E90 2011 328i cranks but won't start P103A P105B P1056 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-20-2020, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto:
E90 2011 328i cranks but won't start P103A P105B P1056

I have a E90 2011 BMW 328i sedan with just over 39k miles. It cranks but won't start. Several days ago it ran perfect and was able to pull codes of P103A, P105B and P1056. Can anyone help?

Last edited by 11E90328i; 01-20-2020 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Ooops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 10:06 AM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
igamble093 posted those exact same codes back on 9-16-2014, looks like replacing the eccentric shaft sensor solved his problem.

Did you look up what those codes actually mean?

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
1999 740iA - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 330xiA - fXtXeX/son project - now April's car
2008 335xiA - winterbeater Impala replacement
2002 530i/5 - 2.5 years searching...and it is John's car
1989 535i/5 - the spare car
2002 325xiA - to be Charlotte's when she gets her license (?2019?)
Old 01-20-2020, 12:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11E90328i View Post
I have a E90 2011 BMW 328i sedan with just over 39k miles. It cranks but won't start...codes of P103A, P105B and P1056. Can anyone help?
Welcome to the Forum!

Questions:
1) I presume you mean those are the ONLY codes you are able to read at this time?
2) What Freeze Frame Data do you read for each code, including Mileage/km and what is shown on your Odometer at the moment?
3) What Brand & Model of Scan Tool or software are you using to read DME Codes?
4) Check fuse F07 in the E-box (Location diagram linked below) and if it is blown, do NOT do anything else until you have ruled out a short in the ServoMotor it's Connector or wiring, or in the ESS Connector or wiring, as you may damage the DME.
5) Have you tried disconnecting the ESS Connector under the Coil Cover on the Front-Right of the VC (Valve Cover) to see if it starts with that Connector DISconnected? ONLY do that if F07 is NOT blown, and NO indication of wiring connector fault at ServoMotor.

ALL Three of those codes relate to the VVT (Valvetronic) System. NOTE that code definitions DIFFER depending upon which Engine and DME Variant your vehicle has -- I am ASSuming N52 with MSV80 DME. If that is NOT correct, please advise and get proper Definition by using BMW Fault Code Lookup:
http://www.bmwfault.codes/

Here are the Code Definitions per BMW Fault Code Lookup, and the respective Fault Information link for each which provides Service Notes which suggest tests to conduct:

N52 | P103A | 2A45 | DME: Valvetronic, actuator motor: plausibility | MSV80 | Engine electronics | View
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...cANQAyADAANAA=

N52 | P105B | 2A77 | DME: Control module, internal fault: Valvetronic output stage | MSV80 | Engine electronics | View
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...UANAA3ADAANAA=

N52 | P1056 | 2A3F | DME: Valvetronic, actuator motor: power supply | MSV80 | Engine electronics | View
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...IAOQAzADAANAA=

Here is the "Valve Gear" TIS circuit diagram for the 2008 & Later 328i E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...sensor/vOpiTYU

I would START by checking fuse F07 in the E-box per this TIS Installation Location:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-328i-lim/SIxpcgV

Hopefully you had wiring fault, or Actuator/ServoMotor Fault that caused a short and blew fuse F07, and saved the DME. If F07 IS blown, BEFORE simply replacing I would suggest testing the Motor Power Supply wiring/connector and the resistance of the motor (M6353) across its two pins at Connector X6353. Of course, those codes ALSO suggest the DME itself may have issues, but even if it DOES, that may be the result of wiring or motor issues.

Please let us know if you need suggestions on tests (presuming you have a DMM & know how to use it ;-) and please let us know what you find.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2020, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Questions:
1) I presume you mean those are the ONLY codes you are able to read at this time?
2) What Freeze Frame Data do you read for each code, including Mileage/km and what is shown on your Odometer at the moment?
3) What Brand & Model of Scan Tool or software are you using to read DME Codes?
4) Check fuse F07 in the E-box (Location diagram linked below) and if it is blown, do NOT do anything else until you have ruled out a short in the ServoMotor it's Connector or wiring, or in the ESS Connector or wiring, as you may damage the DME.
5) Have you tried disconnecting the ESS Connector under the Coil Cover on the Front-Right of the VC (Valve Cover) to see if it starts with that Connector DISconnected? ONLY do that if F07 is NOT blown, and NO indication of wiring connector fault at ServoMotor.

ALL Three of those codes relate to the VVT (Valvetronic) System. NOTE that code definitions DIFFER depending upon which Engine and DME Variant your vehicle has -- I am ASSuming N52 with MSV80 DME. If that is NOT correct, please advise and get proper Definition by using BMW Fault Code Lookup:
http://www.bmwfault.codes/

Here are the Code Definitions per BMW Fault Code Lookup, and the respective Fault Information link for each which provides Service Notes which suggest tests to conduct:

N52 | P103A | 2A45 | DME: Valvetronic, actuator motor: plausibility | MSV80 | Engine electronics | View
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...cANQAyADAANAA=

N52 | P105B | 2A77 | DME: Control module, internal fault: Valvetronic output stage | MSV80 | Engine electronics | View
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...UANAA3ADAANAA=

N52 | P1056 | 2A3F | DME: Valvetronic, actuator motor: power supply | MSV80 | Engine electronics | View
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...IAOQAzADAANAA=

Here is the "Valve Gear" TIS circuit diagram for the 2008 & Later 328i E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...sensor/vOpiTYU

I would START by checking fuse F07 in the E-box per this TIS Installation Location:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-328i-lim/SIxpcgV

Hopefully you had wiring fault, or Actuator/ServoMotor Fault that caused a short and blew fuse F07, and saved the DME. If F07 IS blown, BEFORE simply replacing I would suggest testing the Motor Power Supply wiring/connector and the resistance of the motor (M6353) across its two pins at Connector X6353. Of course, those codes ALSO suggest the DME itself may have issues, but even if it DOES, that may be the result of wiring or motor issues.

