DIY: 2003 325i 95K REAR Shock/Mount/Spring installation - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-27-2019, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
DIY: 2003 325i 95K REAR Shock/Mount/Spring installation

Update on my 2003 325i with 95K miles...

If you are reading this, I assume you know a thing or 2 about fixing cars and safety aspects (jack stands etc.). So exercise safety, read on how to remove/install wheel, jack up the car and how to support it. Don't want people to get hurt...

- REAR springs broke in 2011, the P.O. drove like that for 8 more years bc the broken point is near the bottom of the spring, so the height is barely dropped.
- Anyway, I replaced the REAR springs.
- This has been written on E46fanatics and here, so I won't go into detail except a few things...

1. Use good parts: Lesjofors spring, Bilstein shock, Sachs mounts.

2. In theory I could have re-used the upper and lower rubber cusions, but I replaced them anyway.
Ditto for the shock mounts, did not look too bad.
But it all depends on the P.O. driving habits: did they ever hit a huge potholes etc.?

3. NOTE: no need for spring compressor, just use the floor jack (watch the wiring on the control arm!) and 2 pieces of tire rubber as shown for traction. This will create enough space to remove/install the spring.

4. Note the sequence of assembly.

5. If using Bilstein, note the correct location for the washer.

6. After installation, there will be some difference in heights.
Don't panic if you see different heights.
Give it 1-2 days to settle down...

Photos below...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search