BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Group buy for LCM Repair Part Infineon BTS426L1???

162K views 314 replies 130 participants last post by  mattmar1 
#1 · (Edited)
Group buy for "Infineon BTS426L1" to repair the LCM.

As we know a new LCM is some $300-400. A common problem is headlight ON even with key OFF. Virtually in all cases, it is the defective Chip made by Infineon. Read this repair DIY:

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/s...-26581-258917-3865/REPAIR OF LCM ON A E39.pdf

Infineon BTS426L1. Technical data is here:
http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/infineon/1-BTS426L1_20030926.pdf

I have the opportunity to buy wholesale (such as qty= 100) to get good price of $7-8/each.
Note: There are 2 chips in the LCM (one for RH and one for LH high beams)

The question is: how many of you are interested in buying this chip to keep at home as the likelihood of LCM failure is very high? Better to have it at home than waiting for the LCM to fail, as online ordering will take some 60-90 days.

If there is enough interest in this Inifineon chip, then I will order some 100 (minimum order), set up on ebay so you guys can buy from me for let say for $8 + postage. Again, No profit, I just want to get a good deal of these chips, and cover my costs and pass these on to bimmerfest members at cost price.

(Hey...I do not want to get stuck with 100 chips :))

See less See more
#5 ·
The LCM controls lighting in your car.
When it fails, usually the headlight is on (even if you remove the key). It will drain the battery.
A New LCM unit is very expensive in the range of $300-400.
An alternative is "unsolder" the damaged chips and "solder" in new chips for a much cheaper price.

#16 ·
I'd be interested in 1 if it really is that common. I"m assuming that they go one at a time, not both together.

#21 ·
Yeah, i'll take 2 also instead of 1... spares are good.

#25 · (Edited)
GOOD NEWS... I ordered 100!!!

Alright guys,

I took the plunge and ordered 100 of this chips BTS426L1. The chips will be shipped to me next week .....:thumbup:

It is a pain to deal with these chips companies that rather sell at least 500 and even 10,000 chips to factories and repair shops, not to consumers like us. They make more money this way...:)
They reluctantly sold 100 chips to me!

Anyway I ordered 100 chips, so you guys...don't let me down (I don't want to sit on these 100 chips, it will be a PITA to sit on these chips...:cry:).

I will calculate the cost (shipping + tax)....but it is roughly $8/chip for you guys (shipping included). Still better than spending $400 on a new LCM, I guess.

My 7-year-old son will volunteer to help pack chips and ship to you guys (whoever order the chips).

Here is the question...what do you guys prefer? ebay listing vs direct payment.

(to be honest with you guys I have bought things from ebay but NEVER sold on ebay but will figure it out if necessary!!!!!).

#26 ·
Alright guys,

Here is the question...what do you guys prefer? ebay listing vs direct payment.

(to be honest with you guys I have bought things from ebay but NEVER sold on ebay but will figure it out if necessary!!!!!).
cn90,

FYI, Ebay charges a minimal fee for selling or even simply listing an item on their site so as much as possible, don't go through that route. IMO, direct sale with the use of Paypal for the payment is a much better way.

Thanks for your initiative on this!

#38 ·
Just a thought,

I hope the items you ordered are the ones with the full length legs as are on the LCM and not the surface mount model. The reason I say this is that the standard BTS426L1 is currently out of stock in all the European suppliers and I ordered the SM version which has cut down legs with the middle one only being 2 to 3 mm long (about 1/16 on an inch) which means you have to try and solder on extensions. I destroyed two of these today and hence why i am on the market for a few.

I reassembled the module without the components and hey presto I now have dipped headlights that go and off with the switch, so no more removing the battery cable each time I park up.

To answer another question the LCM has many functions including the speedo and hence matched to the car and therefore if it has to be replaced it must be done at a BMW dealer.

If someone knows different let me know how to work around this

#43 ·
Yes I orderd BTS426L1

Just a thought,

I hope the items you ordered are the ones with the full length legs as are on the LCM and not the surface mount model. The reason I say this is that the standard BTS426L1 is currently out of stock in all the European suppliers and I ordered the SM version which has cut down legs with the middle one only being 2 to 3 mm long (about 1/16 on an inch) which means you have to try and solder on extensions. I destroyed two of these today and hence why i am on the market for a few.
Yes I orderd BTS426L1, the proper version for the LCM.

Another note: I plan to list this chip on ebay for Canada and US, not sure if I should list this for worldwide delivery (too complicated for me to figure out the worldwide postage....:))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.