no start - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
no start

After replacing the GUIBO, center support bearing and transmission fluid. Car won't start now. Gear indicator does not display on dash. Pressing the start button, everything lights up. Press the start button again, everyhting shuts off.
\
Also - kepyfob will not eject.

thanks for any help you may have.

2007 BMW 650i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
As always with electrical issues on these cars, ensure you have a fully charged battery first. Next, it's possible the DME has become unsynced with the EWS, this can happen for a number of reasons but if you don't already have it you'll need either the DIS or ISTA software to resync them (you'll want to run the codes anyway to see if anything obvious pops up). Lastly I'd revisit the work that you've listed, the Guibo and centre support won't be an issue as they're mechanical but I'd deffinately check the electrical socket for the gearbox which would have been removed when the filter and fluid was replaced, the seal for this socket should have been replaced too and if not fitted exactly you can wind up with bent or pushed back pins in the plug giving you allsorts of problems.
Hopefully it's just a nice easy low voltage problem .

Neal.

Last edited by Hsurf; 12-03-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
+1, try charging the battery 1st, then work back towards the wiring to the tranny. I hope you follow the trans fluid refill when you crank the engine, you will need to add around 4 more qts with the engine running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2019, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
No start

I now have the DIS software - any quick pointers on to get everything synchronized before I get to far into the trouble shooting?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Jorge
Old 12-20-2019, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr2k View Post
I now have the DIS software - any quick pointers on to get everything synchronized before I get to far into the trouble shooting?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Jorge
DIS is pretty much outdated at this point & hard to get configured. If you have it running, go ahead & run the quick test, then use the bottom arrow on the right to go to the next page. On this page you will see a list of items that are having problems. You will most likely see a lot of faults if your battery has gotten weak at any point, so I would either screenshot them, or delete all of the faults. Once all of the faults have been clear & noted, run the quick test again, & work off of the new list of faults. If the engine will not crank & run, you might need to do a DMW/EGS sync to get it running again. If this does not work, I would suspect a problem with the IVM module. The IVM module will not ever show a fault code, it either works, or it doesn't. All of the critical sensors & module controls flow thru the IVM. It does have around 7 to 8 fuses, that could be checked for damage.

ISTA is the new software that is much easier to operate, & it is the current platform for BMW.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10|E66|E38|E34
Did you replace the electrical round sleeve at the rear of the transmission when changing the fluid?
Old 12-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMech View Post
Did you replace the electrical round sleeve at the rear of the transmission when changing the fluid?
Good point if he removed the valve body?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search