BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

In Dash CD Player+ DICE Install Write-up

95K views 81 replies 21 participants last post by  josemedeiros007 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this topic of In-Dash CD player installation or DICE installation has been covered in different forums but specific info is scattered, also no write-up for DICE in-dash install so I will try to do a write-up here for newbies.

Car is 1998 528i: Stock M.I.D., and Stock cassette player.
-------
My needs are:
1. In-dash CD Player
2. DICE Unit for Ipod (However, you might want to argue that if you have DICE for Ipod then why need a CD player? Well there are moments that you just grab a CD and want to listen in the car (i.e. no time to transfer to Ipod etc.), just want the ***8216;best***8217; of both worlds***8230;.:)
3. Most write-ups refer to trunk installation, involving running wires to console, then the risk of theft as the Ipod sits in the console. I will show the ***8220;Glovebox***8221; installation with DICE Unit hidden behind the M.I.D. Glovebox installation is nice because the Ipod is hidden in the Glovebox, away from thieves***8217; eyes.
-------

1. I got my CD Player from:
www.midwestelectronics.com
(They are US authorized Blaupunkt dealer as well for repair for Blaupunkt Electronics). Although you can buy a Business CD Player from ebay etc. with risks, the service at Midwest Electronics is unbeatable:
- I have known them for 10 years (West suburb of Chicago)
- $259 + shipping (they dropped the price recently), so although this was listed on their website as a ***8220;refurbished***8221; item, when I received it, the CD player looks brand new without a scratch, exactly as the salesman told me! So for the price and service, it is unbeatable, much better than ebay etc., IMHO.
- warranty for one year.

2. The DICE Unit came from Tom from european auto source; excellent service:
(Tom, btw, if you want to download some of these pics for your website***8217;s tutorial, and since there is no info on 1998 528i yet on your website, go ahead to upload them to your website!!!)
www.europeanautosource.com
Tel 866.669.0705 | Calif: 714.369.8524 | Fax: 714.369.8546
--------
PROCEDURES:
a. Copy the FM channels on a piece of paper because you will lose the FM memories.
b. Use a Towel to protect the gear knob etc.
c. In addition to the Ipod Cable that you order with the DICE kit, it is also useful to use an ***8220;Aux***8221; Cable ($5.95 from Radio Shack) for MP3 Player etc.
d. Remove the M.I.D.: Pull the Volume knob, Torx #10 counter-clockwise

e. Remove the Cassette Player: held by 2 Torx #10 screws.
f. The connector in the back of the Cassette Player (or CD Player is held by a plastic clip, lift it UP and gently pry it out).
g. The DICE Unit goes ***8220;in between***8221; the CD Player and the OEM Connector (see diagram).
h. NOTE regarding the small connector at the bottom of the CD player: the ***8220;Yellow***8221; tab faces UP. Pull the Blue Tab, insert the small rectangular connector COMPLETELY inside so it is flushed with the large connector, re-insert the blue tab and make sure you cannot remove the small connector after the Blue Tab is in.

i. Read the DICE installation instructions, and set the tabs according to your need (Ipod vs MP3 Player).
j. The Business CD player: secure it in place using 2.5mm Hex wrench (not Torx #10).
k. NOTE: ***8220;Hide***8221; the DICE Unit in such as a way that it sits JUST BELOW the M.I.D. This is because let***8217;s say you initially set the tabs for Ipod. Let***8217;s say later if you have an MP3 Player, all you have to do is slide out the M.I.D. using Torx #10, flip the DICE switches to MP3 Player and re-install the M.I.D. (a process that should take less than 60 seconds).

l. Make sure the Ground and Antenna cables are attached properly to the back of the CD Player.

Enjoy the Music***8230;***8230;***8230;.:)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
nice work cn90!

I wonder if theres a CD player to fit behind nav screens instead of my tape deck....
that'd be interesteing if there way......

i kinda like having a tape player...i pulled out some old cassettes i had....one of them is an old demo tape i made about 12 yrs ago when i used to dj back in college....

also pulled out an old house of pain tape - same as it ever was.....

rewinding and forwarding and dolby b/c reduction brings back some memories!

#7 ·
Forgot the "Useful" Addendum:

This instruction comes with DICE:
http://support.diceelectronics.com/files/users_manual_rev_B01.pdf

Read Page 2 Under "Song Browsing" carefully.

1. Select 5-01 (use the buttons next to "m" button to go from 01 to 02 etc.) to enable Ipod.

2. Hit "CD", then 6-04 to display text.

3. Hit "CD", then hit the corresponding number:
CD 1 is track (use the buttons next to "m" button to go from 01 to 02 etc.)
CD 2 is playlist (use the buttons next to "m" button to go from 01 to 02 etc.)
CD 3 is album (use the buttons next to "m" button to go from 01 to 02 etc.)
CD 4 is chapter (use the buttons next to "m" button to go from 01 to 02 etc.)

