Trust Firestone? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Trust Firestone?

2013 e70 35xi

Firestone has 4 wheel lifetime alignment for as low as $159
Would you trust them with your vehicle? TIA!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320kplus View Post
2013 e70 35xi

Lifetime alignment is total bull crap. How many times do you do alignments ???

For cheap tires and deals use this website

https://simpletire.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Its not the name on the door.

It's the tech touching your car, running the machine...listening to your requests.

I get an alignment every 2-3 years, usually w tire replacements. $99 or 109, 10-20 to the tech. I dont know how the lifetime thing works, but doesnt something need to show up (in terms of wear or pulling) for them to rack it for free?!?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 09-06-2019, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
It's 6 months or 6,000 miles. Gary, didn't you just tell me in my thread to get an alignment every 6 months?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Never heard 6mo/6k for any car...
Old 09-06-2019, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Never heard 6mo/6k for any car...

Me neither. Itís on their website. I was surprised too.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
2013 e70 35xi

Last time I used Firestone (for summer tire changeover), the "techs" broke off a wheel lug and refused to fix it, even though they were the last ones to touch (torque) it the fall before when they put on my winter set.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

im lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
More like bad alignment combined with under inflated tire.

Every 6 months get the wheels aligned. Check tire pressures every month. Could save your life. I have have seen tire blow out on a SUV on an interstate and luckily the car veered onto the grassy median. If it was a wall. then KAPUT.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 09-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Fool on the Hill

Mein Auto: x5 xDrive 35d 2013
Thw name that's known is Firestone,

where there's carnage on the road.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 E70 x35i
I have had several vehicles, including BMWs which I had done major front-end work myself where I did not align. I am talking for 50-100k miles! Unless it is wandering or pulling funny - or, you know you have hit a car damaging pothole - I do not let anybody mess with my car's alignment if the tires are wearing well.

my 2cents.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Its not the name on the door.

It's the tech touching your car, running the machine...listening to your requests.

I get an alignment every 2-3 years, usually w tire replacements. $99 or 109, 10-20 to the tech. I dont know how the lifetime thing works, but doesnt something need to show up (in terms of wear or pulling) for them to rack it for free?!?
This....it is the technician as long as they have a decent machine.

I've done lifetime once upon a time on a long ago car. Used it several times, including after an accident. At least that one didn't need any reason to bring the car in and if it checked out ok, they just handed me the printout with all the in-spec measurements.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat05 View Post
I have had several vehicles, including BMWs which I had done major front-end work myself where I did not align. I am talking for 50-100k miles! Unless it is wandering or pulling funny - or, you know you have hit a car damaging pothole - I do not let anybody mess with my car's alignment if the tires are wearing well.

my 2cents.
An old time Honda mechanic told me that too, go by tire wear and feel.
I do my toe alignment by line of sight aligning the sidewalls at 3 and 9 oclock knowing the rear and front track, you can look from the rear tire to front and get it very close to toe neutral . highway driving will confirm if you have neutral or toe in, as toe out will want to wander.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
Depends on Tech and machine. I always get cars realigned when I get new tires. I have a highly skilled local individual with the latest machine. It has all the latest specs in its software, but he will put in custom (racing?) if requested.I had the Firestone lifetime, used on a Honda Civic four door (got a check every six months; seldom change. Also on a '96 Ford Explorer. Every six months, and it needed it (since new). It just couldn't hold the alignment.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Ended up sitting at a Firestone on Sunday since I decided to use Discount Tire for the installation of a couple of new tires I purchased online. Long story short the X5 driver front tire had about 10lbs of air in it due to later finding out they didn't put the seals in the valve stem right. Discount isn't open on Sundays which only left Firestone to use.

Overheard the process with a lady that brought in her 94 Ford Crown Victoria. The tires were wearing her passenger front and rear that she had purchased from Firestone. As well as the warranty for both tires, along with lifetime alignment. So they were going to warranty out her tires and realign at little cost since there was so much tread left. She walked out of the store spending about $54 since I beleive they go off of reamining tread depth vs new tread depth and prorate.

