BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

01+ Broken Headlight Adjuster Fix (E39)

201K views 94 replies 48 participants last post by  TurnzSr 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Hmm...wonder why nobody has made some out of metal (such as billet aluminum), yet.

Lots of companies make tiny parts out of billet alum. for R/C cars, would be nice to see somebody start building parts for full size cars that are prone to failure.

meh. you can get solid aluminum adjusters through me cheaper, why buy plastic to replace broken plastic?
oops...nvm. Didn't see that post. Will keep that in mind e39dream, should the need ever arise.

#6 ·
Great find. My adjusters aren't broken yet. I look forward to reading more about your fix.

#9 ·
Very nice write up! Thank you a bunch! I will reference these when I get my new adjusters. I HATE driving at night right now.

#13 · (Edited)
Great DIY write up!!!

Few odd questions:

a) where stated in write up, "thread the new pieces on the existing headlight adjustment white screw", is the cutting of the new threads necessary on the new piece done by the screw with the 10mm nut (that can also be turned by the white adjuster screw but not advised), at the direction shown in following picture?

Or, maybe i got this thing all wrong in how the new adjuster piece is screwed/threaded on to the existing screw.

b) In the following picture, how are the A and B adjustments affect the proper alignment of the headlight?

c) After cutting the new threads on the new pieces, is it recommended to still use the 10mm nut to do final headlight adjustment? Or use the white adjuster screw?

Thanks much!

#15 ·
Gixxer:
Question = a) where stated in write up, "thread the new pieces on the existing headlight adjustment white screw", is the cutting of the new threads necessary on the new piece done by the screw with the 10mm nut (that can also be turned by the white adjuster screw but not advised), at the direction shown in following picture?

Answer = correct. I turned the 10mm black nut clockwise(below the white adjuster knob) to thread the new piece on the threaded rod inside the chassis. The new piece did not look like it was threaded, and it required some torque to run all the way up to the end. Do not use the white knob to do this, the teeth cannot take the stress. Once you have run the piece back and forth a few times, the white knob will handle all future adjustments.

Question = b) In the following picture, how are the A and B adjustments affect the proper alignment of the headlight?

Answer = (A) seems to be the main adjustment for height. I think (B) is for the high beam as it did not seem effect the low beam pattern. I never had the high beams on when I set the lows, so I am not sure. I could not find any info in the owners manual on headlight adjustment procedures. Maybe someone else will chime in with additional info.

#16 ·
This may sound stupid but how do you know if this repair is needed. I just received my 01 530 with HID and it seems to be point straigth down, i turned the screw at least 5-8 rotations with no noticable difference on the wall. I am wondering if my is busted also.

#17 ·
This may be a little off the subject but I have 1 in 3 people flash their high beams at me even though just my low beams are on. I have the auto leveling HIDs and am wondering if thats normal or could they be adjusted too high? Any input would be greatly appreciated, especially by wife.

#20 ·
Good write up. One thing to note is that not all OE AE Headlights will come apart in the oven or with a heat gun, some are sealed with epoxy and will not pry apart.

For example my drivers side comes apart real easy in the oven, but the pass side has will not come apart.

#21 ·
I have replaced my adjusters (both lens)...ordered mine from Odometergears.com ask for Jeff (great guy, easy to deal and very fast shipping) the very next day i got my new adjusters and installed them with ease ( well i baked them and used a blow dryer to keep it warm)...i have another set oe AE i will work on soon:thumbup: imho it's worth it...

#22 ·
1998 528i E39 headlight adjusters

Hey findog,

I reviewed your excellent post on replacement for the 2001-2003 E39 headlight adjusters. Can you give me the details for how to replace the headlight adjusters for my 1998 528i? Your help would be appreciated. I have purchased the kit from my local BMW dealer for the $20 you mentioned in your post. However, talking to the service department, I could see that they weren't very knowledgeable about what this procedure will entail. Thanks very much.

Cordially,
Tony Whelan

My email is RWhelan539@aol.com

#25 ·
Findog,
Great write up on the headlight seld-leveling adjuster DIY, because I am experiencing the same problem, but I don't have the ball to open up my headlights .....lol....I really don't know what to do....I guess I have to wait and same up some $$$ and buy new headlight.

Sinh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.