mystery wake up start button issue - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-11-2019, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto:
mystery wake up start button issue

I have an 06 330i and it wont wake up power on....unless I hold the start button in for 15 seconds!

I went thru the power diagram and checked all the fuses and relays
and typical wire burn issues ...all checks out.
I have the key that has the battery soldered in....it works on the doors from far away....but occasionally does not....when I put it in the slot the light indicating it's there comes on....
Sometimes the key batt low light comes on the dash but is rare.

I tested out the fob battery and its 3 volts.
The car battery was the first thing I changed and then registered it ..

I've talked to several master techs and theyve never ever heard of this problem.

But to me...with it being precisely 15 seconds every time there has to be something to it.....

How would one get in touch with a bmw engineer or programmer that surely would know the wake up ins and outs....

Surely someone has a flow chart like...if this happens press start forc15 seconds and if it wakes up go to this step....if not go to next step....

So those are my questions...
1.has anyone even heard of having to hold the button down 15 seconds to wake?

2. How would one reach an engineer or programmer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 06:24 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltbmw View Post
So those are my questions...
1.has anyone even heard of having to hold the button down 15 seconds to wake?

2. How would one reach an engineer or programmer?
1. Can you clarify this a bit? By "wake" do you mean turn on the radio and other accessories, with the engine off? Or do you mean you have to hold the button for 15 seconds before the starter begins to crank the engine?

Either way, I have never heard of this behavior. The car should wake up and switch to the "radio readiness" state when you lock the fob in the dash receptacle. This post describes the states, and state transitions, that correspond to the positions of a traditional rotary ignition switch.

2. Directly? One does not. One takes the vehicle to a BMW dealer. Only dealerships are able to escalate to BMW field engineers when in-house diagnosis fails.

BMW CCA
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for that link. To clarify...initially after unlock the lights come on when the door is open and when I insert the key into the slot the indicator shows there is a key inserted.
The radio does not come on...I have to hold in the button for 15 seconds before the radio will come on as well as dash light indicators...so accessory mode in which it will start.
As long as the key remains in the slot i can turn it off and then immediately back on but if I pull the key out the process starts over and have to hold the button for 15 seconds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto:
So it's taking 15 seconds to pair the key??
Old 09-11-2019, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto:
This post says that to make a new key you turn the car on and leave a blank fob in the slot hold the button 20 seconds.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15636
Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto:
Update...put a new fob and tried the hold the start 20 sec in the slot...didnt work. A locksmith friend programmed it and we ruled out the key for sure.
He called experts he knew...same thing no one has ever seen this problem.

For now my simplest solution is I copied the ir code onto a coin type fob and put it in the slot and now itll start fine however the doors wont stay locked bc it sees the key so I have to now use the key and hold lock for precisely 7 seconds to override to keep locked.
Sure someone can smash a window and steal the car but who's going around doing that and I'm not giving my address and such.

So now instead of wait 15 sec to start I have to insert a key and wait seven sec to lock! Both are un bmw like and not cool when you have a hot cuban chick in the car..
Some suggest the button but I doubt it is the culprit.
After the 15 sec hold if no brake itll turn the radio on then I have to push a second time to get the cig lighter on and will start w brake.
If brake is pressed itll just start after the 15 sec.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
The CAS controls Terminal 30B status. Terminal 30B is normally activated when you press the Start/Stop button, or lock/unlock the car,. Perhaps the Terminal 30B relay is defective and operating slow, and pressing the Start button continuously for 30 secs overcomes its slowness?!
Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltbmw View Post
...To clarify...initially after unlock the lights come on when the door is open and when I insert the key into the slot the indicator shows there is a key inserted. [when the driver door is open, but NOT when it is closed I presume -- that indicates the Insert Compartment senses the presence of the key as it should]
The radio does not come on [THAT is key to diagnosis of faulty 30G relay, or faulty CAS activation of the 30G Relay (IO1068 in attached circuit diagram)]...I have to hold in the button for 15 seconds before the radio will come on as well as dash light indicators...so accessory mode in which it will start. As long as the key remains in the slot i can turn it off and then immediately back on but if I pull the key out the process starts over and have to hold the button for 15 seconds
I believe Wilt was thinking of Terminal/Relay 30G rather then 30B (I'm NOT aware of any Terminal/ Relay 30B). Here are TIS circuit diagrams showing Radio (N9) circuit (powered by F31 which is switched by Terminal 30G), CAS circuit showing activation of Terminal 30G Relay (IO1068), Terminal Control circuit showing similar CAS activation of 30G Relay (IO1068) and "Installation Location" of IO1068 on upper-right of JB (Junction Box) Fuse Panel:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-radio/shuzctH
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/r14Nexa
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...minals/tynO7QH
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lim/1VncFDHYib

Happy testing,
George

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search