Please let us know if you need suggestions on tests (presuming you have a DMM & know how to use it ;-) and please let us know what you find.

George
George,
1) The battery was previously disconnected, so yes these are the ONLY codes I was able to read while the car was running (for about 20 minutes). Last ran about a week ago.
2) Didn't read freeze frame data. Not sure how to do that and what the data even shows and means. Car has a little over 39k miles.
3) Read codes with my Innova 3140 OBDII scan tool.
4) F07 Ebox fuse is okay.
5) Is the ESS connector for the Eccentric Shaft Sensor at the top/front of the valve cover?

Yes N52 and MSV80 DME.

I hired a newbie BMW tech (on the side) that works at my local BMW dealer. He checked; recent Interstate battery which is fully charged, F07 E-box fuse okay, valvetronic motor relay in the E-box okay, swapped the valvetronic motor from his running/driving 07 328i sedan and that didn't solve the problem. He's only getting 6 volts to the valvetronic motor, is that normal? He's going to talk to his master tech coworkers this week to try and figure out what's going on.

Last edited by 11E90328i; 01-26-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Ooops
Old 01-26-2020, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
5) Is the ESS connector for the Eccentric Shaft Sensor at the top/front of the valve cover? [YES]
I hired a newbie BMW tech (on the side) that works at my local BMW dealer. He checked; recent Interstate battery which is fully charged, F07 E-box fuse okay, valvetronic motor relay in the E-box okay, swapped the valvetronic motor from his running/driving 07 328i sedan and that didn't solve the problem. He's only getting 6 volts to the valvetronic motor, is that normal? [Sensor feeds are often 5V -- never heard of a 6V power supply, and for what the VVT ServoMotor has to do, and how FAST it has to do it, I would say NO WAY is that proper voltage supply for a MOTOR. However that may be voltage "at rest" when the motor is NOT being activated to move the Eccentric Shaft. The DME has to reverse Polarity of the Voltage supply to run the motor in opposite direction (increase lift vs. decrease lift). You can test it with multimeter with ignition ON but Engine OFF. Digital DMM will show change from positive Voltage figure to Negative when throttle position is changed. I would Examine and electrically TEST (for Ohms/ Resistance) the wires between the DME & Servomotor connectors. Given that the Newbie Tech swapped in a KNOWN GOOD VVT Servomotor with SAME results, that essentially rules out too much resistance in your motor]...
If "Newbie Tech" has INPA or ISTA on his laptop, or any Scan Tool or Software that can read "Hex-codes" in addition to P-codes, I would have him read ALL Fault Codes in DME Module, WITH Freeze Frame Data and Fault Details. If he has a laptop setup, get him to save screenprints of ALL relevant INPA screens as jpg files you can then have him put on a flash drive and you can attach them here.

George
Old 01-27-2020, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: various BMW's
Quote:
I have a E90 2011 BMW 328i sedan with just over 39k miles. It cranks but won't start. Several days ago it ran perfect and was able to pull codes of P103A, P105B and P1056. Can anyone help?
I have the same problem, welcome to the club. George is trying to help me as well. Hopefully, we both get it figured out sooner than later.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto:
I would go ahead and switch out the DME relay. There is another thread on here that had a very similar problem. He was only getting 4 volts to the valvetronic motor. Once he swapped the relay the problem was solved. additional a valvetronic servo motor stop relearn may yeild some indiation as to weather the motor is functioning or if its a wiring issue. Have him run the test from the a bi-directional scanner and see what it says. When my relay went out, it would not allow me to perform this test as obviously there was no power to the motor, that lead me to the relay, swapped it out and bam, stop relearn when off without a problem!

Last edited by Erik328; 01-29-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik328 View Post
I would go ahead and switch out the DME relay. There is another thread on here that had a very similar problem. He was only getting 4 volts to the valvetronic motor. Once he swapped the relay the problem was solved. additional a valvetronic servo motor stop relearn may yeild some indiation as to weather the motor is functioning or if its a wiring issue. Have him run the test from the a bi-directional scanner and see what it says. When my relay went out, it would not allow me to perform this test as obviously there was no power to the motor, that lead me to the relay, swapped it out and bam, stop relearn when off without a problem!

Bad relay....solid state?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto:
I hired the newbie BMW tech today to replace the eccentric shaft sensor, valve cover gasket and spark plug gaskets for $250 and it solved the problem! RUNS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT NOW! It took him 4 hours to complete the job start to finish. I used a genuine VDO sensor ($150 off ebay) and Mahle gasket set ($18 off ebay). So if you have these 3 codes of P103A, P105B and P1056, you need a new eccentric shaft sensor.

Last edited by 11E90328i; 02-16-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto:
Here's the link to the seller of the genuine VDO sensor I bought off ebay for $150 shipped. Lowest offer they'll accept is $142 + $8 shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-VDM...X/312885303482
Comes in a factory sealed VDO/Continental box. Once it arrived, I was able to go to the vdo website and verified the serial number to verify authenticity.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search