Mein Auto: 1999 5281 5 sp msport
probably not

be alert...the world needs more lerts
Old 09-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Would a bad TC be the potential cause for stalling?

Bimmerfest mobile app
No it wouldn't. That P0741 is set by a failure of the lock-up clutch in the torque converter. This clutch is engaged when driving a a constant speed which improves fuel economy by ~3% on highway driving. Otherwise, the torque converter is entirely OK. However, it will probably set a SES engine light and if you need e-tests to renew the car licence ...

I'd advise you to first have the car scanned for trouble codes. It that finds a fault that is easily repaired you could go ahead with that and then decide if you're willing keep the car while risking future problems or sell it as an OK (almost) car. At the very least you'd be in a position to sell the car with known fault(s). Which would be better than being low balled by a buyer arguing he/she is buying non-running pig in a poke.

The "buy a Toyota" advice by some above is probably the best you'll get. Some folks luck out with E39s, but most spend several hundred a month &/or lots of DIY time keeping their car on the road. It doesn't sound as though that suits you situation at this stage in your life.

Regardless of your decision, best of luck.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search