Stunt Driving - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series

3 Series & 4 Series
The BMW 3 Series and 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-09-2003, 11:57 AM
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew

Send a message via AIM to PunchIt Send a message via Yahoo to PunchIt
Mein Auto: E46 328i
Talking Stunt Driving

So, since it has started snowing up here in the Northeast, I have gone out and found large unplowed parking lots to practice what I call "stunt driving".

I have done the following. Going fast in a straight line and tried stopping quickly and/or turning at the same time to induce an extreme push in the car and then trying to spin the wheels to correct. I see this as a real world situation if you were trying to avoid hitting a snowbank or another car while making a turn in snowy weather.

The second "trick" that I have been working on is the reverse 180-degree spin. I start going backwards, and then turn the wheel 1/4 - 1/2 turn (right or left) and then as the car rotates around, gently take the shifter from Reverse and put it in 1st gear. Then, because the clutch is in, the car starts to move forward (inertia) and I just let the clutch out and drive away.

There are no real life scenarios for using this...unless you are escaping from somewhere. But it is fun to pretend I'm in the movies every once in a while.

Think I'll hurt anything on my car? I haven't heard any loud noises or smelly anything funny....so I assume nothing has broken. And the car drives just fine afterwards.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Actually, what you're doing is great as long as you don't have any hidden curbs or other cars parked nearby. Its always good to find the limitations of your automobile before you hit them in a real emergency.

Having grown up in Minnesota, my dad took me out on a frozen lake the winter I got my "Farmers permit" at age 14. He gave me the wheel and just let me lolly gag around on the ice, then he set out some logs on the ice and said "okay, stop in 'this' distance", etc. I learned alot about how a car behaves on slippery conditions. To date I've only had one accident, and 0 accidents in bad weather after 27 years of driving.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

Mein Auto: BBY Evo VIII
I agree, it's good that you are proactively exploring your car's limits.

That having been said, it's damn good fun as well. Just watch out for the po-po (they tend to get a little annoyed about these things) and try not to excessively spin the tires or burn the clutch. I have been perfecting my "straighten the car after coming out of a left/right/left drift" technique this winter. The reverse 180 sounds like good times as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2003, 12:47 PM
S-03's Rule...

Mein Auto: StBlu 330Ci 5SP SP HK
Re: Stunt Driving

Quote:
Originally posted by PunchIt
The second "trick" that I have been working on is the reverse 180-degree spin. I start going backwards, and then turn the wheel 1/4 - 1/2 turn (right or left) and then as the car rotates around, gently take the shifter from Reverse and put it in 1st gear. Then, because the clutch is in, the car starts to move forward (inertia) and I just let the clutch out and drive away.

Think I'll hurt anything on my car? I haven't heard any loud noises or smelly anything funny....so I assume nothing has broken. And the car drives just fine afterwards.

Thanks

I doubt you will hurt the car, the forces on the wheels (due to the slippery surface) will be less than would be experienced in hard dry-surface driving.

One tip on trick#2 that I have noticed. Turn the wheel slightly in the opposite direction before cranking the wheel to do the 180 in the other direction. I don't have any hard science on this, but it seemed to make the turn a lot tighter and quicker. It is a fun manouver to perform!
Old 01-09-2003, 01:42 PM
fahrer

Mein Auto: doesn't have rear fogs!
Re: Stunt Driving

Quote:
That's called a J-turn.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian 330Ci'01
... One tip on trick#2 that I have noticed. Turn the wheel slightly in the opposite direction before cranking the wheel to do the 180 in the other direction. I don't have any hard science on this, but it seemed to make the turn a lot tighter and quicker...
Correct, and here's the science behind it. By "pre-turning" in the opposite direction you induce some rocking motion which gives you more lateral weight transfer which helps break the car loose as you turn for the final 180.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:20 PM
S-03's Rule...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jspeed
Correct, and here's the science behind it. By "pre-turning" in the opposite direction you induce some rocking motion which gives you more lateral weight transfer which helps break the car loose as you turn for the final 180.
I thought I wasn't just imagining things!
Old 01-09-2003, 04:36 PM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
I get to work early, and the secondary parking lot is usually empty so on snowy days I have a little fun doing some "stunt driving".
Old 01-09-2003, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
To accomplish the "J" turn, you have to whip the wheel to the left really quick.......put your hand on the top of the wheel and pretend you are trying to throw it out the drivers side window!!!!

Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 PM
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew

when doing the "J" Turn

It seems that it would be easier on the car if once into the "spin" you let go of the wheel and let it naturally unwind to the center position.

No?
Old 01-09-2003, 08:39 PM
S-03's Rule...

Re: when doing the "J" Turn

Quote:
It seems that it would be easier on the car if once into the "spin" you let go of the wheel and let it naturally unwind to the center position.

No?
No you have to unwind the wheel during the spin to avoid over-rotating. What you are suggesting works well when overteering going forward.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:21 AM
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew

Re: Re: when doing the "J" Turn

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian 330Ci'01
No you have to unwind the wheel during the spin to avoid over-rotating. What you are suggesting works well when overteering going forward.
Wait a second...I'm confused. When I tried this "J turn" move the other night, once I turned the wheel to start the spin I could either: turn it back to center myself, or I could let go of the wheel and let it roatate to center by itself. It seemed more natrual to me to let go of the wheel and allow the car/wheel to spin itself to center.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: fu
I do this too, alot, who does not? But, I have seen a car flip over in high school from hitting a dry spot while in a push. It was always the winter sport of the high school class. Be careful, not a car out there could keep from flipping if there are in a sideways push then hit dry pavement, depending on speed.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:55 AM
KWiK

Send a message via ICQ to KWiK
Mein Auto: 2010: 328i
Re: Re: Stunt Driving

Quote:
Originally posted by bluer1
That's called a J-turn.
The cops around here call it a Rockford turn
Old 01-10-2003, 11:37 AM
fahrer

Mein Auto: doesn't have rear fogs!
Re: Re: Re: Stunt Driving

Quote:
Originally posted by KWiK
The cops around here call it a Rockford turn

I'm guessing that's what they put on your citation?
Old 01-10-2003, 12:00 PM
S-03's Rule...

Re: Re: Re: when doing the "J" Turn

Quote:
Wait a second...I'm confused. When I tried this "J turn" move the other night, once I turned the wheel to start the spin I could either: turn it back to center myself, or I could let go of the wheel and let it roatate to center by itself. It seemed more natrual to me to let go of the wheel and allow the car/wheel to spin itself to center.
Hmmm... I may be wrong on this one. I have only done this with my FWD Civic not the 330, so this may have something to do with it.

I suppose that since you are defining the final 'forward' direction of the car when you start in reverse the natural position of the wheel is to be straight in that predefined 'forward' direction. The exception here is that if I use a FWD car, torque steer may tend to keep the wheel from straigtening to that position.

If I drove the bimmer in the winter I could check out how RWD behaves.

I think I may double check this in the Civic tonight. This way I can also tell you if the local police call this a Rockford or J-Turn.

Is that Rockford as in 'Rockford Files' TV show?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series
Today's Posts Search