#8 ·
When replacing your cassette deck with the CD player did you also need to upgrade your wiring harness to the newer R40 style? I have a 3/99 build 528 with the older Ice-Link and am considering the cassette to CD upgrade, however if I have to upgrade the wiring harness I believe it's another $135 plus the cost of the CD unit.

#10 ·

Actually this CD player from www.midwestelectronics.com fits with the OEM plug. I did not need any new wiring harness. Let's say if I did not buy the DICE, then this CD Player plugs right in WITHOUT any new wiring harness. This is the Business CD43 version:
http://www.midwestelectronics.com/bmw-business-cd43-radio-for-5series-e39-1995-to-2003-p-428.html

I bought the R17 kit from Tom @ eas:
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_136_137&products_id=659

I think it is best if you remove your existing Cassette Player (it takes 60 seconds to that!), check your wiring harness against the VERY FIRST picture above.
If that is a match, then order the R17 kit from Tom and you are set to go.
Per Tom's website, the R17 kit covers 1997-2000 5-series.

HTH.

cn90
98 528i

#14 ·
I just installed the DICE in dash unit in my 1999 528i Wagon. These instructions are excellent, but I have 2 cautions/reminders:

1) make sure that you disconnect the battery cables before you start the process (negative cable first).
2) make sure you detach/remove the CD changer from the trunk

These steps are outlined in the instructions that come with the DICE (which is for a trunk installation even for the in dash model).

Also received excellent service from EAS!

#17 ·
About how long did it take you to install the kit? I have an "unknown" CD-Changer in the back (in other words, it's not the black BMW one) as well as another "device" that has two composite, audio or not I have no idea, connected somewhere in the mix. I want to install the new Silverline, but just want to make sure that I get everything right.

Did you install it behind the MID Radio or in the trunk? Any interference?

#15 ·
Damn what a great post to resurrect! I've been having a helluva time with my DICE lately and this .pdf is the bizzy! Thanks! :thumbup:

#16 ·
Pointer to DICE E39 radio mount installation (no tape deck)

Damn what a great post to resurrect!
I agree!

This is the ONLY decent radio-mount step-by-step howto that I could find on Bimmerfest that is even close to my E39 configuration of:
- 2002 E39
- Radio mount
- Analog (non DSP)
- Business CD (no cd changer)
- Bluetooth ready (no phone, nothing set up)
- No satellite, no Sirius
- 6th-generation iPod (that's all they sell at Costco)

Since nothing specific exists here is my attempt at gathering the key references together so the next person starts where we leave off.

And, here is my first attempt at writing up a tutorial for an E39 radio mount without cassette and without cd changer controls:

Thanks!

#22 · (Edited)
Well, I figured it out. I have a '99 5.28iT [build 01/99] with tape, no DSP, CD changer and no BC button. The mystery unit in the rear was something from a company called simple peripherals where it looks like it was 2 RCAs into an 8m adapter. It was connect via the 3-pin and 6-pin and I ended up experimenting with another peripheral unit from Best Buy. It worked flawless except for the fact that it doesn't display song titles and artists. So, I ordered the Silverline with my fingers crossed. Should be here in about 6 days or so. But for now, onto other things.

First and foremost, I want the "BC" functions. Can I get them with a new unit? Secondly, I definitely would love the BCD but was wondering if I need a new plug of sorts? I'm going to take apart my current unit probably tomorrow (after I move) and see what kind of connectors I need. Do I need the other antenna or whatever else that I'm reading about? Thanks again guys! and do I really need to disconnect the battery?

#23 · (Edited)
Plug Pak anyone?

I plugged in the Silverline Pro DICE Unit earlier this week and everything worked great. It took me a little tinkering (reading and comprehending) to figure out how to get the text to finally display, but it's all good now!

I also received a Business CD the other day but apparently I have an incompatible unit harness. My tape deck uses the old harness and after reading it looks like I need a PlugPak? I was excited that I got to take apart the MID so easily and it took me a while to to pull out the tape deck then #FAIL. Definitely anti-climatic as I don't have the right parts. I know that EAS has one avail (http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=291) but is that my only option besides creating a new one? :eek:

Attachments

#25 ·
I plugged in the Silverline Pro DICE Unit earlier this week and everything worked great. It took me a little tinkering (reading and comprehending) to figure out how to get the text to finally display, but it's all good now!

I also received a Business CD the other day but apparently I have an incompatible unit harness. My tape deck uses the old harness and after reading it looks like I need a PlugPak? I was excited that I got to take apart the MID so easily and it took me a while to to pull out the tape deck then #FAIL. Definitely anti-climatic as I don't have the right parts. I know that EAS has one avail (http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=291) but is that my only option besides creating a new one? :eek:
You'll need the updated R40 harness here: http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=665

#28 ·
do i need the r40 harness kit as well?

bottom is the business cd from 02 525
top is 98 tape deck

also do i need to change the fuse? old one was 75 and the cd has a 10

also the big plug and then 2 little plugs went into the tape deck, on the cd it has the big plug hole and another hole....where does the other one plug into?

