2007 X3 3.0Si Transmission Problem Poll - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

View Poll Results: Have you had transmission issues with your 07 X3?
No transmission issues with my 07 X3 AT 37 30.83%
Transmission issues with my 07 X3 AT 83 69.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2007, 11:47 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 991.2
2007 X3 3.0Si Transmission Problem Poll

In the other thread someone suggested a poll to see if the "transmission" problem was prevalent on '07 AT X3's. Good idea.

For 2007 production X3 3.0Si with Automatic Transmission only:

I've never had nor noticed transmission problems

or

I have transmission problems, and/or had it fixed under the service bulletin.

Please post your date of build, if known.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2007, 11:50 AM

2007 X3, April Build, 2 May 07 pickup. No issues.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:38 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
Jan 2007 Build date. Feb 10th, 2007 Delivery.

As noted in the previous thread:
"I don't seem to have an issue with it's starting from a stop. My beef is the transmission takes too long to find a gear when I'm turning onto another street. For example, I'm in D, coming up to street I need to turn left into, I was doing 45 mph, brake down to a reasonable turning speed(25?), start to make my turn and get back on the gas. That's when it hesitates and hunts for a gear on me. It's ridiculous and sometimes dangerous. As it hunts you get impatient and push the gas pedal down a bit more, that just makes it hunt longer, and then it finds a really low gear, like 2nd, and takes off like a bat outa hell."

I have yet to take it in for any software updates. I could probably live with it like it is, but it is annoying. With Summer being here, I've been driving the M3 more anyway....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2007, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto:
-I have Transmission Problems-
2007 BMW X3
6 speed Steptronic Automatic Transmission (No sport package)

Build date: 3/07

Current Status: Unresolved
Old 06-02-2007, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto:
Sports Mode Down Shifting

March 07 build. Lousy down shifting coming to a stop in Sports Mode. No resolution from BMW yet.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto:
March 07 Build and poor down shifting when slowing down to a stop in Sports Mode. No resolution as of 6/02.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto:
maybe a fix

I too have noticed a significant power decrease in power while cornering. I realized that the X3 si a has a extraordinarily advanced 4x4 system. So when cornering and accelerating the wheels start to slip and the car takes over and diminishes power to the drive wheels. If you press and hold DTC button for 5 sec until on the HUD it shows a 4x4 icon with an arrow showing counterclockwise. Try cornering and accelerating it makes a definate improvement and on regular acceleration too.
Sean
Old 06-02-2007, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonbmw View Post
I too have noticed a significant power decrease in power while cornering. I realized that the X3 si a has a extraordinarily advanced 4x4 system. So when cornering and accelerating the wheels start to slip and the car takes over and diminishes power to the drive wheels. If you press and hold DTC button for 5 sec until on the HUD it shows a 4x4 icon with an arrow showing counterclockwise. Try cornering and accelerating it makes a definate improvement and on regular acceleration too.
Sean
no, I don't think the xDrive AWD system has anything to do with it, althought it feels EXACTLY like it. You shouldn't be skidding on dry pavement in an X3. And even if you were, the DSC light would flash. The DSC would cut power, but it is different than transmission hesitation. Activating the DTC will not help acceleration. good thinking, though. Hope your system gets fixed soon and you have fun!
Old 06-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5, 2006 530i
Wingspan,

Thanks for getting the poll up and running. I have noticed that a BMW customer service rep reads the fora and maybe if they see the extent of the problem via a poll they will respond to us directly here and also get this issue resolved once and for all.

As I mentioned in the other thread I have a 1/07 build date purchased in Santa Rosa, CA on May 30. Must have been sitting around the lot for months. Just turned 500 miles tonight.

I have noticed a few minor issues but nothing like others mention here. There is no "searching" when I turn a corner or otherwise that I have noticed and it sounds very noticeable. I live on a pretty big hill and going down from the crest the tranny sometimes but not always downshifts roughly. I wonder if they did the software update before the sale.

I voted no problems but will comment later if something more significant develops.

Then:
'07 X5 3.0 Alpine, Tobacco, Dark Burl, Sport, Tech, Premium, Rear climate, 3d row seat, ipod & running boards.
'07 X3, Silver Gray, Gray, Gray Poplar, Auto (gone and forgotten)
'03 Z4, 2.5, M. Blue, Black, MT, Sport, Premium. (RIP)
'95 325i, E36, Blk, Blk, auto, premium
'89 325i, E30, 1st one, Platinum Bronze, Black leatherette, MT.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:26 AM
the driver

Mein Auto: X3 3.0d 2007, 530d 2011
i have manual transmission, so, everything is just perfect
Old 06-03-2007, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto:
Yes ... I have

build date Feb. 07. Has had the hesitation from stop from day one.
I had the SIB 24 08 07 software update done at Sweeney BMW two days ago.
It is better, but not 100%. The service rep asked me to bring it back if things were not improved, so sounds like they know it's not a perfect fix.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (formerly)
March Build Date.

The hesitation / difficulty to get going smoothly is my issue. This is my only real complaint with the vehicle. I will get the SIB done but maybe wait to see if it is modified some before I get it done since the issue does not seem to be 100% resolved for people who had it done.

