E93 convertible roof slams into trunk when opening - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-18-2020, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: E93 335i Convertible
E93 convertible roof slams into trunk when opening

Hi wonderful bimmerfest community,

I have a 2007 E93 335i which I purchased used with about 80,000km's on the clock.

When I OPEN the convertible hard top roof, at the last part when it enters the trunk space after it's folded up, it slams down quite hard into the trunk space (enough to be able to feel the chasis shake from the drivers seat).

Wondering what could be causing this so I can try to fix this myself rather than approach the stealership

I've searched a ton but cant find anything about what this could be and don't have a service manual.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 11:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod

Hmmmm. Webasto-Edscha makes the folding top....

[HERE] is a PDF of Ms. Kat's guide to maintenance --> try doing that first. Any change?
Old 01-19-2020, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto:
For mine seems to depend on the outside temp a bit. Sometimes slams shut, other times smoother. I just use it and dont really worry about it. It still opens and closes correctly. Sounds normal to me.

Last edited by Black Valkyrie; 01-19-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Hardtop Convertible
Folding hardtop problems

I wish my roof would slam into the trunk! Mine is currently stuck halfway in/out.
I've changed the salmon relays, topped up the hydraulic fluid, but my trunk lid is closed instead of being open in the reverse mode. HELP please, what is next?
Old 01-24-2020, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: E93 335i Convertible
Thanks all for replies so far.

I'm pretty sure this behaviour is not normal. the entire car shakes when the roof slams into the trunk, I've not seen this on any others I've seen or on videos on youtube where its all silky smooth.
Also i'm pretty sure that every time i let it do it, its so severe that it's likely opening up tolerances even further, which could create other problems down the road.

I've been away from my car so will do the hinge & seal maintenance in next week or so, but I cant imagine it helping , i'm thinking if the hinges are looser / better lubricated it would just slam even harder (fingers crossed i'm wrong).

I finally found a schematic and explanation for the roof system online and I now think its likely to be the main pillar gas pressure springs / Lift Support (item # 54377128764). That part (2 of) is apparently supposed to regulate the hydraulic pressure at the lift/lower stage (similar to the part which does the lifting on the hood). looks like it might be a potentially complex replacement though.

I'll definitely try the hinge and seal cleaning first, and report back here, fingers crossed.

For anyone looking for the schematic/explanation of the roof system functions ---> https://tophydraulicsinc.com/photos/e93hardtop.pdf

Last edited by Makeitcount; 01-24-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto:
Great pdf! Thanks for the link!
Old 01-25-2020, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i E93
Mine started doing that too after I was trying to get rid of a rubbing noise it was making. I think I over lubed it or sprayed lube on the wrong hinge. I remember it threw code for the travel sensor (or something like that). I wasn't concerned with it at the time because I had a bigger problem to deal with. I cleared the codes and it hasn't returned. but after I cleared the code I noticed it didn't hit as hard as it did before. So I would see if yours threw a code as well.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod

[click me for BMW SIB 54 06 07]
Old 01-26-2020, 09:25 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. I'm the new guy on the block and have trouble working the forum.
My problem is that my roof DOES NOT slam into the trunk!
My trunk lid can open / close for normal luggage but will not open to receive the folded hardtop! PLEASE HELP.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto:
Do you have the little safety lid closed and latched and have nothing stored in the areas where it says store nothing here
Old 01-26-2020, 10:18 AM

Storage lid is down for allowing the roof stowage, but the trunk is in the wrong sequence (not open to receive),
I've changed relays, topped up hydraulics etc but I'm stuck with the hardtop folded above the car and the trunk closed!
Old 01-26-2020, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto:
Did you use this ?

https://tophydraulicsinc.com/photos/e93hardtop.pdf

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search