Attachments

#33 ·
Let's check the basics first, was the antenna (small 90 degree coaxial) connected?

also am i able to run aux to the 02 business cd i have? if so how?

thanks
Radio has to a a MY03+ in order to be AUX capable.

#43 ·
Alex,

Now I understand your issue of AM/FM reception.

I wrote a very long AM-FM antenna fix DIY, all the theory behind it here.

But all you need to do now is to focus on step #12 through 15, just widen the 3-prong on the Antenna connector so it has more contact.
Another trick is to apply a very thin bead of solder on the antenna inner pin so it is a bit "fatter".
This should do it. Report back if this helps you:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4494437

#48 ·
saw this on the e46, wonder if i need to do this, hope not

AM / FM Antenna Amplifier upgrade DIY (when replacing 99-01 radios with 02-05)
Background:

This is a DIY for those who have upgraded their 1999 - 2001 radio head unit to the 2002 - 2005 style. The 99-01 HU's were made by Blaupunkt and the 02 - 05 radios were made by Alpine. Many people have swapped 02+ radios into their 99-01's to take advantage of the increased functionality of the newer style radios (Sirius, AUX input, OEM iPod adapter). NOTE: Sirius requires an 03+ radio.

Anyhow, the one caveat of doing this is a noticeable loss in AM / FM reception when putting the newer HU's into the older car's. The reason for this is because in 2002, BMW changed the type of antenna in the car (NOTE: In all coupes / sedans the antenna is in the rear window-it is not the shark fin or the bee antenna). The older style HU's have 2 antenna connectors on the back of the radio, and the newer radios only have 1. There is an OEM antenna adapter available that converts 1 of the 2 adapters, allowing basic connectivity of a newer HU to a 99-01 car. The unused wire (I believe) is used to power something known as the antenna amplifier, which is located in the rear driver's side C-Pillar. Without that wire connected, there is a significant loss of reception in the AM / FM radio.

Solution

If you want to upgrade to the newer style radio and not suffer any radio reception loss, you must replace the antenna amplifier in the rear C-Pillar. This amplifier also is responsible for the keyless entry in the car, so you may benefit from increased range with the new amplifier as well.

Important: There are 2 different frequencies used for the keyless entry system (315 MHz and 433 MHz). You must first determine which frequency you have before you order an new amplifier. Luckily, your existing amplifier is stamped with the current frequency, so you simply need to pop the C-pillar off and do a visual inspection to determine which part you need to order from the dealer.

Here are the relevant part #'s for the new antenna amplifiers:

433 MHZ 65256906074
315 MHZ 65256906075

And the link to them on realoem.com:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...81&hg=65&fg=30

OEM Antenna adapter:

Comparison of Old vs. New antenna amplifier:

Once you have ordered the proper antenna amplifier (circa $200 from the dealership), installation is pretty easy (takes about 20 minutes). You'll need a flat head screwdriver and a T20 torx screw driver as well. If you can find a stubby T20 torx, that would be very helpful, as the screws are at a hard angle to unscrew.

Step 1: Remove map light. Gently fit a thin flat head screw driver on the top of the map light and pry it out. It will pop right out. Disconnect the light and set it aside.

Step 2: Remove C-Pillar. Its actually easier than it looks. Just reach your hand into the opening where the map light is, and pull. There are 2 plastic pieces holding the C-Pillar on. They should give way, then pop out.

Instructions from the TIS on removing C-Pillar:

Step 3: Remove old antenna amplifier. Use the T20 torx screw driver to remove the old antenna amplifier. I didn't have a stubby torx, and was unable to unscrew the bottom screw, but was able to break the bracket off by bending the amplifier back and forth a few times. No worries, as the one screw holds the amplifier in just fine. Once the amplifier is unscrewed, unplug all the connectors.

Step 4: Connect the new antenna amplifier. I found it easiest to connect all the wires first, then screw the new amplifier into the car. You will notice that there is an extra wire now (this is the wire that powered the older style amplifier that terminates at the HU. It is OK to just tuck this wire under the rear deck. This wire is now connected to nothing at both ends.

Step 5: Verify that everything works. Turn the car on and make sure that both AM / FM radio work. Turn the car off, and verify that the keyless entry works as well. Once everything is tested, simply push the C-pillar cover back on, reconnect the map light, and you're done!

#50 ·
ok so i tried out the pick idea and it was a no go, no idea how you were able to spread the prongs on the head of the old antenna wire but i did noticed when i pressed the old and the new antenna connections together i had no sound but static...i started to play around with it and then i started to pull them further out as in to disconnect it the sound came back and is almost perfect....but if i pull on it a little more then it'll come out so i was thinking of maybe taking electric tape and tape it up the way i have it right now because i have fm/am but i haven't put back the wires and put it back together yet so i hop it hold ups...i'm waiting on my bt kit to get here to finish that up before i put it back together...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.