Anyhow it seemed straight forward enough, even though I'm of the same thinking of most here. I prefer to pay per alignment and I don't ever plan on using Firestone so there's that.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci E46 Coupe
No. Don't do it. For BMWs, proper alignment calls for a 25kg weight in the drivers seat. The Only thing I take my E46 to the dealer is for an alignment. You'll ruin a set of tires trusting anybody but the dealer for an alignment. Most dealers run coupons periodically for an alignment. Mine last fall was $90
Old 09-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyharbison View Post
No. Don't do it. For BMWs, proper alignment calls for a 25kg weight in the drivers seat. The Only thing I take my E46 to the dealer is for an alignment. You'll ruin a set of tires trusting anybody but the dealer for an alignment. Most dealers run coupons periodically for an alignment. Mine last fall was $90
It calls for WAY more than that. 25kg is only 55 lbs. if you look it up, think it is well over 50kg they spec, more for the rear and pass

but i tend to weight the car the way i drive it.

fr example i the m5, i drive 98% of the time with just me. why add 300 lbs in the rear of the car and align it, yet ill never drive it ike that?

if you can tell your dealer what specific numbers to hit then use them...but many dealers think they know better, and you get a crap alignment.

i mean, you DO know that alignment isnt black and white...that there is a range...a wide range...and getting an optimum alignment isnt guaranteed with the letters BMW over the building...

Old 09-10-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyharbison View Post
I"m definitely not going to do it.

Since I put two new ones on the front and it pulls a little to the left, I have an appt for 9/20 with the dealer to get the alignment done. They are currently running a special on alignments starting @ $119.

Really a 25kg weight in the drivers seat? Guess that's all in keeping with the 50/50 weight distribution idea and aligning with a body's weight in the drivers seat while doing so? I'm just guessing here...
Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
I"m definitely not going to do it.

Since I put two new ones on the front and it pulls a little to the left, I have an appt for 9/20 with the dealer to get the alignment done. They are currently running a special on alignments starting @ $119.

Really a 25kg weight in the drivers seat? Guess that's all in keeping with the 50/50 weight distribution idea and aligning with a body's weight in the drivers seat while doing so? I'm just guessing here...
Wait, you are taking his incorrect information and trying to spin that into some logical explanation?!?!?

Why not FIRST determine what the supplemental weighting requirements are?

For my E39

1x68kg front
2x68 rear seat (L and R)

1x21kg in the trunk

Full tank of fuel.

Edit 68+68+68+21=225 kg aka 495 lbs. Plus fuel

Thats for the older BMWs

I can find NOTHING regarding weights for the E70

Over the last 20 years there has been a ton of spin on this issue... many cling to the mythology that 'BMWs are special; that BMW engineers and designers built in special, magical properties with these weights and procedures. Thye are convinced that only a BMW dealer can weight the car right (even if they only add 55 lbs and not the proper ~500 pounds )

Google it. you'll find thousands. pictures of the bmw work instructions...stories abut the purpose: ride height when fully laden. Or a Dinan one: car settles under dynamic air pressure at speed, so the weights set it at that height.

The more arcane and complex the explanation, the more excitement it generates....

Last edited by ard; 09-10-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Wait, you are taking his incorrect information and trying to spin that into some logical explanation?!?!?
It would seem so

It was something I had never, ever, heard before. About any brand. And I've spent a lot of time around a lot of brands of cars.

I was pretty comfortable in thinking an alignment was an alignment. No matter the car brand they all need to drive straight and for the most part have the exact same steering components needing adjustment to make that happen.

Outside of all that... I'm lost on weights.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:29 AM

Mein Auto: Everywhere
Quote:
2013 e70 35xi

If you can get to know a Tech. and request them, they can do a decent job and the deal is a great deal if you keep your car along time. Supply your own specs. Most of the shops have good computer setups, and they can show you the results when they are done.

Keep in mind, this "deal" is to get you back in the shop to sell youi other services. I use a local Firestone because I know the mechanic personally. He's a young greenbeen, relartively speaking, but I trust him to do the alignments. Not really much else.

YMMV
Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 AM
Jim Bob

Mein Auto: 525i
They find other stuff that "MUST BE FIXED NOW", pressure you to buy other crap, and break other things to get more money out of you.
Just my experience and opinion . I would not go to Firestone it if was FREE.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrancour View Post
They find other stuff that "MUST BE FIXED NOW", pressure you to buy other crap, and break other things to get more money out of you.
Just my experience and opinion . I would not go to Firestone it if was FREE.
And that had been my experience years ago. Still the "up sale" business model. Why specifically when it comes to tires I choose Discount. They only do one thing.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
And that had been my experience years ago. Still the "up sale" business model. Why specifically when it comes to tires I choose Discount. They only do one thing.

Like I said, YMMV. I get tires there and they have been very competitive on pricing.

The quality varies from store to store. All of the chains and dealers try to up-sale.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
So, I was once told by a mechanic who I determined later was less than reputable, that when he did my alignment, he "got it to go as far as he could", and "BMWs need a special tool". Assuming that was BS, but thought I'd offer that.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search