When I put the vehicle in sport mode, the above issue does not occur.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Your Wish Is Granted

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 MT
01/07 build date. Had the hesitation problem from day one. I had the SIB update performed. It made D much better, and SD much worse.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Unhappy Bordering on lemon Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
build date Feb. 07. Has had the hesitation from stop from day one.
I had the SIB 24 08 07 software update done at Sweeney BMW two days ago.
It is better, but not 100%. The service rep asked me to bring it back if things were not improved, so sounds like they know it's not a perfect fix.

Yes, I have had the exact same update several days ago. I have noticed some change, but not in the areas that need it. There have been several occasions where I have stepped on the gas only to find "shift-lag". Sinc this is becoming more than an inconvenience BMW may find themselves addressing a lot of lemon law rebates or replacements very soon.

Even with the loaner policy I didn't buy a loaner and can't constantly swap baby seats in and out in order for them to try to fix it.

2 more times in MD and it's a new car.

Don't get me wrong I love the car, but won't tolerate a well known problem like this.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 06-03-2007, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
Lemon Law

How do you know build date??

I bought mine mid April 2007.

I too have hesitation problems from stop, and also while driving. If you are traveling say 35 mph, and take foot off of gas to make a turn, slow down, make turn, then hit gas-nothing....brief lapse until it takes off again. Also have rough downshifting.

I had it in twice already in a month for reprogramming. It has been only 3 days since I have the car back. Yes it seems better, but it seemed better the first time, until about a week later, then it got worst than ever. I have notice 2 small hesitations so far. I will let you know more next week. I have my doubts.

Too bad, because when it is operating well, it seems very smooth.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd View Post
Sorry you are still having troubles.

I believe you can find the build date on the manufacturers plate affixed on the driver's side door pillar. Open the driver's door, look for the black rectangular plate on the door jamb about 1/2 way up. Build date should appear e.g. "APR 07". Mrs. W's truck is at her work or I would go look.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3, 2000 Audi S4
November 2006 build date

I have had transmission problems.

Hesitation from stop, 2-1-2 fumbling when accelerating from a stop. Performed the "hold down the accelerator" reset and these went away.

I still find the transmission shifts very jerky. The car also often lurches forward against the parking brake after turning it off.

I have not done any SIBs yet.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Mein Auto: 2006 325i; 2015 Yamaha R3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markd View Post
Build date is on the driver's door jamb sticker, usually its month/year.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 PM

Holy Mackerel, looks like a huge percentage of '07 X3 AT owners are reporting problems with their transmissions, at least according to this poll.

Not good.

Does anyone know the level of complaints that would trigger a recall?

I know I got a letter from MBZ on my '99 C280 about the engine sludging issue, and a warranty extention to 100K. I was in the process of selling it (what a reliability nightmare that car was but that's another topic) at the time so I never took it in.

Anyone?

Bueller?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Your Wish Is Granted

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 MT
I am kind of surprised that no one from BMWNA customer relations has made any input on this. Don't read these boards? Aren't they concerned about what potential X3 buyers will think if they read this? Maybe they don't have a fix. It is a shame because it is a great vehicle otherwise.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto:
I have not had time to drive my X3 enough and its my first automatic in a long time. I have also been to lazy to get close to the instruction manual but my experience with the transmission is it seems like the pedal position ie. how far you have push in the pedal controls your gears almost like changing yourself. What I am getting at could some of the problems describe be controlled with more precise use of the pedal? It fore sure is a different gear box than on my old Subra I had back in the 90s. Pedal position now seems to give much more feedback to the gear box than what I have tried before where it was more just kick down or cruise mode.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:08 PM

pedal position and stepping on the gas

I was wondering if it was something like pedal position and/or stepping on the gas in conjunction with this 260hp 3.0 because the X3 does seem to surge ahead but I have notices some "stall" upon turning and on the rare occassion taking off from the line. I have thought that I am just new to getting a feel for the car. That said, the problems described here sound much more extreme that what I have been encountering. I have not felt unsafe, such as being hung out in an intersection on a left turn while the X looks for a gear as has been mentioned in the other thread. The bottomline is that this is an issue that BMW should address head on. My real concern is the the fix is not really fixing the problem. Is this more in the nature of a design defect with a new tranny and engine?

I guess the poll will tell it all. A 75% plus problem rate is very poor.

BMWUSA what say you?

Then:
'07 X5 3.0 Alpine, Tobacco, Dark Burl, Sport, Tech, Premium, Rear climate, 3d row seat, ipod & running boards.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Alpine Sport X3.0si
Build date 1/07. Tranny software upgrade done last week. Notice improvement in D mode, Sport mode - worse.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:11 PM

SD Worse? and another question...

How is the SD worse? I guess I would best describe my transmission as sometimes jerky. It is strange for me because this is an intermittent problem. At times it works great. My guestion is should I get the software update no matter what? Can it make a tolerably annoying problem worse? Thanks

Then:
Old 06-07-2007, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto:
No comments on my pedal position post? Drove the car again today and pay even more attention to the shifting at just can't replicate the same serious problems described. Got my car in February.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search